U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.31%
Phil 17 1.77%
DC 94 9.79%
Atlanta 560 58.33%
Memphis 10 1.04%
New ORleans 24 2.50%
Houston 17 1.77%
Seattle 11 1.15%
Chicago 26 2.71%
Detroit 66 6.88%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.04%
There is none. 74 7.71%
Voters: 960. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:15 PM

4,045 posts, read 7,070,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Go back here to see how Marshall entered the conversation.
^Even with that said no need for him to throw Willey College under the bus. HBCU have a hard enough time getting respect as it is. If he understood the demographics of Texas he would understand Marshall, Texas significant to black Texans. The majority of those native black Texans roots came from East Texas. Marshall at that time was the cultural capital and still in many regards considered the culture capital of East Texas. Bishop College and Wiley College laid the foundation for the civil rights movement in the state of Texas. Rather the poster wants to acknowledge it or not it is his business. When it comes to subjects regarding "Black America" this is the main reason I make such sarcastic comments because some Atlantans disregard the rest of black history as if there’s trump all. Black America is bigger than the 1.7 million blacks that encompass Metro ATL. Knowledge is infinite people...If there is a such thing as a black capital Atlanta wins no contest.

Last edited by kdogg817; 10-20-2010 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,101,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
ha ha you got jokes...but nope it aint Fort Worth...I don't expect an Atlantan to know the answer to the question considering everything begins and end in ATL as far as the black experience in America.
ouch!Hey man.I have stood up for Dallas (especially) black roots many of times when YOU were getting hammered by the "Houston Homies"

Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I just find it odd and disrespectful that some posters are ashamed of Atlanta's blackness and try to minimize and deny it. I think Atlanta's blackness is what makes it unique and it should be embraced by residents such as yourself.
I gotta take up for Johnatl.That is not what he was saying.He is often speaking out against racist,sexist or other remarks.With this comment I agree with him.The only reason I did not say anything is because he already did.

We have had a topic about this before on C-D where I brought up that very same thing.I mentioned something to the fact that in order to be a truly international city it must be unified in one culture.The wording I could have said better as I originally said it was a positive thing about Atlanta being less black.Some "psuedo" liberal white guy from a Northern state who hates Atlanta asked me why would I want to diminish the black population of Atlanta as that is the only thing(in his mid) that made it unique.He then turned it around and tried to act as if I was the one who said diminish when in reality I only meant that every great city has to grow and change to become more accepting and wordily of all culture.We cannot be selfish but we can respect what we have by also respecting other newcomers ways as well

When I explained,he got really indignant and acused me of being a racist!I told him Im black,he preceded to tell me off and feign like he was defending the honor of the black race.Even though the other posters (whom were black) also understood what I said.

So no that is not what he meant.Go back and look through many of his post and you will see he is a very open ,honest and fair poster.In fact most of the Atlanta posters are like that.Black,Asian or white

Old 10-20-2010, 05:39 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,986,637 times
Quote:
I just find it odd and disrespectful that some posters are ashamed of Atlanta's blackness and try to minimize and deny it. I think Atlanta's blackness is what makes it unique and it should be embraced by residents such as yourself.
LOL! Try again.

You could not possiby be more insulting if you tried, which I'm sure you will.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,986,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I gotta take up for Johnatl.That is not what he was saying.He is often speaking out against racist,sexist or other remarks.With this comment I agree with him.The only reason I did not say anything is because he already did.

We have had a topic about this before on C-D where I brought up that very same thing.I mentioned something to the fact that in order to be a truly international city it must be unified in one culture.The wording I could have said better as I originally said it was a positive thing about Atlanta being less black.Some "psuedo" liberal white guy from a Northern state who hates Atlanta asked me why would I want to diminish the black population of Atlanta as that is the only thing(in his mid) that made it unique.He then turned it around and tried to act as if I was the one who said diminish when in reality I only meant that every great city has to grow and change to become more accepting and wordily of all culture.We cannot be selfish but we can respect what we have by also respecting other newcomers ways as well

When I explained,he got really indignant and acused me of being a racist!I told him Im black,he preceded to tell me off and feign like he was defending the honor of the black race.Even though the other posters (whom were black) also understood what I said.

So no that is not what he meant.Go back and look through many of his post and you will see he is a very open ,honest and fair poster.In fact most of the Atlanta posters are like that.Black,Asian or white
Just so you'll know, you are speaking to the exact same poster that you reference. He is using a new name. It appears his hatred of Atlanta has only grown worse.

And thanks for the props!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM

442 posts, read 694,031 times
Quote:
I find it stupid that certain closet racist poster would try to patronize the Atlanta posters by claiming there is nothing but "black music" in Atlanta, as if so called "black music" even exist and subsequently implying all black people only like what is portrayed as "black music" ( rap, r&b) which is a lie at best; meanwhile Atlanta has a very diverse music scene from hip hop to metal to trance to noise and everything in between. Nice try though.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,763,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
I find it stupid that certain closet racist poster would try to patronize the Atlanta posters by claiming there is nothing but "black music" in Atlanta, as if so called "black music" even exist and subsequently implying all black people only like what is portrayed as "black music" ( rap, r&b) which is a lie at best; meanwhile Atlanta has a very diverse music scene from hip hop to metal to trance to noise and everything in between. Nice try though.
there is so much more about Atlanta than just rap. I mean Martin Luther King anybody?????

Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 PM

You know,when I was writing this I thought about the strange similarities.Someone also Repped and said the same about you.oddly enough they left no name.I guess they thought I would be two faced.
So sad some people need to resort to such low and childish games.It's just a forum for gods sake!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,544,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! Try again.

You could not possiby be more insulting if you tried, which I'm sure you will.
I have said my piece. I just think it is sad that in 2010 some still equate Black with Bad. Atlanta is firmly the Black Capital of America whether some want to accept it or not. Being Black does not make it a bad place, it is what has made it such a successful place for African Americans and I only see its Black population growing. Using terms like "Ghetto" are just code words for Black neighborhoods. I just hope the racism one day ends and we can all live in harmony. Who cares if a place is majority black, it is not a stain on you. We are all human after all. Good day, and please stop accusing me of being other posters, it is childish and not why I joined this forum.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 AM

320 posts, read 613,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Everything else you wrote is true except the bolded. It's Chicago or NYC kind of cold, but we do in fact have a winter here. It's not anything like the "year round warm weather" you would find in California, Florida or south Texas.
BET and TV one is based in the DC area and Ebony/Jet is based in Chicago. What do you mean I'm wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City