Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Hold up bruh, I went to an HBCU. Don't put that kid up as a role model for an education at one of those institutions. Ok, maybe if it is Edward Waters. LOL
You know what, I really shouldn't because all of them aren't on the same level. My sister goes to an HBCU and she certainly doesn't act like this. But I'll say that most of the younger Black cats who went to college who divide Black people up in such superficial categories usually went to HBCUs, but they tended to be the HBCUs towards the bottom of the food chain, so to speak--like the one my uncle attended (which shall remain nameless...I'll just say it's a private institution in NC) and advised me not to go to, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 01:07 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
First off, why are you questioning my "blackness"...especially when I didn't question yours?

Given you probably won't move on from this, here's what you want to know.

1. I am half black and half asian. While my parents were educated, we had a big family so we didn't have a lot of cash...
2. I grew up mainly in Southwest Atlanta and East Point and spent most summers in Jamaica, Queens NYC. and...
3. I attended Morehouse. And at the same time...
4. I was a 5% for a good minute. Which means...
5. I'm as about black as you can get.

What the?

How in the world is that metric for anything? People dress differently in different cities. Are you suggesting one style of dress is "blacker" than another?

Are you unaware that people have different accents in different cities. Do you think that a cat from DC, Philly, and NY all have the same kind of accent? You've got some travelling to do kid. SMH

Ok, I'm seeing a pattern form here. It seems like you think that people living in certain cities all do the exact same things. It's as if your whole knowledge of black america is based off of videos on 106 and Park. Again, smdh.

This is starting to get a little tiring so I wont even bother...

Are you kidding me??????? The mid atlantic barely has anything in common with NYC and Boston. We definitely don't have much in common with the south.

I could pick this apart, but I won't because it is just sad. Real sad.

It's obvious from your whole post you haven't lived life much and definitely view Black culture from a hierarchal "best to worst" scale, looking down on those you feel are inferior. Let me clue you in on something:

What makes Black culture so unique in this country is that despite our regional differences, we all share a common cultural bond. You are disrespecting your people by looking at our culture in the negative way and are just contributing to the "crab mentality".

DC cats are always going on and on about who's "Bama", but act like no one knows what they like. All this music, clothes, cars and hood nonsense is about as "Bama" as it gets.
This conversation was about where the black capital is. I said ATL is the capital of the black south and D.C. is the capital of the black north. Then I said the north is very different from the south. People in D.C. have more in common with NYC than ATL and you know this. We are all very different but the south might as well be a different country. Nobody has mentioned anything that these regions all have in common other than our skin being black and having the same ancestry.

White people in the north are very different from white people in the south from a cultural perspective. In the country of India, people in the northern part of the country are very different from the people in the southern part. There families even force the kids into different professions depending on their region. Just because people are different doesn't mean one is better than the other. Culture is good and who wants to be the same anyway.

What would you consider culture by the way?

Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

U.S. New and World Report Best College's

University of Alabama
National Rank = 79 Tier 1

Howard University
National Rank = 104 Tier 1

Winthrop
National Rank = Not Ranked Tier 3

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ities-rankings

I figured when you made your ignorant comment about HBCU's you went to a horrible school. LOL...couldn't get in a better school huh? You should have went to Howard in D.C. which is the only ranked HBCU in the country.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
U.S. New and World Report Best College's

University of Alabama
National Rank = 79 Tier 1

Howard University
National Rank = 104 Tier 1

Winthrop
National Rank = Not Ranked Tier 3

National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News

I figured when you made your ignorant comment about HBCU's you went to a horrible school. LOL...couldn't get in a better school huh You should have went to Howard in D.C.
Logic escapes you. Just because I went to a lower-tiered, regional school that means that I didn't get accepted to any better ones? LMAO! I could hit you back with a personal attack about attending school as an athlete, but I won't even go that route. Suffice to say that I'm pretty sure my SAT score was higher than yours.

And for the record, I got accepted to several other schools that are more highly regarded (like Emory, which was my first choice but didn't pan out), but in the end I went with the one that had lower tuition and a better financial aid package, if you must know.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Nobody has mentioned anything that these regions all have in common other than our skin being black and having the same ancestry.
I really can't believe I'm reading this. You really aren't doing your state any favors by making comments like this. I suppose I truly do need to spell it out for you:

1) Most Blacks in the North can trace their roots to the South.
2) Cuisine is similar. You'll find soul food joints in Black neighborhoods in the North and South.
3) Religion is pretty much the same. While you'll find a few more Black Catholics in the North, for the most part you'll find us in traditional Black denominations (COGIC, AME, NBCUSA, PAW, UHOP, etc.).
4) Blacks in both the North and South tend to vote Democrat.
5) Musical genre preferences in general are the same despite region (R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop, etc.)
6) College-educated Blacks in both the North and South are part of the same BGLO's and other civic organizations (i.e., Urban League)
7) Current civil rights leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, no matter what you think of them, have pretty much the same pull and influence among Blacks in both regions
8) Despite the fact that hockey is more popular in the North in general and NASCAR is more popular in the South in general, you see very few Blacks in these sports. Whether Northern or Southern, we still stick predominantly to the NFL and NBA (and to a lesser extent, MLB).

