U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.19%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.77%
Atlanta 579 58.90%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.64%
Detroit 66 6.71%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.53%
Voters: 983. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 PM

1,194 posts, read 585,574 times

Advertisements

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/11...-homeownership

Shame that Atlanta has such high stature for Black Americans but such low homeownership (bottom ten cities out of 50 largest) for African Americans.

https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...=Skimlinks.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Dallas has a black mayor, black city manager, and a black female police chief. Thatís a very impressive feat and a good indicator that black people in DFW are doing alright in a very diverse metro area.
Yep, the Dallas County Commissioner, John Wiley Price, is a black man and has held the spot for over 12 years. Two of the last three Dallas County DAs have been black.

And the mayor of Plano, a Dallas suburb of over 300,000 residents is a black man from Haiti. Plano is a MAJOR corporate city with Toyota, Penneys, Chase, HP, Frito-Lay, Capital One Bank, Liberty Mutual and NTT Data all with big campuses there. He was just re-elected.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Your posts are hilarious. You're posting a bunch of random info that has nothing to do with anything to try to divert away from the topic at hand which is the fact that you claim the black population of Cobb County is sparse and the claim that you see more black people in a lot of areas of Dallas which isn't true. What doe entertainment venues have to do with anything? I never said you didn't see blacks in Dallas at all or that blacks were a figment of my imagination, Dallas has 1 million blacks obviously there are a lot of blacks there in a lot of areas. Stop trying to gaslight. I just said you see a lot more blacks in a lot more places in metro Atlanta. I said there are a lot of areas where you don't see a presence of blacks and it has been discussed on this forum before in numerous threads before that discussed comparisons of black culture in Dallas vs Houston and other cities. I actually said Atlanta was more segregated so your statements talking about how diverse the Latino population and other groups has nothing to do with anything that were are discussing. I've been to all the places you have mentioned and far more than that, I know what the area is like. You have an agenda and are unable to state anything on this forum that doesn't also come with an extremely biased viewpoint.
LOL, how the hell does Dallas/FW NOT have a significant black population when the state of Texas has two of the largest black populations of any state in the Union!? Where do you think we all live, in Tyler, Kilgore or Beaumont!? D/FW is 16% AA. That's above the national % for AAs in the U.S. of 13% There are 1,200,000 black people in D/FW. Again, unlike Jawjuh, Texas is much more diverse! Its a majority minority state of which there I believe only three, California and Florida (?) being the others. The state has a 1/3 Latino population. Other than NYC, no other metro area has more H1b Visa work permits, so we have a lot of Asian/Indians. We here in D/FW in big numbers and will grow because the area attracts people and jobs from all of America given its central locale and connectivity. There's a lot of black folks from Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma who come here. A ton of folks from Michigan and Iowa.

One thing Texas isn't worried about is competition from the Peach state. I lived there and y'all still fighting the Civil war a lot more than we are in Texas. In a majority black city, Atlanta can't even get confederate monuments removed. in Dallas, a non-majority black city, several have come down.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:42 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
I feel I've stumbled into the Texass version of Romper Room...

Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/11...-homeownership

Shame that Atlanta has such high stature for Black Americans but such low homeownership (bottom ten cities out of 50 largest) for African Americans.

https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...=Skimlinks.com
I bet you were licking your chops to post this. Did somebody in Atlanta run over your dog or something?

But the problem is that the study is flawed because they are looking at differences instead of ratios. That's bad math.

When calculated properly, Atlanta is actually 7th highest among the 50 largest MSAs. That jibes with previous data that shows that Atlanta has one of the highest percentages of Black homeowners in the country. On its face this study sounded suspect.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:46 AM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I bet you were licking your chops to post this. Did somebody in Atlanta run over your dog or something?

But the problem is that the study is flawed because they are looking at differences instead of ratios. That's bad math.

