U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.31%
Phil 17 1.77%
DC 94 9.79%
Atlanta 560 58.33%
Memphis 10 1.04%
New ORleans 24 2.50%
Houston 17 1.77%
Seattle 11 1.15%
Chicago 26 2.71%
Detroit 66 6.88%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.04%
There is none. 74 7.71%
Voters: 960. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 PM

442 posts, read 695,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The stats aren't too dissimilar, but the difference is that DC actually has ethnic urban neighborhoods within the city (e.g., Chinatown, Little Ethiopia). There's a meshing together of different nationalities in DC that's more palpable than in Atlanta, which isn't too surprising since it's more of a traditionally urban city and the nation's capital.

You need to drive along Buford highway to northcross if need them separated. I don't know how seprated niegborhoods is seen as diverse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 06:37 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,122,151 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the popular perception of that history is overwhelmingly negative. I think that, in part, has held Birmingham back even to this day.
No corruption has held back B-ham if there was one thing above all.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:46 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,142,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
You need to drive along Buford highway to northcross if need them separated. I don't know how seprated niegborhoods is seen as diverse.
I have a good friend who used to live along Buford Hwy, so I'm well aware of the Asian diversity in particular that exists there. But again, that's not in the city and those aren't traditionally urban neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No corruption has held back B-ham if there was one thing above all.
You do have a point.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 PM

389 posts, read 627,131 times
I voted for Atlanta, which is the most logical in my oppinion since I've been there a lot, but I've also been to Memphis. Looks like that choice wasn't bery popular, but when I was down there last I thought it was a very good example of a Black capital. I don't know how else to put that. Also Detroit has to get something. But overall I think Atlanta is the Black capital in my oppinion. Sure DC is a good choice too, but it's more culturally mixed than anything else. I think it's like NyC. It's all mixed, even if it may be black dominant. God I ain't good with words. lol

Jessie

Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM

442 posts, read 695,077 times
Quote:
I have a good friend who used to live along Buford Hwy, so I'm well aware of the Asian diversity in particular that exists there. But again, that's not in the city and those aren't traditionally urban neighborhoods.

Oh, you're one of those "has to be in the city limits and urban or it doesn't count CD people. Nevermind then.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:32 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,142,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8t View Post
Oh, you're one of those "has to be in the city limits and urban or it doesn't count CD people. Nevermind then.
I didn't say "it doesn't count"; I said there's a difference in terms of how that diversity is integrated within and throughout the city and its urban fabric which is why the diversity of Atlanta and DC manifests itself in distinct ways. That was my point. Similar stats, different ways in which they are expressed.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 3,966,196 times
Bigger question, why is Seattle even in this poll and who is the one person that voted for it.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 AM

7,877 posts, read 12,004,337 times
Quote:
The stats aren't too dissimilar, but the difference is that DC actually has ethnic urban neighborhoods within the city (e.g., Chinatown, Little Ethiopia). There's a meshing together of different nationalities in DC that's more palpable than in Atlanta, which isn't too surprising since it's more of a traditionally urban city and the nation's capital.
Chinatowns or Little {ethnic group here} enclaves aren't diversity, but echos of the segregated past. I for one am glad Atlanta doesn't have those types of places. If it makes us seem less cosmopolitan, so be it. We already have enough scars to deal with in that regard.

Point blank though, Chinatown or not, Atlanta is every bit as diverse than DC whether it's the city proper or metro as a whole.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 AM

7,877 posts, read 12,004,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Bigger question, why is Seattle even in this poll and who is the one person that voted for it.
It was probably this guy...

Sir Mix-a-Lot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Anthony Ray (born August 12, 1963), better known by his stage name Sir Mix-a-Lot, is an emcee and producer based in Seattle, Washington. The founder of the Nastymix record label, he debuted in 1988 with Swass. In 1992, he debuted on a major label with his album Mack Daddy, whose single "Baby Got Back" reached the top of the American singles chart and won a Grammy Award.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,874,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
another question, why is Memphis tied with Seattle for last place? I'm not saying it should be Memphis, I voted for Atlanta, but the fact that it's tied with Seattle is crazy to me. Memphis is 63% Black, Seattle is 8% Black. They're far from comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City