Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
LOL, how the hell does Dallas/FW NOT have a significant black population when the state of Texas has two of the largest black populations of any state in the Union!? Where do you think we all live, in Tyler, Kilgore or Beaumont!? D/FW is 16% AA. That's above the national % for AAs in the U.S. of 13% There are 1,200,000 black people in D/FW. Again, unlike Jawjuh, Texas is much more diverse! Its a majority minority state of which there I believe only three, California and Florida (?) being the others. The state has a 1/3 Latino population. Other than NYC, no other metro area has more H1b Visa work permits, so we have a lot of Asian/Indians. We here in D/FW in big numbers and will grow because the area attracts people and jobs from all of America given its central locale and connectivity. There's a lot of black folks from Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma who come here. A ton of folks from Michigan and Iowa.

One thing Texas isn't worried about is competition from the Peach state. I lived there and y'all still fighting the Civil war a lot more than we are in Texas. In a majority black city, Atlanta can't even get confederate monuments removed. in Dallas, a non-majority black city, several have come down.
Where THE HELL DID I SAY DALLAS DID NOT HAVE A SIGNIFICANT BLACK POPULATION? I SAID Dallas has 1 million blacks obviously there are a lot of blacks there in a lot of areas and that Dallas was more diverse! I never once said Dallas didn't have a significant population, we were rebutting your statement that Cobb County was mostly white and you didn't see a lot of black people there compared to parts of Dallas.. You have to be the most ridiculous poster on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 02:58 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You just keep digging deeper. And who cares if it's transplants, the fact is Cobb County is 28% black - and you claimed it was all white, and hasn't changed in 20 years. Forsyth has gone from zero to 3.9%, along with a booming Asian population.

You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about here, it's just more of the same Anti-Atlanta troll agenda.

And yes, Kemp won Forsyth but NOT Cobb. Stacey carried the rest of the Metro.

Never said Cobb was all white just like you said I said it had not changed. Go to east cobb. It hasn't changed.

And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there? D/FW - Toyota's North American HQ which is 3x the size of MBUSA and Porsche combined in ATL. Getting that alone has a huge multiplier effect with other businesses opening to support that new niche of residents. Then there is NTT Data and Fuji in Dallas. Kubota Tractors, Toyota Financial, Nissan Motor Credit and Honda Financial are in D/FW.

The southeast part of the U.S. has lagged for a long time, compared to NYC/DC, Texas and the West Coast. DFW is second only to NYC in H1B tech visas.

Dude, GDP in Dallas is over $80 billion more than metro Atlanta. Stand down I say! lol

Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Quote:
Never said Cobb was all white just like you said I said it had not changed. Go to east cobb. It hasn't changed.

And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there? D/FW - Toyota's North American HQ which is 3x the size of MBUSA and Porsche combined in ATL. Getting that alone has a huge multiplier effect with other businesses opening to support that new niche of residents. Then there is NTT Data and Fuji in Dallas. Kubota Tractors, Toyota Financial, Nissan Motor Credit and Honda Financial are in D/FW.

The southeast part of the U.S. has lagged for a long time, compared to NYC/DC, Texas and the West Coast. DFW is second only to NYC in H1B tech visas.

Dude, GDP in Dallas is over $80 billion more than metro Atlanta. Stand down I say! lol
I know a lot people try to take Texas out the south but by doing that the region would be weak economically compared to other parts of the country.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
https://www.mdjonline.com/news/censu...19a4e6716.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...litics-n981051

I'm not sure why you continue to say things that are patently false and so easily disprovable.

Quote:
And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there?
https://www.forsythnews.com/local/he...orsyth-county/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/minor...xErijEWKGf1ZJ/

Forsyth County is an exurban bedroom community so you're not going to see a bunch of large companies setting up shop there. The Asian-based businesses operating there are local small businesses.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I bet you were licking your chops to post this. Did somebody in Atlanta run over your dog or something?

But the problem is that the study is flawed because they are looking at differences instead of ratios. That's bad math.

