Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
So if an individual doesn't agree lock, stock and barrel with the black community, he's a KKK member posing as black? Ridiculous. I'm posting a YouTube video proving I'm black, but I shouldn't have to. It's sad that in 2010, you either fulfill the stereotypes or you're ostracized by the black community.
Oh Kazoowriter it's not that simple.

I believe you are black, but something pretty traumatic must've happened to shade your views of AA's and AA culture this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
So if an individual doesn't agree lock, stock and barrel with the black community, he's a KKK member posing as black? Ridiculous. I'm posting a YouTube video proving I'm black, but I shouldn't have to. It's sad that in 2010, you either fulfill the stereotypes or you're ostracized by the black community.
Welcome to my world, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Oh Kazoowriter it's not that simple.

I believe you are black, but something pretty traumatic must've happened to shade your views of AA's and AA culture this way. I often feel sorry for you, but then you always end up making a comment (like the ghetto *black* style of dress) that ticks most of us off.
Probably the rise of the anti-intellectual, thug-embracing, subculture that for some reason, many idiots bought into as "culture" and many otherwise well-meaning blacks tolerated and became apologist/defenders for the negative behavior.

What happened to the progressive black behavior of the 60s. What happened to the "embrace all blacks nevertheless" attitude of the 70s. Hell, what happened to the positive and empowering messages of early hip-hop of the 80s and early 90s.

No those things weren't good enough. The black community had to go to "I'm a thug" gangsta rap, "I be up in da club" glam rap, and "I'm a be dis and dat" ebonics talk Southern rap to speak for the culture. And those who spoke out were tortured in many ways whether socially, mentally, or even physically. How is that any different than say, Pol Pot, did to the Cambodians who were intellectual, had diverging ideas, and wanted to practice their own religion.

As for the last part about dissing Southern Rap, this isn't to diss the Southern Culture as a whole where a lot of the black culture originates from. There are a lot of things I admire about the South, especially in the 21st Century, including the racial progress the region has made, the laid-back pace of life, the openly social and friendly environment, the passion of things like college (SEC) football, the cooking and food, and the Southern accent on women, which is my favorite accent for any chick. (And yes, there is a difference between a Southern accent and an Ebonics/ghetto accent). I would rank the South as wonderful as I do with the Western US if it wasn't for the racism, which I know is declining but still has work. But I'm sorry, people like Soulja Boi and Lil Wayne, the current symbols of Southern Rap are modern day blackface minstrels.

Like how many blacks, including myself, would rather have seen racism than covert racism, I would rather have the black community rather admit that they're now militant than try to act like they're still in the "we are one" days of the later 20th Century.

*Although I will admit that this is my experience from dealing with the local DC black community. So show me a black community who still holds the positive aspects of the culture of days past without the bastardized aspects of the present, and I'll show you someone who's less cynical.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 10-15-2010 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 09:57 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
^I think you've missed my point.

One persons experience is just that, their experience. I can respect his struggles (I for one am aware that everything isn't always peachy for the multi-racial) but instead of telling us that we should conform to what's considered "mainstream American", why not encourage individuality?

What is the problem with embracing the things that feel most comfortable to me. That is what he has done, so why can't I do the same?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Welcome to my world, bro.

Probably the rise of the anti-intellectual, thug-embracing, subculture that for some reason, many idiots bought into as "culture" and many otherwise well-meaning blacks tolerated and became apologist/defenders for the negative behavior.
I don't know who you're talking about. But I have never embraced thuggish behavior and am not a defender of anything negative. Though I admit that I have little tolerance for intellectuals. They are usually extremely smug and think they're God.

You guys aren't the only ones that have been talked about by your own kind. I've had plenty of black people call me an oreo, or say I wasn't really black or something like that. It's frustrating, but I get over it.

I realize that a lot of this negative behavior has been influenced by years of physical, emotional, and psychological abuse and most of these people never had a chance from the time they were born. Therefore, I feel like it is my job, as an educated black man, to defend every aspect of our culture from unfair judgement, while at the same time promoting positive information towards my own.

In other words, I don't consider somebody a sellout for wanting to get an education. But I do consider somebody a sellout if they get an education,and then do nothing but look down upon and scoff at those they left behind.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:36 AM

By the way, fairfax. It's not just southern rap that sucks now. ALL mainstream rap sucks these days. Name me one mainstream person from New York that has come out in recent years (in other words old guys like Rakim and Nas don't count) that has been any better than most current southern rappers. It's funny how when mainstream Hip-Hop goes downhill the south gets all the credit. But the south never got any credit when Geto Boys, Outkast, Goodie Mobb, Triple Six Mafia, and 8ball, UGK and MJG were dropping in the 90s (and in Geto Boys case since the late 80s, though to be fair, the version of the Geto Boys we know and love now didn't come until the early 90s either).

Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would say DC because that's where the President is.
And the president is from Chicago.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
^I think you've missed my point.

One persons experience is just that, their experience. I can respect his struggles (I for one am aware that everything isn't always peachy for the multi-racial) but instead of telling us that we should conform to what's considered "mainstream American", why not encourage individuality?