When calculated properly, Atlanta is actually 7th highest among the 50 largest MSAs. That jibes with previous data that shows that Atlanta has one of the highest percentages of Black homeowners in the country. On its face this study sounded suspect.
Additionally, they're ranking the 50 largest metros overall. It would be different if they ranked it by 50 largest Black metro communities in which the Jackson metro would be number 1.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,785,265 times
Quote:
LOL, how the hell does Dallas/FW NOT have a significant black population when the state of Texas has two of the largest black populations of any state in the Union!? Where do you think we all live, in Tyler, Kilgore or Beaumont!? D/FW is 16% AA. That's above the national % for AAs in the U.S. of 13% There are 1,200,000 black people in D/FW. Again, unlike Jawjuh, Texas is much more diverse! Its a majority minority state of which there I believe only three, California and Florida (?) being the others. The state has a 1/3 Latino population. Other than NYC, no other metro area has more H1b Visa work permits, so we have a lot of Asian/Indians. We here in D/FW in big numbers and will grow because the area attracts people and jobs from all of America given its central locale and connectivity. There's a lot of black folks from Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma who come here. A ton of folks from Michigan and Iowa.

One thing Texas isn't worried about is competition from the Peach state. I lived there and y'all still fighting the Civil war a lot more than we are in Texas. In a majority black city, Atlanta can't even get confederate monuments removed. in Dallas, a non-majority black city, several have come down.
Where THE HELL DID I SAY DALLAS DID NOT HAVE A SIGNIFICANT BLACK POPULATION? I SAID Dallas has 1 million blacks obviously there are a lot of blacks there in a lot of areas and that Dallas was more diverse! I never once said Dallas didn't have a significant population, we were rebutting your statement that Cobb County was mostly white and you didn't see a lot of black people there compared to parts of Dallas.. You have to be the most ridiculous poster on city-data.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You just keep digging deeper. And who cares if it's transplants, the fact is Cobb County is 28% black - and you claimed it was all white, and hasn't changed in 20 years. Forsyth has gone from zero to 3.9%, along with a booming Asian population.

You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about here, it's just more of the same Anti-Atlanta troll agenda.

And yes, Kemp won Forsyth but NOT Cobb. Stacey carried the rest of the Metro.

Never said Cobb was all white just like you said I said it had not changed. Go to east cobb. It hasn't changed.

And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there? D/FW - Toyota's North American HQ which is 3x the size of MBUSA and Porsche combined in ATL. Getting that alone has a huge multiplier effect with other businesses opening to support that new niche of residents. Then there is NTT Data and Fuji in Dallas. Kubota Tractors, Toyota Financial, Nissan Motor Credit and Honda Financial are in D/FW.

The southeast part of the U.S. has lagged for a long time, compared to NYC/DC, Texas and the West Coast. DFW is second only to NYC in H1B tech visas.

Dude, GDP in Dallas is over $80 billion more than metro Atlanta. Stand down I say! lol

Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM

4,135 posts, read 7,188,135 times
Quote:
Never said Cobb was all white just like you said I said it had not changed. Go to east cobb. It hasn't changed.

And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there? D/FW - Toyota's North American HQ which is 3x the size of MBUSA and Porsche combined in ATL. Getting that alone has a huge multiplier effect with other businesses opening to support that new niche of residents. Then there is NTT Data and Fuji in Dallas. Kubota Tractors, Toyota Financial, Nissan Motor Credit and Honda Financial are in D/FW.

The southeast part of the U.S. has lagged for a long time, compared to NYC/DC, Texas and the West Coast. DFW is second only to NYC in H1B tech visas.

Dude, GDP in Dallas is over $80 billion more than metro Atlanta. Stand down I say! lol
I know a lot people try to take Texas out the south but by doing that the region would be weak economically compared to other parts of the country.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
https://www.mdjonline.com/news/censu...19a4e6716.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...litics-n981051

I'm not sure why you continue to say things that are patently false and so easily disprovable.

Quote:
And 3.9% wow! I'm overwhelmed..not. Booming Asian? Doubtful. How many Asian-based businesses have moved there?
https://www.forsythnews.com/local/he...orsyth-county/

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/minor...xErijEWKGf1ZJ/

Forsyth County is an exurban bedroom community so you're not going to see a bunch of large companies setting up shop there. The Asian-based businesses operating there are local small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City