U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.20%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.79%
Atlanta 577 58.82%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.55%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.65%
Detroit 66 6.73%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.54%
Voters: 981. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM

9,833 posts, read 11,398,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, just stop with the whole "have you actually visited these cities?" mantra. I live in metro Atlanta and have visited DC countless times, so I'm not talking out of the side of my neck here. And please stop deflecting. I said nothing about the city proper because the vast majority of Blacks in both metros live in the suburbs. And once again, you're grossly exaggerating the differences between both cities.

"Black gentrification"? It's practically a trickle in both cities compared to White gentrification and you know that.

The income gap between whites and blacks living in the District is one of the widest in the country, new census statistics show. That stands in stark contrast to the Washington suburbs, where the gaps have become some of the nationís narrowest.

The per capita income for whites in the District is more than triple what it is for blacks, and the difference has only widened since 1990.

Income gap stays wide in District, narrows in suburbs - The Washington Post
So you think Atlanta city proper is urban by northeastern standards? Please show me what neighborhoods you are referring too. What does the fact that I said a black person that wants an urban lifestyle by northeastern standards in a black dominated city have to do with income level? We are talking about lifestyle options here. Everyone knows that the DMV and the Atlanta area are the two most popular cities for black people. Nobody is disputing that. The only point I made is the option to live an urban lifestyle by northeastern standards does not exist in Atlanta. The is all I ever said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM

1,169 posts, read 2,204,713 times
Atlanta, then DC

Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I just can't.
I know Atlanta well and it looks like the south. When I said Midtown looks rural, I was talking about how sparse development is which is common in most sunbelt cities. It's what I said when I was in Midtown all the time. It is what it is. Scattered skyscrapers everywhere completely lacking an urban footprint like major cities in the Northeast where a couple hundred meters from urban buildings would never give way to this:

Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown (Is that a billboard you would see on the highway in Alabama?)
atlanta ga - Google Maps

At the end of the day, Atlanta is just not built to be a dense city. The residents don't really desire for it to be a dense city either. The people I know in Atlanta think we live on top of each other in D.C. They think everything is very rushed up here in D.C. They like the way they live. They comment on how they need their car and like open space. They hate how inconvenient it is driving in D.C. You and many people on this forum from Atlanta are in the minority for liking dense urban living in a northeastern sense of the word. That is one of the reason's many people leave the cities up here. They want a cheaper, slower, lower density relaxed lifestyle. Are you trying to tell me that most of the people you encounter in Atlanta want it to be dense like the cities up here?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-01-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 2,255 times
Atlanta is considered the black capital but I dislike it I live here and can't wait to leave.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:49 AM

886 posts, read 1,330,242 times
I know D.C. well and it looks like Dixie to me. Call it northeast one more time and I may just vomit out of disgust

Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I know D.C. well and it looks like Dixie to me. Call it northeast one more time and I may just vomit out of disgust
Have you been to Atlanta? If D.C. is dixie, then Atlanta is the Grand Canyon.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM

886 posts, read 1,330,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Have you been to Atlanta? If D.C. is dixie, then Atlanta is the Grand Canyon.
Ya been to Atlanta, its in the deep south. To much for my tastes

Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Ya been to Atlanta, its in the deep south. To much for my tastes
If your looking for New York anywhere else other than New York, you are not going to find it. New York runs circles around every city in the U.S. When it comes to urban form, Philadelphia, Boston, D.C., Baltimore, Chicago, and San Francisco are the only cities that have a true urban streetwall feel. If you think D.C. is dixie, you must think 99.9% of the nation is dixie.

You have never been down south or outside of New York City really if you think this looks like Dixie:

washington d.c. - Google Maps

Maybe you should actually visit Dixie to see what it's really like if you think D.C. is what Dixie looks like.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,187,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know Atlanta well and it looks like the south. When I said Midtown looks rural, I was talking about how sparse development is which is common in most sunbelt cities. It's what I said when I was in Midtown all the time. It is what it is. Scattered skyscrapers everywhere completely lacking an urban footprint like major cities in the Northeast where a couple hundred meters from urban buildings would never give way to this:

Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown (Is that a billboard you would see on the highway in Alabama?)
atlanta ga - Google Maps

At the end of the day, Atlanta is just not built to be a dense city. The residents don't really desire for it to be a dense city either. The people I know in Atlanta think we live on top of each other in D.C. They think everything is very rushed up here in D.C. They like the way they live. They comment on how they need their car and like open space. They hate how inconvenient it is driving in D.C. You and many people on this forum from Atlanta are in the minority for liking dense urban living in a northeastern sense of the word. That is one of the reason's many people leave the cities up here. They want a cheaper, slower, lower density relaxed lifestyle. Are you trying to tell me that most of the people you encounter in Atlanta want it to be dense like the cities up here?
Ummmmmm, excuse me?! You can find those billboards anywhere, not just in ALABAMA.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Ummmmmm, excuse me?! You can find those billboards anywhere, not just in ALABAMA.
My point had nothing to do with the State of Alabama, I was basically asking why a highway billboard is in the middle of the city and in the most popular urban style neighborhood Atlanta has to offer to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City