What is the problem with embracing the things that feel most comfortable to me. That is what he has done, so why can't I do the same?
Individuality is all good. But on that same note, blacks who do their own thing when it comes to doing stuff that isn't considered culturally black get dogged on like it's no tomorrow.

But what I'm finding with today, and this problem applies not to just blacks but all Americans, is that in today's society, people who overly gloat about being "individual" are some of the biggest conformists. Adapting to the hood-and-hustle life, surfer bro style, fratboy trend, or NJ/LI "Jersey Shore" culture isn't being individual. It's imitating what's popular and cool. I'm not saying you're guilty of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I don't know who you're talking about. But I have never embraced thuggish behavior and am not a defender of anything negative. Though I admit that I have little tolerance for intellectuals. They are usually extremely smug and think they're God.
I'll agree that many intellectuals are extremely smug, especially after being in a city where they're concentrated. And granted that you personally never have defended such behavior, and it's possibly different in that sense with blacks in Texas, but from my experiences, that's how it is where I live.

Quote:
You guys aren't the only ones that have been talked about by your own kind. I've had plenty of black people call me an oreo, or say I wasn't really black or something like that. It's frustrating, but I get over it.

I realize that a lot of this negative behavior has been influenced by years of physical, emotional, and psychological abuse and most of these people never had a chance from the time they were born. Therefore, I feel like it is my job, as an educated black man, to defend every aspect of our culture from unfair judgement, while at the same time promoting positive information towards my own.
More power to you to defend every aspect of the culture. But again, that could be because of being embraced by the majority of fellow blacks when you were growing up. What I don't get is why the Jewish people, the only culture/religion that has been more hated worldwide than blacks (which most of the hatred to us is in America anyway) don't have this "crab mentality" that the black community currently has.

Quote:
In other words, I don't consider somebody a sellout for wanting to get an education. But I do consider somebody a sellout if they get an education,and then do nothing but look down upon and scoff at those they left behind.
I can see the understanding in being a sellout if the place you came from genuinely helped you to get to where you are. In that case, then the least you can do is give back. But if you were given crap during the struggle and work years, then I see no point to going back to haters who will even be more envious now that you're at another level.

Quote:
By the way, fairfax. It's not just southern rap that sucks now. ALL mainstream rap sucks these days. Name me one mainstream person from New York that has come out in recent years (in other words old guys like Rakim and Nas don't count) that has been any better than most current southern rappers. It's funny how when mainstream Hip-Hop goes downhill the south gets all the credit. But the south never got any credit when Geto Boys, Outkast, Goodie Mobb, Triple Six Mafia, and 8ball, UGK and MJG were dropping in the 90s (and in Geto Boys case since the late 80s, though to be fair, the version of the Geto Boys we know and love now didn't come until the early 90s either).
That's one thing I can completely agree with you there.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
And the president is from Chicago.
Obama is from Hawaii.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Obama is from Hawaii.
That's where has born but not where he spent most of his years growing up and started his career as an adult.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM

320 posts, read 717,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, but for the most part the black people that you see today aren't descendents of Africans who decided to make America their new home. Russian culture is not American culture, Polish culture is not American culture, Black culture IS American culture.
Thank you!!!!!

I've always said that Black People are as American as Apple Pie . It's not just Whites who influenced this culture; Blacks had played a huuuuuuuge role in the development of this country as well. We just did it in slightly different ways.

Just think about it. What would American food be without Blacks (as well as European, Chinese, Carribean and Latin Immigrants)? It would taste as bland as the food in England. What would American music sound like without Black folks? What about American dance? I don't even wanna immagine that . What would American English sound like without black folks? We would probably sound like Canadians eh? What would agriculture be without Black folks?

(Here's a little food for thought (no pun intended). Blacks folks contribute greatly in the cultivation of cotton, rice, yams, penuts, okra, watermelon, sorghum, indigo. We also brought over a variety of agricultural techniques from Africa and other parts of the Americas like crop rotation and soil replenishment that would literally save agriculture in the south.)

What would American sports be without blacks? Yiiiiiikes !!!!!! What would American warfare be without Blacks soldiers? Buffalo Soldiers, Tuskegee Airmen, 54th Massachusetts Infantry, etc. What would America be without Oprah? White women would be veeeeerrrrrry depressed !!!! What about the many inventions that was patented by blacks?

There's isn't a major American invention or innovation alive that Black people didn't put thier fingers on. Look it up. You'll be surprise what black folks were apart of.

I'm not saying we should get all of the credit, but we did play a huge role in shaping American culture. Ultimately, it was white folks and other groups who built a larger part of this country. However, Blacks not only built a large of this country, but more importantly, it was our cultural contributions blacks that help give this country an unique identity that would distinguish us from the British. An identity that would eventually be known as American Culture.

I get mad when people like Kazoopilot say that Black folks need to strip their culture entirely an completely assimulate into white culture. Firstly, most white folks won't allow it. Secondly, we are american culture!!!!! If you strip black folks identity then Americans won't have an identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City