U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.19%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.77%
Atlanta 579 58.90%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.64%
Detroit 66 6.71%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.53%
Voters: 983. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times

Advertisements

Houston is definitely more of a black capital than NYC. NYC is more of just a generic urban northeast capital or Northeastern Black Capital. The black culture up in the far northeast (NNJ-MA) is heavily 'diluted' by West Indians, afro-latinos and Africans. It is not as important or representative to the larger AA population as Houston is. Many AA dont even fully understand that far northern culture.

IMO any place with a decreasing black population cant be considered a black capital. IDK if NYC is losing black population but NYS is and the share of black population in NYC has gone from 29% in 1990 and 27-28% in 2000 to about 21-22% today. That cant possibly be our capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
When you post a response to something based on statistics you should provide some independent documentation. I assume you have this link as the basis for your statement:
https://atlantablackstar.com/2018/06...-data-reveals/

This here too says Texas - https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

But the following says NY: Black Population by State 2017
State Population -
New York 3,491,04719
Texas 3,444,19013
Florida 3,408,6324
Georgia 3,240,294
You posted one of the documentations already and no, it wasn't from atlantablackstar. The point is, it is incorrect, by current estimates, to state that Texas has the fourth largest black population in the US. It wasn't even fourth in the 2000 or 2010 census let alone any year this decade. You could also pull up to factfinder to get the information yourself.

Here is the 1 year estimate for the top 3
Texas 3,712,453
Florida 3,692,327
New York 3,436,650

Here is the 5 year estimate for the top 3
Texas 3,554,499
Florida 3,530,474
New York 3,394,050

Old 06-10-2019, 03:39 PM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Houston is definitely more of a black capital than NYC. NYC is more of just a generic urban northeast capital or Northeastern Black Capital. The black culture up in the far northeast (NNJ-MA) is heavily 'diluted' by West Indians, afro-latinos and Africans. It is not as important or representative to the larger AA population as Houston is. Many AA dont even fully understand that far northern culture.
Cool story, bro.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:47 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,785,265 times
Quote:
I've also lived in DC, Philly and Atlanta and the segregation was much more evident:
D.C. - anything east of the capital, including PG and east Montgomery county(Silver Spring/Green Belt)
Atlanta, South and east side of downtown.
Philly - northwest and near northside.
And I'm talking even people making solid middle class incomes. Yet, I can go to many areas all around Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth ( including the areas called "the mid cities") and find AAs everywhere. I go to Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta proper or Alpharetta and its SPARSE! Someone spoke of Forsyth County, sorry but its unchanged like Cobb for the last 20 years in terms of diversity.

Yes the segregation may be higher in those cities compared to Dallas/Houston due to a plethora of historical reasons but the fact that you think the African American population in Cobb County and other Northern suburbs of Atlanta is sparse is quite laughable. It might not be as high as the South side which is predominately black in most areas, but I see more blacks in Cobb County than I ever did in areas around downtown/uptown in Dallas and a lot of other areas of Dallas. Cobb County has 205K blacks not exactly a small number. There aren't many areas in Atlanta that you can go to that you don't see a presence of blacks except maybe some of the far out exurban areas. I cannot say the same for Dallas there were plenty of times I went out in various parts of town, to various restaurants and didn't see much of a presence of blacks at all.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:

IMO any place with a decreasing black population cant be considered a black capital. IDK if NYC is losing black population but NYS is and the share of black population in NYC has gone from 29% in 1990 and 27-28% in 2000 to about 21-22% today. That cant possibly be our capital.
I'm not buying this presence that NYC is not important as a black city. It may not be THE capital but I definitely think you are downplaying its importance.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:30 PM

904 posts, read 911,862 times
Quote:

NY historically and today still has a greater cultural impact on Black America than Houston. West Indians, Afro Latinos and Africans are still black. Even if just limiting it to African Americans, NYC still has a greater cultural impact. Houston isn't there yet.

And cities like DC and Atlanta have decreasing black populations in the city limits so i'm not sure the usefulness of that statistic. Further, most major cities are seeing decreases in their black populations due to black suburbanization. See below:

Old 06-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I'm not buying this presence that NYC is not important as a black city. It may not be THE capital but I definitely think you are downplaying its importance.
*Not buying this argument.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
I've also lived in DC, Philly and Atlanta and the segregation was much more evident:
D.C. - anything east of the capital, including PG and east Montgomery county(Silver Spring/Green Belt)
Atlanta, South and east side of downtown.
Philly - northwest and near northside.
And I'm talking even people making solid middle class incomes. Yet, I can go to many areas all around Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth ( including the areas called "the mid cities") and find AAs everywhere. I go to Cobb County, northwest of Atlanta proper or Alpharetta and its SPARSE! Someone spoke of Forsyth County, sorry but its unchanged like Cobb for the last 20 years in terms of diversity.

Your credibility is taking major hits here, as you are just making things up at this point:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045218

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
*Not buying this argument.
I didnít see his post. Iím not buying it either. Too much of the cultural rhythms for Black America comes from the NYC area and has been since at least the 20s. Houston was just a small city then. Nobody can ignore that there are over 3 million blacks in the NYC metro area.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 786,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC still is.
Wouldn't ATL be the east/southern city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City