U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.37%
Phil 17 1.79%
DC 93 9.79%
Atlanta 554 58.32%
Memphis 10 1.05%
New ORleans 24 2.53%
Houston 16 1.68%
Seattle 10 1.05%
Chicago 26 2.74%
Detroit 66 6.95%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.05%
There is none. 73 7.68%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:00 PM

5,326 posts, read 12,798,710 times

Advertisements

D.c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,019,005 times
Are people seriously arguing that rap music is the basis of what the "Capital of Black America" is? Is Black culture really reduced to that now? C'mon, seriously? As far as mainstream media and perception goes, Atlanta is the capital IMO. Realistically, there probably isn't one since Black people across the country may have similar origins, but not necessarily the same culture and I seriously doubt they all look to one place for influence.... sigh..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 PM

7,859 posts, read 11,969,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Are people seriously arguing that rap music is the basis of what the "Capital of Black America" is? Is Black culture really reduced to that now? C'mon, seriously? As far as mainstream media and perception goes, Atlanta is the capital IMO. Realistically, there probably isn't one since Black people across the country may have similar origins, but not necessarily the same culture and I seriously doubt they all look to one place for influence.... sigh..
I agree. I actually feel kind of sick for being lured into that mess.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM

531 posts, read 963,448 times
in terms of population, the 'capital' (whatever the hell that's even supposed to mean) the top 3, in order, would be:

1)Gary
2)Detroit
3)Birmingham

List of U.S. cities with large African American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

however, now that i'm thinking about it, I dont even understand what this poll is asking? what the hell makes a city the 'black capital'????

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,710,052 times
NYC for me!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,631,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
in terms of population, the 'capital' (whatever the hell that's even supposed to mean) the top 3, in order, would be:

1)Gary
2)Detroit
3)Birmingham

List of U.S. cities with large African American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

however, now that i'm thinking about it, I dont even understand what this poll is asking? what the hell makes a city the 'black capital'????

Gary is more like the death sentence for black folks.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,726,959 times
585-Your disdain for Atlanta (posters) is unfortunate.

On a side note, although I don't agree with your top 3 based solely on raw percentages, the metro AA percentage comparison from that same link lends credence (and confirmation) to a statement that I made a while back in another thread. I do appreciate that!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,761,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
RIP soulja slim.

all i'm saying is what lil wayne has done for NOLA is kind of like what eminem did for detroit. Atlanta's scene has consistently produced rappers that have been at the top of the charts for the last 5ish years--I would not deny that. But none of them single-handedly put their city on (or back on i should say) the map the way eminem or lil wayne did.
lets get one thing straight, Em didn't do **** for Detroit. He's not from here and gets no respect in the city. Ask around smh

Secondly since when was hip hop/rap the ONLY thing that make up AA culture? even when it comes to music hip hop/rap is the furthest from the ONLY thing we have um pop? techno? house? jazz? blues? rock and roll? r&b?

third if you think wayne being popular makes NO the mecca for blacks and would put it over ATL smh thats ridiculous. ATL has put out way more artisits than NO has. Plus Wayne did not put NO on the map. That goes to Master P and No Limit who were before Cash Money. And if anything when it comes to Cash Money I would consider B.G and Juvie over Wayne since they were really the ones who put CM on.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 PM

531 posts, read 963,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
lets get one thing straight, Em didn't do **** for Detroit. He's not from here and gets no respect in the city. Ask around smh

Secondly since when was hip hop/rap the ONLY thing that make up AA culture? even when it comes to music hip hop/rap is the furthest from the ONLY thing we have um pop? techno? house? jazz? blues? rock and roll? r&b?

third if you think wayne being popular makes NO the mecca for blacks and would put it over ATL smh thats ridiculous. ATL has put out way more artisits than NO has. Plus Wayne did not put NO on the map. That goes to Master P and No Limit who were before Cash Money. And if anything when it comes to Cash Money I would consider B.G and Juvie over Wayne since they were really the ones who put CM on.
Don't you get dizzy from shaking your head so much? smh. No **** rap/hiphop isn't the only thing that makes up AA culture, I was simply mentioning the rap scene in various cities because I haven't spent enough--or any--time in most of the cities on the list to get a feel for the culture there. smh. I am, however, familiar with the prominent rap/hiphop artists in the various cities, so that's why it was the one thing I mentioned! smh. If you'd read the posts you would have been able to figure this out. smh.

And of course master p, soulja slim, baby, juvi, etc etc came before wayne, and therefore put NOLA on the map FIRST. My point is that lil wayne put NOLA on the map on a much more wide-ranging scale. People all over the entire world, from all walks of life, listen to lil wayne, and in doing so get SOME insight into the culture in NOLA--that's all I'm saying. smh. smh.

And I don't care if people in Detroit respect eminem, the fact remains that 9.9/10 people IMMEDIATELY associated eminem with the city of detroit. So deal with it. smh smh smh

smh
smh
smh

smh

...see how annoying that is? smh.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-13-2010 at 12:08 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,308,546 times
Seattle is on list because of Jimi Hendricks. And paul Allen's Jimi Hendricks experience music museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City