When calculated properly, Atlanta is actually 7th highest among the 50 largest MSAs. That jibes with previous data that shows that Atlanta has one of the highest percentages of Black homeowners in the country. On its face this study sounded suspect.
First, I didn't own a dog when I lived in the ATL. Second, don't try to skew the stats from a reputable source. It is what it is. Third, during the great recession, greater Atlanta had a disproportionate number of foreclosures and bank failures compared to the majority of states. Atlanta, Charlotte, and South Florida were above average in those categories. I work in financial risk management so this was something I kept my eyes own. Those teaser rate home mortgages and HELOCs were irresistible to those in ATL. See in Texas, they learned their lesson from the devastation of the 1980s depression. They changed the laws on HELOCs to limit debt against a home's value.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Where THE HELL DID I SAY DALLAS DID NOT HAVE A SIGNIFICANT BLACK POPULATION? I SAID Dallas has 1 million blacks obviously there are a lot of blacks there in a lot of areas and that Dallas was more diverse! I never once said Dallas didn't have a significant population, we were rebutting your statement that Cobb County was mostly white and you didn't see a lot of black people there compared to parts of Dallas.. You have to be the most ridiculous poster on city-data.
You I believe said that upon visiting D/FW you said you saw no black people. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else's reply?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You mean besides the newest stadium in the NFL that hosted the Super Bowl earlier this year and the newest ballpark in the MLB that will host the All-Star game in two years? Well the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center was built in 2007 and a 5,000-seat arena that will host an NBA G-League team is under construction and will open its doors this fall in College Park next to the Georgia International Convention Center.

Any more irrelevant inquiries that you could have simply Googled?
Ok so since I left Atlanta in 2001.
Suntrust Park, Mercedes Benz, Overpriced/trying to hard/Stadium, and Gwinnett Arena. And a 5,000 seat facility. A few nice additions

D/FW in that same time:

2001 American Airlines Center. 21,000 seat arena
2002 - 3,000 seat Eisenmann Center in suburban Richardson
2002 - The Theatre at Grand Prairie in between Dallas and Fort Worth - seats 6,350
2005 - Toyota Stadium for FC Dallas - 20,500; the FBS college football title game has been played there too the last three years.
2009 - Winspear Opera House - seats 2,400
2009 - Wyly Center for performing Arts opens in Dallas
2009 - Cowboys Stadium opens, costing $1.2 billion with 20,000 more seats than lil ole MB stadium and with a better TV lol
2012 - College Park Center at UT Arlington, seats up to 7,000. The WNBA Dallas Wings play there.
2016 - The Star in Frisco, TX, the Dallas Cowboys HQ. The Facility includes a 12,000 seat indoor facility that has hosted Music concerts, the Conference USA Hoops Tourney, and a Showtime Boxing event
2017 - Toyota Music Factory Amphitheatre in suburban Irving opens, seating over 8,000, what really nice about this venue is the retractable walls that can make it outdoor or indoor.
2020 - Dickies Arena in Fort Worth, opens, seating 14,000. An NCAA Regional is scheduled there in two years.

Looks like metro Atlanta has some catching up to do, especially for venues not centered on sports.

I notice

Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
^^Trying to figure out your end goal here and what it has to do with the topic. You seem to want to diss Atlanta to only prop up Dallas.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I know a lot people try to take Texas out the south but by doing that the region would be weak economically compared to other parts of the country.

Texas and Florida are the not as southern in personality as the other states of the old confederacy given latin influence. For Texas, its history is even more mixed given it ties to Mexico/Spain, some French influence (one of Six Flags over Texas), its Oil and Gas industry which only Louisiana has in the south, a Technology sector far bigger than any other state,, German settlement of the 1850s and ranching (cattle) than farming. Texas is a transitional state. Southern, Western and Latin and Black are the most prevalent influences.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:53 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
First, I didn't own a dog when I lived in the ATL. Second, don't try to skew the stats from a reputable source. It is what it is. Third, during the great recession, greater Atlanta had a disproportionate number of foreclosures and bank failures compared to the majority of states. Atlanta, Charlotte, and South Florida were above average in those categories. I work in financial risk management so this was something I kept my eyes own. Those teaser rate home mortgages and HELOCs were irresistible to those in ATL. See in Texas, they learned their lesson from the devastation of the 1980s depression. They changed the laws on HELOCs to limit debt against a home's value.
First of all, I wasn't even replying to you.

Second of all, if you believe everything you read just because it's on the internet, then that tells me everything I need to know about you. It's obvious that your math skills aren't up to par here and I'm not going to take the time to explain how ratios work because I'm not getting paid for it. But the fact that you work in financial risk management and can't see the flaw in how this ranking was calculated is pretty concerning.

Thirdly, yes Atlanta was hit especially hard by foreclosures due to the recession because Black America was hit especially hard and Atlanta has an especially large Black population. That's not rocket science
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City