Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose on the aforementioned income?
New York City 43 58.11%
Washington, D.C. 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2023, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,737 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Which city / metro would you prefer, assuming two adults and no children: New York on $350,000 salary or Washington, D.C. on $275,000? For whatever it's worth, I'd need a home / apartment (small) yard . . . so that would seemingly rule out midtown Manhattan, but I'd need to commute there every day. It's my understanding that a lot of the row houses in D.C. have small backyards.

Happy to answer any questions that would be necessary to help with your answers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 02:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
If you aren't looking for multifamily living, I would probably lean DC area. Although the pay gap is big enough to make this close. You could live in DC proper for the salary. However, you likely couldn't live with a yard in prime area on that salary. Crime in DC is no joke, so you want to take that into account. In NY, you could find a nice commuter town in NNJ for the salary. The salary gap is probably high enough to offset the higher COL relative to MD/VA suburbs.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,284,327 times
Tough call because it’s more of a question of whether a rough commute into midtown is worth the extra $75,000 per year in income. I think the additional income may be worth it honestly. If you invest the extra $75k per year (after taxes) it’s going to really add up over time. You may pay more for housing, but you’ll eventually get it back if you own.

Old 12-09-2023, 05:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I would imagine someone commanding the combined salaries of all the teachers at a typical small American public school would be able to figure this out on their own.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:01 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
DC. I wouldn't want to waste that much of my life commuting into midtown Manhattan. You never get that time back.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:52 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
If you aren't looking for multifamily living, I would probably lean DC area. Although the pay gap is big enough to make this close. You could live in DC proper for the salary. However, you likely couldn't live with a yard in prime area on that salary. Crime in DC is no joke, so you want to take that into account. In NY, you could find a nice commuter town in NNJ for the salary. The salary gap is probably high enough to offset the higher COL relative to MD/VA suburbs.
Actually, I'd say a place like the Fleetwood area of Mount Vernon in Westchester County allows for a relatively short commute to where the OP needs to be: https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...rnon/Fleetwood

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Flee...!3e3?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9259...8192?entry=ttu

Old 12-10-2023, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would imagine someone commanding the combined salaries of all the teachers at a typical small American public school would be able to figure this out on their own.

I asked which city others would prefer to live in if presented with my opportunities, with my needs. I'm not a psychic; I can't "figure this out on my own."

Old 12-10-2023, 03:43 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
I voted NYC because I like NYC better, not because you would get a better quality of life or be able to rent/buy larger living quarters. NYC is like no other place in the world; you will either love or hate it. It is no comparison to DC, which is kind of like a mid-sized Midwestern city, with a lot of snooty people, the great majority of whom have mundane jobs. If you will be working in DC proper, you might want to take into account the outrageously high crime rate, which per capita is many times the crime rate in NYC.

Have you lived in either of these two cities before? If not, you should go and spend as much time in these places as possible, even if it is only for weekend visits.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:50 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times
I’ve lived in both. NYC is NYC… no city comes close (even though you’d be in the metro). DC is cool but in the city crime is a real problem so keep that in mind. However, I do feel like it’s easier to make really good money or continue to climb the ladder and make good money if that is important to you and just networking overall is easier - that’s not really the case in NYC. I found it to be siloed, everyone lives in their own world which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Since you also want a yard I think DC fits more of what you’re looking for. Granted, you don’t get much yard if any in DC but it’s more than what you’d get in NYC. Also, commuting into Manhattan is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:09 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Definitely, DC. NYC is good to visit not live around at that salary comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City