I could go on and on, but trying to make it seem as though Blacks in the North and the South have these huge cultural differences is pretty asinine. You're the only one espousing this garbage in this thread; that should tell you something.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I really can't believe I'm reading this. You really aren't doing your state any favors by making comments like this. I suppose I truly do need to spell it out for you:

1) Most Blacks in the North can trace their roots to the South.
2) Cuisine is similar. You'll find soul food joints in Black neighborhoods in the North and South.
3) Religion is pretty much the same. While you'll find a few more Black Catholics in the North, for the most part you'll find us in traditional Black denominations (COGIC, AME, NBCUSA, PAW, UHOP, etc.).
4) Blacks in both the North and South tend to vote Democrat.
5) Musical genre preferences in general are the same despite region (R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop, etc.)
6) College-educated Blacks in both the North and South are part of the same BGLO's and other civic organizations (i.e., Urban League)
7) Current civil rights leaders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, no matter what you think of them, have pretty much the same pull and influence among Blacks in both regions
8) Despite the fact that hockey is more popular in the North in general and NASCAR is more popular in the South in general, you see very few Blacks in these sports. Whether Northern or Southern, we still stick predominantly to the NFL and NBA (and to a lesser extent, MLB).

I could go on and on, but trying to make it seem as though Blacks in the North and the South have these huge cultural differences is pretty asinine. You're the only one espousing this garbage in this thread; that should tell you something.
You just listed everything that makes us African American's. Now list some things that make New Orleans different from Atlanta. What makes Houston different from Charlotte. Chicago different from L.A. It's amazing on a site like city-data where we constantly talk about our differences all of a sudden we are all the same and have no cultural differences all over the country. They might as well shut this site down now. We are all just one big city I guess.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
You just listed everything that makes us African American's. Now list some things that make New Orleans different from Atlanta. What makes Houston different from Charlotte. Chicago different from L.A. It's amazing on a site like city-data where we constantly talk about our differences all of a sudden we are all the same and have no cultural differences all over the country. They might as well shut this site down now. We are all just one big city I guess.
It seems like you are not capable of critical thinking. I don't really think there's anything I can do for you.

In the end, the point is that your are over-magnifying some of the regional differences that exist among African Americans very unnecessarily.

Again, let me take you back to your original statement:

"I went to school in the south and black people up north and black people in the south don't have much in common. Different worlds!"

That statement, sir, is an epic FAIL.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
It seems like you are not capable of critical thinking. I don't really think there's anything I can do for you.

In the end, the point is that your are over-magnifying some of the regional differences that exist among African Americans very unnecessarily.

Again, let me take you back to your original statement:

"I went to school in the south and black people up north and black people in the south don't have much in common. Different worlds!"

That statement, sir, is an epic FAIL.

You make it seem like that is an insult. You probably did take it that way since the northern and southern posters like to fight so much on here. Well it wasn't an insult. I loved going to school in the south. Actually, it was just a cultural shock really. Things are different, doesn't mean one is better than the other. Just because we have differences doesn't mean we are somehow dividing the race which is where you are going with this.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
You make it seem like that is an insult. You probably did take it that way since the northern and southern posters like to fight so much on here. Well it wasn't an insult. I loved going to school in the south. Actually, it was just a cultural shock really. Things are different, doesn't mean one is better than the other.
I can understand the "cultural shock" part coming from the DC area to Tuscaloosa, AL. And if you never interacted with Southern Blacks before, particularly rural Southern Blacks before, of course you'll be exposed to some things you might otherwise would have been exposed to. But at the same time, our cultural solidarity overrides many of the differences. I'm originally from rural SC and have met other African Americans who are apart of my same denomination, pledged my same fraternity, are part of the same social organizations, campaigned for local Democratic candidates, love fried chicken and collard greens, have the same hairstyle (locs), and like the same R&B/hip hop/Gospel/jazz artists, etc. Maybe you just need to get some more experiences within the Black community under your belt.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:06 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
wait a minute isn't the DC area sometimes considered southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City