Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM

229 posts, read 520,782 times

Advertisements

^^^

Muntiny, after the last few posts, I am through debating with this guy. He sees things in a very skewed manner. All reason and logic has been cast aside to prove the superiority of DC in every caterogory. While I would not like to debate which city is the "capital of Black America" (cause I don't know), I think many cities might offers something for any African-Americans. And Atlanta is of course is considered one of the best. But still I think if there is going to be talk of such a thing as a "Black Mecca" then the lives of even the "least of these" should be positively affected by all this migration and concentration of wealth, education and talent. Is there even such a place like this that exists, which promotes and acheives this balance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 09:33 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And you would be wrong on that point.

The issue is that some of us are actually trying to stay on topic since the subject of the thread is about Black America as opposed to just one individual's preference. And then you've thrown out tons of misinformation in the thread as well.

So is DC "at the top of the heap" and "offers the biggest balance" or is it the ONLY city that offers both as you've been saying throughout this thread? Now you seem to be changing your tune.
You know what, I'm not going to waste my time with this retarded debate any longer. I will defend myself from your ignorant claim though. I said that Atlanta's personal income had dropped which it did, so that was not misinformation as you tried to claim.

Personal Income in the 2000s: Top and Bottom Ten Metropolitan Areas | Newgeography.com
http://www.clevelandfed.org/research...8/02regact.cfm

O...and there are countless threads about this on the Atlanta forum. Here is just one of them with your residents bickering about how the only job increases are really in the service sector like Target cashiers. These debates go on in your forum all the time. Do you ever venture over there?
Metro Atlanta No. 2 in Job Growth

Atlanta has definitely received a population boom, but economically, not so much. The wealth in Atlanta is fading and the city is not attracting the educated populace it once did anymore. It's not on par with D.C. for jobs, education, or income. Everyone is talking about it except you I guess.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-01-2012 at 09:59 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
^^^

Muntiny, after the last few posts, I am through debating with this guy. He sees things in a very skewed manner. All reason and logic has been cast aside to prove the superiority of DC in every caterogory.
I agree.

Quote:
While I would not like to debate which city is the "capital of Black America" (cause I don't know), I think many cities might offers something for any African-Americans. And Atlanta is of course is considered one of the best. But still I think if there is going to be talk of such a thing as a "Black Mecca" then the lives of even the "least of these" should be positively affected by all this migration and concentration of wealth, education and talent. Is there even such a place like this that exists, which promotes and acheives this balance?
I'm not even sure how you'd go about looking at that scientifically on a large-scale level specific for certain metros. Levels of charitable giving will naturally be higher in these cities.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
^^^

Muntiny, after the last few posts, I am through debating with this guy. He sees things in a very skewed manner. All reason and logic has been cast aside to prove the superiority of DC in every caterogory. While I would not like to debate which city is the "capital of Black America" (cause I don't know), I think many cities might offers something for any African-Americans. And Atlanta is of course is considered one of the best. But still I think if there is going to be talk of such a thing as a "Black Mecca" then the lives of even the "least of these" should be positively affected by all this migration and concentration of wealth, education and talent. Is there even such a place like this that exists, which promotes and acheives this balance?
It's amazing to me how ignorant you seem to be. I have stated nothing but things you also agree with and I have not disagreed with anything you have said.

This is what I have said:

-D.C. is more urban than Atlanta
-New York is more urban than DC
-Black people do chose to live in the suburbs more often than not
-An urban or suburban built environment is not the primary reason many people use when deciding on a home
-Black people moving to Atlanta and DC are doing so for reason's other than the built environment more often than not

Now.......

What exactly did I say that is not true?

What did I say you don't agree with?

What in the #@!! are you talking about saying I have been trying to make DC superior in everything?

***I didn't even answer the retarded question posed by this thread because there is no black capital to begin with. And if it was Atlanta, we need to find a new capital since Atlanta has been annihilated by the recession.***

Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You know what, I'm not going to waste my time with this retarded debate any longer. I will defend myself from your ignorant claim though. I said that Atlanta's personal income had dropped which it did, so that was not misinformation as you tried to claim.

Personal Income in the 2000s: Top and Bottom Ten Metropolitan Areas | Newgeography.com
Real Income Growth across Metropolitan Areas :: Tim Dunne and Kyle Fee :: Economic Trends :: 06.06.08 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

O...and there are countless threads about this on the Atlanta forum. Here is just one of them with your residents bickering about how the only job increases are really in the service sector like Target cashiers. These debates go on in your forum all the time. Do you ever venture over there?
Metro Atlanta No. 2 in Job Growth

Atlanta has definitely received a population boom, but economically, not so much. The wealth in Atlanta is fading and the city is not attracting the educated populace it once did anymore. It's not on par with D.C. for jobs, education, or income. Everyone is talking about it except you I guess.
That is THE only thing you stated that could be substantiated. However, the educated Black population in the metro has indeed increased. Has it increased more than it did in the past? Not too sure about that, but it has increased. At any rate, the city is in recovery mode from the greatest recession since the Great Depression and doesn't have a ton of government jobs to lean on to prop it up at the moment.

At any rate, all you keep doing is deflecting. This is a big example of that. All that foolishness about Atlanta not having any urban neighborhoods, how Midtown is "rural," and how most people moving to Atlanta are uneducated Southerners and the rest of that garbage is just plain OFF.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That is THE only thing you stated that could be substantiated. However, the educated Black population in the metro has indeed increased. Has it increased more than it did in the past? Not too sure about that, but it has increased. At any rate, the city is in recovery mode from the greatest recession since the Great Depression and doesn't have a ton of government jobs to lean on to prop it up at the moment.

At any rate, all you keep doing is deflecting. This is a big example of that. All that foolishness about Atlanta not having any urban neighborhoods, how Midtown is "rural," and how most people moving to Atlanta are uneducated Southerners and the rest of that garbage is just plain OFF.
I already clarified what I meant in relation to the population increases and their orgin. I also explained the drop in personal income and clarified that. You must not have read that post when I apologized for the confusion. Whatever, this is pointless and unimportant. Have a good day man.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:38 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default Boredatwork

lol... Wth yall talking bout. I'm from the DC area but MD making us sound all uppity but the 2 folks from Atlanta make yall seem like some cry babies if somebody disagrees with yall.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think I follow you. You love D.C., yet you prefer Maryland? You were born and raised here and have love for the city but in Boston you would live in Backbay but you prefer the suburbs in Maryland to D.C.? You love D.C. but you don't live in DC nor have you mentioned anything about D.C. proper itself that you do like. The only thing I have heard you say is what you don't like and what D.C. is lacking that your interested in like fashion etc.. Am I the only one who is confused by what he just said?
Because he is not really fom DC. People from DC do not consider themselves southerners. Mid Atlantic maybe but not southern.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
I know D.C. well and it looks like Dixie to me. Call it northeast one more time and I may just vomit out of disgust
Post of the year. "dc is dixie."

Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Opinions are crossing over into personal jabs.

Stop making it personal, folks. Play nice or the playground will close.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City