U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.19%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.77%
Atlanta 579 58.90%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.54%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.64%
Detroit 66 6.71%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.53%
Voters: 983. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess it's true that you DO need to get out of Maryland more. I guess you can revoke Boston's urban card too: Large Billboard In The City. Outdoor Advertising With Urban Background Stock Photo 39916120 : Shutterstock
Umm..yes that is country having a billboard anywhere in the urban core whether it's Boston or Atlanta. If you're going to have a billboard for advertising, it should be done like New York and D.C. do them which entails putting them on video screens downtown. If it's not going to be electronic, it needs to be on the side of a building.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-01-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I'm still waiting for a verifiable source for this retarded statement.
I'm talking about the income level dropping in Atlanta which signals a surge in unqualified workers. Many people moving to Atlanta are looking for service jobs which is why many people on your own forum on city-data.com talk about the income level dropping from low qualified new residents fueling the growth in the region. As for the people moving to Atlanta, the census data will tell you most people that move to Atlanta actually come from surrounding states. I have read threads on the Atlanta forum where this topic was discussed and you have also participated in them so don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 PM
 
229 posts, read 451,856 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you think Atlanta city proper is urban by northeastern standards? Please show me what neighborhoods you are referring too. What does the fact that I said a black person that wants an urban lifestyle by northeastern standards in a black dominated city have to do with income level? We are talking about lifestyle options here. Everyone knows that the DMV and the Atlanta area are the two most popular cities for black people. Nobody is disputing that. The only point I made is the option to live an urban lifestyle by northeastern standards does not exist in Atlanta. The is all I ever said.
Bu who really cares? Except some diehard urbanophiles on C-D? I am from the very heart of the mighty Northeast and would never move back. DC is nice. Atlanta is nice. They are two different cities with two different personalities. But I personally prefer the Southeast, as does MOST of my friends and family who either have already left the area or wish they could get out. However, I would move to DC way before going back the the "true" NE, which is in the upper NE regions, but still I prefer Atlanta and it's lifestyle option and cost of living over DC. There is enough "NE standard" of urban living in ATL if I ever wanted that also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
 
229 posts, read 451,856 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I know Atlanta well and it looks like the south. When I said Midtown looks rural, I was talking about how sparse development is which is common in most sunbelt cities. It's what I said when I was in Midtown all the time. It is what it is. Scattered skyscrapers everywhere completely lacking an urban footprint like major cities in the Northeast where a couple hundred meters from urban buildings would never give way to this:


Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown
atlanta ga - Google Maps

Midtown (Is that a billboard you would see on the highway in Alabama?)
atlanta ga - Google Maps

At the end of the day, Atlanta is just not built to be a dense city. The residents don't really desire for it to be a dense city either. The people I know in Atlanta think we live on top of each other in D.C. They think everything is very rushed up here in D.C. They like the way they live. They comment on how they need their car and like open space. They hate how inconvenient it is driving in D.C. You and many people on this forum from Atlanta are in the minority for liking dense urban living in a northeastern sense of the word. That is one of the reason's many people leave the cities up here. They want a cheaper, slower, lower density relaxed lifestyle. Are you trying to tell me that most of the people you encounter in Atlanta want it to be dense like the cities up here?
Wow! What a strange statement to make. Ther is absolutely nothing rural about Midtown Atlanta. That's like saying that inner city DC is rural by Manhattan standards, would'nt you say? Because it is. Therefore, by NYC standards, DC is comparatively "country".

Midtown has not the same urbanity of DC (so what, and black people don't care), but it is relatively urban. Urban enough for the many who flock there. Who would want DC's "urban environment and have to pay through the nose for what you get there? Why not then move to a real city if one wants the true a urban experience? Like Chicago or NY? Or Paris, London?

And BTW, by sunbelt standards, only Miami is more "urban" then Atlanta. And
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM
 
229 posts, read 451,856 times
Reputation: 173
I agree with some of you who don't care which metro is the "best for Blacks". The best metros for Blacks are areas where the people are working together to eradicate the ills which affect it's neglected and struggling community members. Most of these so-called "Black Meccas", attract people who care nothing for the those on the fringes of society. They come to make money and seek prestige. Others, like some of these posters, boast in nonsensical things that are irrelevant to community progress. Like how urban my city is, etc. The real "Black Mecca" will be where everyone respects each other and lives not only for themeselves but for the betterment of their community and for the general population at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:47 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Wow! What a strange statement to make. Ther is absolutely nothing rural about Midtown Atlanta. That's like saying that inner city DC is rural by Manhattan standards, would'nt you say? Because it is. Therefore, by NYC standards, DC is comparatively "country".

Midtown has not the same urbanity of DC (so what, and black people don't care), but it is relatively urban. Urban enough for the many who flock there. Who would want DC's "urban environment and have to pay through the nose for what you get there? Why not then move to a real city if one wants the true a urban experience? Like Chicago or NY? Or Paris, London?

And BTW, by sunbelt standards, only Miami is more "urban" then Atlanta. And
Actually yes, DC and everywhere else in the nation is country compared to Manhattan. Also, you are narrowing in on the combinations I have been talking about. To get an urban experience where black professionals are in high abundance and black people are in power, NYC is not an option. D.C. however gives you the black professionals, highly educated black population, and the option for urban living if you choose to take advantage of it. Atlanta doesn't offer that complete package which is the point I have been making. New York doesn't offer that whole package either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Bu who really cares? Except some diehard urbanophiles on C-D? I am from the very heart of the mighty Northeast and would never move back. DC is nice. Atlanta is nice. They are two different cities with two different personalities. But I personally prefer the Southeast, as does MOST of my friends and family who either have already left the area or wish they could get out. However, I would move to DC way before going back the the "true" NE, which is in the upper NE regions, but still I prefer Atlanta and it's lifestyle option and cost of living over DC. There is enough "NE standard" of urban living in ATL if I ever wanted that also.
I actually know many people who think Atlanta is country. You probably like that lifestyle so to each his own. D.C. is the Mid-atlantic really. I should probably start differentiating it because if you know DC, we don't identify with any of you north or south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
 
229 posts, read 451,856 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I actually know many people who think Atlanta is country. You probably like that lifestyle so to each his own. D.C. is the Mid-atlantic really. I should probably start differentiating it because if you know DC, we don't identify with any of you north or south.
Deep Alabama and Mississippi is country. Atlanta is not country. Again, by your own standards DC, compared to NYC is country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM
 
3,284 posts, read 5,430,440 times
Reputation: 1064
It's pretty obvious that Atlanta is the Capital of Black America; it's been a successful area for decades for African-Americans ranging from movie directors to entrepreneur's to civil right leaders to musicians. But it's weird anytime in Atlanta I don't see as many African-Americans as I suspect it to be but I always see plenty native Africans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM
 
9,838 posts, read 11,426,863 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Deep Alabama and Mississippi is country. Atlanta is not country. Again, by your own standards DC, compared to NYC is country.
D.C. is country compared to Manhattan. Have you been to Manhattan? Every city in the nation is country compared to Manhattan. Some cities are just more urban simple as that. New York is way more urban than D.C. and D.C. is way more urban than Atlanta. Problem with New York is black people don't run that city. So I may get very urban in NYC, but I won't get the black scene I get in D.C. I may get the black professional scene in Atlanta, but I can't get an urban environment. D.C. offers both. That is the only point I have been making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top