U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.19%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.77%
Atlanta 579 58.90%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.64%
Detroit 66 6.71%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.53%
Voters: 983. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 PM

1,214 posts, read 786,315 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Detroit stick out to me. Chicago at one point in history may have, but not anymore (especially thanks to the massive waves of Hispanic/Mexican immigration to the city).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Atlanta and Detroit stick out to me. Chicago at one point in history may have, but not anymore (especially thanks to the massive waves of Hispanic/Mexican immigration to the city).
Nobody wants to be in Detroit. It WAS

OAK for the West
DET for the Midwest
DC for the East

in the 60s-80s

Detroit is not in black folks radar anymore fell of heavily after the 1980s

Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

OAK for the West
DET for the Midwest
DC for the East

in the 60s-80s

DC still is.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

OAK for the West
DET for the Midwest
DC for the East

in the 60s-80s

Was Oakland ever over LA even back in those days?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM

1,194 posts, read 585,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you're talking about Forsyth County, I'd disagree. The last place I worked in metro Atlanta was Cumming and I've shopped, eaten out, and even been to court there, and never felt any racist vibes..."sideways" or otherwise. It's just entirely too diverse of a place these days.

To diverse there? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsyth_County,_Georgia

Old 06-10-2019, 10:55 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Was Oakland ever over LA even back in those days?
Just because it was sooo black (47%) and the black panther party. LA was as high as 19% black but it was a much smaller city than today and I don’t think it was ever about black advancement or positivity/not a “serious” black lifestyle

Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Mostly in the southern part of the county which is the cause of its rapid growth and affluence. Cumming proper and the northern half of the county are a different story..as of now anyway.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM

Atlanta benefits from greatly from its HBCU center, regional hub status, cost of living and weather. Colleges will always give an MSA an edge, drawing young people to maintain vibrancy.

NYC why having a huge AA population, I don't know how much it really qualifies compared to some others. It's a lot like Houston, i.e. exceptionally diverse with many ethnicities. However, unlike Houston, for all the AAs there, when was the last time it had an AA Mayor? Houston's had two since Dinkins ran NYC. Whose the Police Chief? Fire Dept? Who runs the Financial District? The southern District of the U.S. Attorney's office, the most powerful regional office in the Justice Dept. You got Jay Z as a billionaire. Houston has one too who made his money in Oil & Gas. Houston's good cost of living, huge Medical center, international seaport, its large HBCU AND the University of Houston will continue to draw.

In general, you can't sleep on Texas as a draw. In terms of state population, only NY, Florida and Georgia have a larger number of AA residents. The state attracts from the southeast, the Midwest and especially California. The number of affordable colleges is significant and nd corporations recruit from all over. The brother of coworker of mine who attended Texas State, south of Austin got hired 12 months ago by Goldman Sachs management training in NYC.

Texas High school sports are top notch. LSU's female track star just broke a 30 year record in the 100 meter sprint. She's from Dallas. The #2 player picked in the MLB draft last week is from Dallas. The top NFL draft pick, Kyler Murray is from Dallas. Texas Tech and University of Houston finished 1st and 3rd in Team titles at the NCAA track championship this week. UofH is coached by two Olympic Gold Medalists in Lloyd Burrell and Carl Lewis.

The newly elected mayor of Dallas, Eric Johnson, grew up in the poor neighborhoods of west Dallas but has degrees from Harvard and Yale. The second black man to be mayor and did it in a city that is not majority AA. Same thing in Houston. Two of the 10 biggest cities in America with AA mayors are in Texas.

I've also lived in DC, Philly and Atlanta and the segregation was much more evident:
D.C. - anything east of the capital, including PG and east Montgomery county(Silver Spring/Green Belt)
Atlanta, South and east side of downtown.
Philly - northwest and near northside.
And I'm talking even people making solid middle class incomes. Yet, I can go to many areas all around Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth ( including the areas called "the mid cities") and find AAs everywhere. I go to Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta proper or Alpharetta and its SPARSE! Someone spoke of Forsyth County, sorry but its unchanged like Cobb for the last 20 years in terms of diversity.

The State of NY is losing population due to lack of jobs outside NYC and high cost of living in the city. That needs to be acknowledged just as posters recognize Chicago is seeing flight by AAs. Had family there too leave. Frankly, I think NYC would have fewer if not for the fear many have of trying something different.

