U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.17%
Phil 17 1.72%
DC 96 9.74%
Atlanta 580 58.82%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.72%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 27 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.69%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.01%
There is none. 75 7.61%
Voters: 986. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:04 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Says the man from Atlanta...
To let JMATL tell it, black and white residents have more socially interacted with each other in Atlanta over the years than in any other Southern city inhabited by 100k or black residents. Common sense say it's a load of crap when dissimilarity indexes show that black and white residents have been more geographically isolated from each other in Atlanta over the years than those in each and every one of those same Southern cities. And while a lot's been said about more black people moving to the Atlanta area than any other area, if past official census and black demographic figures of states in the South were closely studied, the connection wouldv'e been made between that and the fact that more black people left Georgia during the Great Migration than any other Southern state. With that, something else to mull over would be why black people left Georgia in the greatest numbers.[/quote]

Wow, so your tired narrative continues I see.

What I have said in the past is that there is a 'comfort level' here between the races that is not found everywhere, which is absolutely true. You can't dispute this.

Georgia is physically the largest State east of the Mississippi, and was heavily populated in the rural Counties when things turned sour during the Great Migration. There were tons of agricultural and mill jobs that evaporated almost simultaneously. Have you ever even considered that at all?

Of course not, as your narrative is that there was a lynching on practically every corner in Atlanta multiple times weekly back then. You are a one note wonder that never changes your agenda against Atlanta and Georgia, yet you live in New Orleans. You don't have a hell of a lot to proud of with Louisiana's history back then, but it is somehow never addressed or even acknowledged. When brought up, you just fade away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 03:02 PM

245 posts, read 67,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You've definitely gotta consider the bigger picture and not just a current snapshot in time. Even so I'm not sure what you mean by Atlanta not being different than other cities with a popular large black group. All cities with large Black populations are dealing with similar issues, but not all have similar advantages and such.
What advantages?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
First, all the southern cities are majority black with significant black history for their states.

They are generally viewed that way yet still gaining blacks from out of state. If you examine them closely you'll find some gems. Jackson metro for example have the highest or one of the highest Black home ownership ratio compared to other Black metro communities of immense size.
Ok and?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/6/11...-homeownership

Shame that Atlanta has such high stature for Black Americans but such low homeownership (bottom ten cities out of 50 largest) for African Americans.

https://www.lendingtree.com/home/mor...=Skimlinks.com
From what I experienced Atlantaís black population mostly buys outside of the city limits and Iím sure a website like curbed.com is mainly talking about the city limits.

But I do find it awkward that black folks there rep the city so hard even though their strengths are mostly outside of it.

For example here in NYC black folks who live in Long Island and are uppity typically look down on blacks who live in the boroughs and rep Long Island with pride.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,510,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
From what I experienced Atlantaís black population mostly buys outside of the city limits and Iím sure a website like curbed.com is mainly talking about the city limits.

They do, and they are talking about the City Limits.

Quote:
But I do find it awkward that black folks there rep the city so hard even though their strengths are mostly outside of it.

For example here in NYC black folks who live in Long Island and are uppity typically look down on blacks who live in the boroughs and rep Long Island with pride.

The entire Metro is collectively referred to as Atlanta here. They are repping all of it.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 631,133 times
Quote:
Ok and?
And what else you want to know. There's obviously many things you may not be aware of these places.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
What advantages?
The HBCUs, the plethora of Black cultural events and institutions, the longstanding Black political leadership, the size of the Black middle class, etc.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 PM

920 posts, read 1,016,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
To let JMATL tell it, black and white residents have more socially interacted with each other in Atlanta over the years than in any other Southern city inhabited by 100k or black residents. Common sense say it's a load of crap when dissimilarity indexes show that black and white residents have been more geographically isolated from each other in Atlanta over the years than those in each and every one of those same Southern cities. And while a lot's been said about more black people moving to the Atlanta area than any other area, if past official census and black demographic figures of states in the South were closely studied, the connection wouldv'e been made between that and the fact that more black people left Georgia during the Great Migration than any other Southern state. With that, something else to mull over would be why black people left Georgia in the greatest numbers.

Wow, so your tire

What I have said in the past is that there is a 'comfort level' here between the races that is not found everywhere, which is absolutely true. You can't dispute this.

Georgia is physica

Based on average dissimilarity index, Atlanta (88.1) has been more racially segregated than any other Southern city of at least 100,000 black residents, while New Orleans (78.7) has been less racially segregated than any other Southern city of at least 100,000 black residents since 1940. You won't convince a soul that there's been more black-white social interaction in Atlanta than in New Orleans when Atlanta has ranked first and New Orleans has ranked last among those Southern cities in black-white geographical isolation. Due to the cultural homogeneity which has defined the white population of Atlanta and the cultural heterogeneity which has defined the white population of New Orleans, you know in regards to their attitudes towards black residents that there's been stronger white solidarity in Atlanta than in New Orleans.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 AM

920 posts, read 1,016,369 times

While I've never read anything about a comfort level, I have read about just how very socially stratified the races are in Atlanta and you can't dispute that.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 AM

1,224 posts, read 581,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post

While I've never read anything about a comfort level, I have read about just how very socially stratified the races are in Atlanta and you can't dispute that.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City