Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.97%
Atlanta 806 59.75%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.45%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.23%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.49%
Voters: 1349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,607,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And? This would also apply to D.C. Double standards now, eh?

Pure and total BS. I am looking out my office window at our oldest such block, built in the 1800's. See, this is the sort of crap that gets you called out. Baltimore Block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quit spouting off about things you simply know nothing of. And quit ASSuming what type of neighborhoods I do and don't have knowledge of. If you think I'm some whitebread fool afraid of different neighborhoods, guess again homer.
You have got to be kidding me!!! We are talking about real neighborhoods. Not a row of imitation row houses. Build about 1,000 of those across a couple blocks and then we can talk. Kentlands in Gaithersburg MD is more urban than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,300,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You have got to be kidding me!!! We are talking about real neighborhoods. Not a couple rows of imitation row houses. Built about 1,000 of those across a couple blocks and then we can talk. Kentlands in Gaithersburg MD is more urban than this.
As I said earlier, you are never wrong - ever. Even when presented with evidence that directly flies in the face of your comment that this simply didn't exist in Atlanta - like you knew (yet again) what you were talking about.

You stated this type of housing didn't exist here. Not only did I provide proof that it does, this block was built in 1886 by a delveloper from Baltimore, no less.

How absolutely pathetic.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,641,346 times
Quote:
Says you. The poll and the general population correctly think otherwise.
Says facts

What music came out of Atlanta that captivated the nation or the world? What famous black community resides in Atlanta? What major event took place in Atlanta other than the 1996 Olympics?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,607,490 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, you are never wrong - ever. Even when presented with evidence that directly flies in the face of your comment that this simply didn't exist in Atlanta - like you knew (yet again) what you were talking about.

You stated this type of housing didn't exist here. Not only did I provide proof that it does, this block was built in 1886 by a delveloper from Baltimore, no less.

How absolutely pathetic.
You know, we have been having this conversation for a very long time and you still seem to be confused in relation to what I'm talking about. I don't look at piecemeal development. I look at EVERYTHING at the neighborhood level. Do you have any idea how many places around the country have some tiny form of row homes? This is not about architecture. This is about neighborhoods. I know all about Baltimore block. It's a block! If I go to Wyoming and build 20 row houses in a random town, do they all of a sudden have row homes now making their city design urban? No! It doesn't work that way.

There are so many things wrong with Atlanta in relation to urban planning I don't even know where to start. Masters Programs around the entire nation study Atlanta as an example of what not to do. There are so many textbooks that use Atlanta as a poster child for sprawl and urban renewal gone wrong I don't even know what to tell you. You would be completely offended sitting in any class across the nation in the various City and Regional Planning masters programs. I'm being nice, believe me! Those in the business spit on Atlanta. I actually like Atlanta for everything else. I just don't like the way it was built. Crazy thing is, Atlanta was not always like this. The automobile absolutely hammered Atlanta. What a horrible time to grow up during. It's not Atlanta's fault really.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-05-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:27 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,914,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Says facts

What music came out of Atlanta that captivated the nation or the world? What famous black community resides in Atlanta? What major event took place in Atlanta other than the 1996 Olympics?
You really have the oddest screen name in all of C-D. /justsayin

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,300,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
You know, we have been having this conversation for a very long time and you still seem to be confused in relation to what I'm talking about. I don't look at piecemeal development. I look at EVERYTHING at the neighborhood level. Do you have any idea how many places around the country have some tiny form of row homes? This is not about architecture. This is about neighborhoods. I know all about Baltimore block. It's a block! If I go to Wyoming and build 20 row houses in a random town, do they all of a sudden have row homes now making their city design urban? No! It doesn't work that way.

There are so many things wrong with Atlanta in relation to urban planning I don't even know where to start. Masters Programs around the entire nation study Atlanta as an example of what not to do. There are so many textbooks that use Atlanta as a poster child for sprawl and urban renewal gone wrong I don't even know what to tell you. You would be completely offended sitting in any class across the nation in the various City and Regional Planning masters programs. I'm being nice, believe me! Those in the business spit on Atlanta. I actually like Atlanta for everything else. I just don't like the way it was built. Crazy thing is, Atlanta was not always like this. The automobile absolutely hammered Atlanta. What a horrible time to grow up during. It's not Atlanta's fault really.
I guess you think us bumpkins down here live in one of them thar bubbles........DUDE, we are slammed over the head with this crap endlessly here. Don't you think the local papers repeat this crap ad nauseum?

As I already said, you are absolutely pathetic. I actually feel sorry for you.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM

322 posts, read 612,374 times
I love the way Atlanta is built...but who am I? I don't have a degree in building cities or anything but I love the layout of the city. The skyline is awesome and although the streets and traffic patterns may be a little unusual but it's fun driving it. I-85 is so much fun driving through especially when the traffic is thick. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but Atlanta is one of my favorite cities in any category!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Let me start here because I think you're completely misunderstanding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's be precise here. He asked, "How can Atlanta be considered the black capital over DC" when DC, in his perception, trumps Atlanta on different metrics, including income and education. Nobody ever said that Atlanta is "considered the capital of Black America" over DC "when it comes to education." (except you). You responded by saying, "Largest concentration of HBCUs in the country."
The emboldened statement is incorrect. I simply stated why Atlanta is often considered to be the Black capital over DC within the education (and other) categories. I have never stated, here or elsewhere, that I believe Atlanta actually trumps DC in this category (or vice versa). You're obviously mistaking my explanation for my conviction.

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. In response to your statement, I simply pointed out that Howard produces more total graduates than all of the AUC schools combined and offers a whole host of disciplines that are completely absent in the Atlanta University Center (fact). You may not think that's as relevant as the "total number and type of schools" argument, but I think the total number of programs, the quality of those programs, and the number of degrees conferred is equally, if not more, relevant.
With your last statement, I do agree that the advantages that Howard has are at least more relevant. If someone were to ask why some people consider DC to be the Black capital, I'd definitely mention Howard and its historic central role in the academic life of Black America; there's a reason it's home to five of nine of the BLGO's.

Quote:
I have been talking about "education" all-inclusively in this thread. That means discussing everything from pre-school to graduate programs to the number of college-educated black people in each city (I assume most people are taking the same approach). If I'm a black parent (and I hope to be someday), then the quality of schools (primary, secondary, and undergraduate) is something I am going to consider when choosing a place to raise kids. And the fact that I can live in Alexandria and send my kids to UVA is much more appealing to me than living in Marietta and sending my kids to UGA. I wasn't talking so much about institutions that are physically present in the metro areas as I was about the benefits and opportunities available to blacks who live in the DC area as opposed to the Atlanta area.
Well you're definitely stretching the parameters a bit now. But I'd say things pretty much even out practically given the fact that the vast majority of Blacks in the DC area live either in the District or Maryland.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,261,299 times
Dc for me. Atlanta for black entertainment. Atlanta city limits do not even "feel" as black as Detroit anymore. Also, Dc should not be trailing like it is. people watch tv and assume Atlanta is all black, this is so inaccurate.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 7,187,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Dc for me. Atlanta for black entertainment. Atlanta city limits do not even "feel" as black as Detroit anymore. Also, Dc should not be trailing like it is. people watch tv and assume Atlanta is all black, this is so inaccurate.
So basically your saying that a black area looks like detroit. Thats very stereotypical, where do you live that you think this Cincinnati!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City