U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 51 5.20%
Phil 17 1.73%
DC 96 9.79%
Atlanta 577 58.82%
Memphis 11 1.12%
New ORleans 25 2.55%
Houston 17 1.73%
Seattle 11 1.12%
Chicago 26 2.65%
Detroit 66 6.73%
Other (include in your reply) 10 1.02%
There is none. 74 7.54%
Voters: 981. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:55 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,970,509 times

Advertisements

Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM

7,901 posts, read 12,133,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ummm...couple things

Urban means compact. That is the definition of urban so I don't know what you are talking about.
That is one feature of urban spaces, but not it's sole factor. That is your definition, and sadly what passes for truth on C-D.

Quote:
Also, we are talking about the built environment here, not the population density. The built environment density in DC compared to Atlanta is about the same as Manhattan to DC. The built environment in DC is pulling away from Atlanta at hyper speed right not also with an infill construction percentage that leads the nation. There is absolutely no comparison with DC proper housing and Atlanta. Also, the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor has a denser built environment than Midtown ATL and DC proper runs circles around Arlington in building density. This is really apples and oranges.
LMAO!

You really think that don't you. I'll save you the trouble of fighting back and forth (mostly because I'm not going to respond after this) and say no. Just step back for a second and stop looking at superficial things. Every city has different factors that make up the fabric to it's urban character.

And don't so stuck up on DC pulling away from Atlanta. There is a brick wall that DC will eventually hit and it's called height restrictions. 800,000 to 1 million is probably the most that could ever fit in DC if it ever happens. Stop being so competitive.

Quote:
Last but not least, I didn't make a comparison of NYC to DC, that was someone else. Because you didnt read this thread, you drew the conclusion that I said Newyork is to DC as DC is to Atlanta. Never happened!
I'm starting to wonder if you have ever been to NYC, if you have been to Atlanta, or both.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,018,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Listen up southerner, D.C. is in the south. Dont ever claim the northeast again. Try visiting Philly, NYC, Boston and experiencing the real northeast before you try to say you share cultures with us
D.C. is not the South. D.C. has more in common with Boston, NYC, and Philly, than Atlanta or Memphis.

Even down to the accent. You almost need a translator to understand native ATLiens. D.C. is considered the Mid-Atlantic. As someone who lived in Atlanta for 10 years, I have a good take on this subject. Nothing comes close to these two cities as far as density of blacks per capital. I will give the slight nod to D.C. due to it having more black wealth. Blacks in D.C. are more educated on the average. My wife was born and raised in NW D.C., and everyone in here family is highly educated. I'm talking Masters and PHD. I was almost embarrassed to tell them that I'm only an undergrad of Alabama State University.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM

4,951 posts, read 8,515,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That is one feature of urban spaces, but not it's sole factor. That is your definition, and sadly what passes for truth on C-D.

LMAO!

You really think that don't you. I'll save you the trouble of fighting back and forth (mostly because I'm not going to respond after this) and say no. Just step back for a second and stop looking at superficial things. Every city has different factors that make up the fabric to it's urban character.

And don't so stuck up on DC pulling away from Atlanta. There is a brick wall that DC will eventually hit and it's called height restrictions. 800,000 to 1 million is probably the most that could ever fit in DC if it ever happens. Stop being so competitive.

I'm starting to wonder if you have ever been to NYC, if you have been to Atlanta, or both.
DC had 800,000 people in 1950, so the city definitely can grow to more than a milli.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm really surprised the poll is so lopsided considering DC has so many institutions (or organizations headquartered there):

Howard University
Congressional Black Caucus Institute
National Association of Black Journalists
National Medical Association
National Bar Association
National Society of Black Engineers
Student National Medical Association
National Black Law Students Association
NAACP (DC/Baltimore)
Alpha Phi Alpha
The Links
One reason:

For every one but black folks, the first thing they think when you say "DC" is "the Federal government". For every one but black folks, the first thing they think when you say "Atlanta" is "black folks". We had better marketing.

With that said you have a valid point and if this were a poll of just black people it would probably be 50/50 between DC and Atlanta.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

28,187 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Largest concentration of HBCUs in the nation
Howard is larger than the AUC schools combined. Plus, Howard has a school of engineering, dentistry, architecture, business, medicine, pharmacy and law. It also has a hospital. CAU, the only "University" in the AUC, does not have any of those.

And while DC public schools are pretty terrible, there are at least a few bright spots in Benjamin Banneker, the School Without Walls and Duke Ellington (all 3 are majority-black magnet schools). If you decide to opt for the suburbs, I'd say that Blair, Blake, Springbrook, Eleanor Roosevelt, High Point and Bowie are majority-black (or plurality black) high schools you could feel reasonably comfortable sending your kids to.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC had 800,000 people in 1950, so the city definitely can grow to more than a milli.
Yes, I know, which is why I said that it will probably be the most DC could theoretically grow to. Why? Because DC had something else in 1950 that it doesn't now: lots of crowded tenements and other substandard housing in slums no one in the right mind would live in now.

With the height restrictions and the type of spaces people are willing to live in now, I don't see a situation where DC can get much higher than it's peak or 1 million residents. There would have to be a wholesale leveling of entire neighborhoods to accommodate anything higher than that with the restrictions, and that is extremely unlikely. Urban renewal is a four letter word outside very specific situations and thanks to the historic preservation movement, certain neighborhoods/structures are protected by law.

Another difference from that time is that lower income individuals are being priced out of DC. This is important because lower income households also happen to have a significantly higher amount of occupants than middle and upper income households. In order to reach the type of residential density in city like DC with not much land and height restrictions is to increase the amount of people who live in a dwelling. That's not going to happen with a city that's quickly becoming SWPL hipster capital USA.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM

28,187 posts, read 26,121,294 times
Quote:
Also, on your point about skipping DC and going to Chicago or NYC, black people are an underclass in those cities compared to Atlanta and DC so that is out.
Black people are an underclass in Atlanta and DC, too.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,495,870 times
Quote:
Black people are an underclass in Atlanta and DC, too.
We have a winner! NO place where their ethnic group is the underclass, where they're the constant target of discrimination, where all non-blacks scoff at them, and where local blacks hate on fellow blacks who want to make something out of their lives should dare call itself a "Mecca" for its kind. You want to be real: freaking Salt Lake City and Albuquerque deserve to be called "Meccas for blacks" more than ATL and DC. Been to both places, and I wasn't constantly stopped by the police, made ashamed of my skin color, mocked by lower-class blacks, and sneered down by whites, Latinos, and Asians in those cities.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 PM

29,737 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Alpha Phi Alpha
My fraternity is actually headquartered in Baltimore, although we did have our Centennial Convention in DC back in 2006. Our roots do run deep in the DC area though; we were the very first BGLO to have a presence on Howard's campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City