U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.31%
Phil 17 1.77%
DC 94 9.79%
Atlanta 560 58.33%
Memphis 10 1.04%
New ORleans 24 2.50%
Houston 17 1.77%
Seattle 11 1.15%
Chicago 26 2.71%
Detroit 66 6.88%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.04%
There is none. 74 7.71%
Voters: 960. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 AM

1,900 posts, read 3,965,351 times

Advertisements

MDAllstar,

Could you please give a detailed and specific list of all these major differences between us southern blacks and you northern blacks.

I personally think it comes down to individuals, regardless of region. I'm from Macon, GA and I have more in common with some of my cousins in Rochester, NY and Detroit than I do with several other cousins in random South Georgia towns.

There are different accents present even within the same region, so that cant really be a north/south divider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM

9,765 posts, read 11,224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
LMAO, say WHAT??? Where you see that at??? You gotta stop pulling stuff like this from out of your ass man. Explicitly, here is what this particular forum is about, straight from the horse's mouth:

City vs. City or "place vs. place" discussions where the discussion is comparing one place to another, or comparing specific things/amenities/attractions cities have compared to others, etc.

Where do you see where it says that we can only talk about differences and not similarities? Man, I just wish you would admit that you misspoke or should have chosen your words more carefully and move on. You just keep digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole.

You are obviously confusing me with someone else. I never responded to that post of yours (found here). I jumped in when you said:

"I went to school in the south and black people up north and black people in the south don't have much in common. Different worlds!"

That is where I contend you were awfully mistaken, and many others co-signed.

I'm sorry...was this thread about similarities? I must have misread the thread title. I also must be seeing things....I could have sworn we were voting for which city BY THEMSELVES IS THE CAPITAL FOR BLACK PEOPLE. The person who started this thread should have worded the title different. They should have said....What cities join to make the consortium of black capitals in America. By the way, why are there so many choices of Different cities on the poll? We are all the same. There is no black capital. We shouldn't separate ourselves. We are one nation and community. I'm glad you agree there is no black capital and we are all one nation. Remember, don't divide the race by alienating other cities around the nation insinuating you are better than them because you have more black owned businesses or wealthy population. Don't make anymore useless threads dividing the race.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-08-2011 at 03:04 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 AM

1,900 posts, read 3,965,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ummm....are you from Atlanta and are you black? If you are black, where did you grow up? How much money did your family make? That will probably explain alot.

Look at fashion for black people in Atlanta and other southern cities. Then look at fashion for D.C. and other northern cities.

Look at accents for black people in ATL and other southern cities. Look at accents in the north.

Look at cars in the south in the black community. Look at cars in the north in the black community.

Look at rappers and music from the south and other southern cities. Look at rappers and music from the north and other northern cities.
These people "in the hood" up in DC/Bmore and their cars/clothes looks so much different than anything you'd see in the hoods of ATL, Memphis, etc. ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaW2l0zahPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUh0H-5sx6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDQcP10SOD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYgj...eature=related

Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
MDAllstar,

Could you please give a detailed and specific list of all these major differences between us southern blacks and you northern blacks.
He did, in this post. Read it and laugh.

Quote:
I'm sorry...was this thread about similarities? I must have misread the thread title. I also must be seeing things....I could have sworn we were voting for which city BY THEMSELVES IS THE CAPITAL FOR BLACK PEOPLE. The person who started this thread should have worded the title different. They should have said....What cities join to make the consortium of black capitals in America.
No, you just need to learn the fundamental elements of dialogue and discussion. It's pretty much common sense that if we're talking about a capital for Black America that we will both contrast AND compare certain elements in certain cities. Rational people have done that all throughout this thread.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
He did, in this post. Read it and laugh.

No, you just need to learn the fundamental elements of dialogue and discussion. It's pretty much common sense that if we're talking about a capital for Black America that we will both contrast AND compare certain elements in certain cities. Rational people have done that all throughout this thread.
So what have YOU posted about differences. I said Atlanta was a black capital along with D.C. Wonder why? They have the most black owned businesses. They have the wealthiest black population. Both cities are filled with African American history relating to their cities and overall African American history in general. They have been black mecca's for decades. My post was related to the fact that I feel D.C. is the black capital of the north and Atlanta is the black capital of the south. I also was referring to the different life styles of living in a dense urban northeastern city vs. a suburban southern city.

Did you ever start to think why I said Atlanta and D.C. are the capitals for their regions? Why didn't I say D.C. and Miami? Why didn't I say NYC and Memphis? Our similarities should have been obvious since I said they both were black capitals. What makes something a black capital man? It should have been obvious. What is wrong with you? Let it go!

Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,140,797 times
Quote:
So what have YOU posted about differences.
I have 19 posts in this thread before you made the asinine comment about Northern and Southern Blacks having nothing in common.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I have 19 posts in this thread before you made the asinine comment about Northern and Southern Blacks having nothing in common.
Why don't you respond to the rest of the post instead of picking one question out of two paragraphs? O...maybe because you should have realized by default what we had in common if we were both the capitals for black people.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 AM

7,431 posts, read 5,878,236 times
Black people, no matter what city, are basically different versions of the same thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Black people, no matter what city, are basically different versions of the same thing.
This.

We have regional differences but we are all black at the end of the day. Now whether we prefer a southern city lifestyle vs. a northern city lifestyle is another topic.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,767,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
MDAllstar,

I personally think it comes down to individuals, regardless of region. I'm from Macon, GA and I have more in common with some of my cousins in Rochester, NY and Detroit than I do with several other cousins in random South Georgia towns.

There are different accents present even within the same region, so that cant really be a north/south divider.
the accents stuff is bs. I've been told by eastcoast ppl that Detroiters sound southern, kind of like ppl from GA but not as thick. My cousins and I tease my fam in Chicago all the time for sounding like "watered down Mississippi folk" lol (all in fun of course), ppl from MD, DC, VA etc sometimes have a "southern twang" to them as well. of course our accents differ but its not that much of a difference that you couldn't easily see that many blacks coming from GA to Detroit during the great migration still had some influence on why Detroiters sound the way we do now smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City