U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM

7,859 posts, read 11,969,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
lil wayne alone has dominated the MAINSTREAM rap scene for the last five years--and being that he is born and raised in NOLA, he has done a HELL of a job putting that city on the map.

Lil Wayne has been popular, but that is literally the only main stream act out of NOLA at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong). However if you look at both the Hip-Hop and R&B charts they are dominated by Atlanta artists, and those that are not are typically produced in Atlanta.

Quote:
While rappers like T.I. and Gucci Mane have obviously done a great job of this in Atlanta, it simply cannot be compared to what lil wayne has done for NOLA.
As for this... Those dudes, while popular, didn't have to "do" anything for Atlanta's Hip-Hop and R&B scene as it was already well established before they even became popular. Does Babyface, TLC or Outkast (or several dozen other top acts during the 90s and 00s) ring a bell?

EDIT

Wait, wait, wait. Are you seriously arguing New Orleans is the capital of Black America solely because of the efforts of Lil Wayne. What the waka flocka? Can't believe I fell for that...

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-12-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 PM

802 posts, read 922,910 times
Quote:
lil wayne alone has dominated the MAINSTREAM rap scene for the last five years--and being that he is born and raised in NOLA, he has done a HELL of a job putting that city on the map. While rappers like T.I. and Gucci Mane have obviously done a great job of this in Atlanta, it simply cannot be compared to what lil wayne has done for NOLA.
Boy Stop! Wayne held down N.O., nobody else, unfortunately. He did NOT put NOLA on the map, that honor belongs to the Hot Boys and Soulja(Magnolia) Slim.

Atlanta on the other hand has a roster of rappers and more are coming...

Back on topic, ATL and NOLA seem popular only because of notoriety, good and bad so I would go with them with the most recognized and being first. HOU is a shoe in for 2nd Philly follows, then D.C. and then NYC

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM

18,426 posts, read 26,528,464 times
Quote:
When I think of cities where African American culture is most predominate, this is what comes to mind:

1) NOLA
2) ATL
3) HOUSTON
4) DET
5) NYC

in that order.
DC must be in the top 5. It has to be. In fact I would remove Houston and NYC from that list. That's not to say that those two do not have a dominate AA culture. But the percentage presence and the size and clout that exists in DC has to be up there. I would say if you have as much positive things to say about NOLA for this topic. Memphis could be in this list as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,726,959 times
Quote:
lil wayne alone has dominated the MAINSTREAM rap scene for the last five years--and being that he is born and raised in NOLA, he has done a HELL of a job putting that city on the map. While rappers like T.I. and Gucci Mane have obviously done a great job of this in Atlanta, it simply cannot be compared to what lil wayne has done for NOLA.
You think so?

Lil Wayne has done great things no one can dispute that but do you really think his accomplishments outpace that of Gucci, Soljah Boy, TI, Andre 3000, Jeezy and many many more? He's only one person you know. That's like saying Usher's lone accomplishments have single handedly propelled Atlanta to the forefront of the R&B sector because of his success in recent years. Not quite.

As for my answer to the OP's question, I can show you better than I can tell you....

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 10-12-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM

531 posts, read 963,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Boy Stop! Wayne held down N.O., nobody else, unfortunately. He did NOT put NOLA on the map, that honor belongs to the Hot Boys and Soulja(Magnolia) Slim.

Atlanta on the other hand has a roster of rappers and more are coming...

Back on topic, ATL and NOLA seem popular only because of notoriety, good and bad so I would go with them with the most recognized and being first. HOU is a shoe in for 2nd Philly follows, then D.C. and then NYC

RIP soulja slim.

all i'm saying is what lil wayne has done for NOLA is kind of like what eminem did for detroit. Atlanta's scene has consistently produced rappers that have been at the top of the charts for the last 5ish years--I would not deny that. But none of them single-handedly put their city on (or back on i should say) the map the way eminem or lil wayne did.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:25 PM

18,426 posts, read 26,528,464 times
Quote:
RIP soulja slim.

all i'm saying is what lil wayne has done for NOLA is kind of like what eminem did for detroit. Atlanta's scene has consistently produced rappers that have been at the top of the charts for the last 5ish years--I would not deny that. But none of them single-handedly put their city on (or back on i should say) the map the way eminem or lil wayne did.
Lil Wayne didn't put New Orleans on the map. It was already on the map due to Master P and Atlanta has been on the map longer than 5 years. Try 17 years when Outkast came on the scene.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
RIP soulja slim.

Uh...were you not around in the mid 90s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRKNEnUsxg

Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 PM

atlafacian-- quite frankly, yes. i would say usher has LARGELY put ATL at the forefront of the r&b scene.

when somebody from a certain city is dominating the market the way these people have, it causes the rest of the people in the city to gain a sense of pride--which ultimately leads to the strong sense of culture I was talking about. and in my opinion, NOLA has the strongest/most well known African American culture; and like i said, I'd make ATL a really close second.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
atlafacian-- quite frankly, yes. i would say usher has LARGELY put ATL at the forefront of the r&b scene.

when somebody from a certain city is dominating the market the way these people have, it causes the rest of the people in the city to gain a sense of pride--which ultimately leads to the strong sense of culture I was talking about. and in my opinion, NOLA has the strongest/most well known African American culture; and like i said, I'd make ATL a really close second.
Well I guess you are entitled to your opinion...even if it's not based on reality.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Uh...were you not around in the mid 90s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRKNEnUsxg

yo, stop it. it's NOT the 90's. and if it were, LA or NYC would be winning this poll!!! lmao outkast...no disrespect to outkast, but if you wanna talk 90's i think they'd be a liiiiittttlle overshadowed by those two guys..what are their names?..oh, yeah: tupac and notorious BIG. not to mention dre, snoop eazy e, wu tang, mobb deep,etc etc etc etc etc...yeah..if you want to take it to the 90's, Atlanta pretty much drops out of contention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City