Philly is underrated to some extent. it's had some major challenges the last 30 years but is rebounding because its cost of living compared to D.C. and NYC is reasonable, its got a plethora of colleges - Big 5, Cheney State, etc. has some good industries and if one wants to visits D.C. and NYC, its a few hours train ride. Plus its 75 miles to the beach. There is also power evident at City Hall to have voices heard.

Some spoke of walkability? Its nice to have and I've seen in Dallas a big realization of that in "Uptown" but I'm willing to bet that the OVERWHELMING majority of posters here own their own car and 85% of time use them. I did even in metro D.C. except the one year I worked downtown when I didn't want to pay for parking that I found exorbitant.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Atlanta benefits from greatly from its HBCU center, regional hub status, cost of living and weather. Colleges will always give an MSA an edge, drawing young people to maintain vibrancy.

NYC why having a huge AA population, I don't know how much it really qualifies compared to some others. It's a lot like Houston, i.e. exceptionally diverse with many ethnicities. However, unlike Houston, for all the AAs there, when was the last time it had an AA Mayor? Houston's had two since Dinkins ran NYC. Whose the Police Chief? Fire Dept? Who runs the Financial District? The southern District of the U.S. Attorney's office, the most powerful regional office in the Justice Dept. You got Jay Z as a billionaire. Houston has one too who made his money in Oil & Gas. Houston's good cost of living, huge Medical center, international seaport, its large HBCU AND the University of Houston will continue to draw.

In general, you can't sleep on Texas as a draw. In terms of state population, only NY, Florida and Georgia have a larger number of AA residents. The state attracts from the southeast, the Midwest and especially California. The number of affordable colleges is significant and nd corporations recruit from all over. The brother of coworker of mine who attended Texas State, south of Austin got hired 12 months ago by Goldman Sachs management training in NYC.

Texas High school sports are top notch. LSU's female track star just broke a 30 year record in the 100 meter sprint. She's from Dallas. The #2 player picked in the MLB draft last week is from Dallas. The top NFL draft pick, Kyler Murray is from Dallas. Texas Tech and University of Houston finished 1st and 3rd in Team titles at the NCAA track championship this week. UofH is coached by two Olympic Gold Medalists in Lloyd Burrell and Carl Lewis.

The newly elected mayor of Dallas, Eric Johnson, grew up in the poor neighborhoods of west Dallas but has degrees from Harvard and Yale. The second black man to be mayor and did it in a city that is not majority AA. Same thing in Houston. Two of the 10 biggest cities in America with AA mayors are in Texas.

I've also lived in DC, Philly and Atlanta and the segregation was much more evident:
D.C. - anything east of the capital, including PG and east Montgomery county(Silver Spring/Green Belt)
Atlanta, South and east side of downtown.
Philly - northwest and near northside.
And I'm talking even people making solid middle class incomes. Yet, I can go to many areas all around Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth ( including the areas called "the mid cities") and find AAs everywhere. I go to Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta proper or Alpharetta and its SPARSE! Someone spoke of Forsyth County, sorry but its unchanged like Cobb for the last 20 years in terms of diversity.

The State of NY is losing population due to lack of jobs outside NYC and high cost of living in the city. That needs to be acknowledged just as posters recognize Chicago is seeing flight by AAs. Had family there too leave. Frankly, I think NYC would have fewer if not for the fear many have of trying something different.

Philly is underrated to some extent. it's had some major challenges the last 30 years but is rebounding because its cost of living compared to D.C. and NYC is reasonable, its got a plethora of colleges - Big 5, Cheney State, etc. has some good industries and if one wants to visits D.C. and NYC, its a few hours train ride. Plus its 75 miles to the beach. There is also power evident at City Hall to have voices heard.

Some spoke of walkability? Its nice to have and I've seen in Dallas a big realization of that in "Uptown" but I'm willing to bet that the OVERWHELMING majority of posters here own their own car and 85% of time use them. I did even in metro D.C. except the one year I worked downtown when I didn't want to pay for parking that I found exorbitant.
Nope. Texas has the largest black population in the country.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nope. Texas has the largest black population in the country.
When you post a response to something based on statistics you should provide some independent documentation. I assume you have this link as the basis for your statement:
https://atlantablackstar.com/2018/06...-data-reveals/

This here too says Texas - https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

But the following says NY: Black Population by State 2017
State Population -
New York 3,491,04719
Texas 3,444,19013
Florida 3,408,6324
Georgia 3,240,294

Last edited by walker1962; 06-10-2019 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City