Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
well because that city has DOMINATED urban/hiphop culture for like 7 years now; however, I will admit Atlanta is a close second--maybe even tied.

Plus their accent is MUCH more distinct than any other city in the south; I would recognize a New Orleans accent 10/10 times-- ya heard meh?

And, their area code (504) is probably the most well recognized in the rap game (or w/e you wanna call it).

again, with all this said, it really is a toss up with Atlanta.

obviously, there are TONSSS of other factors to consider than merely a cities influence in hiphop, but I don't know enough about these cities to give it proper consideration.
Man, get real. I think that you even know what you're saying doesnt make any sense, and you're trying to tick off ATL posters.

Lil Wayne is one of the most popular rappers out there, but he's just ONE popular New Orleans' artist during the time span you indicated. Atlanta's had a whole roster of popular mainstream Hip-Hop/R&B acts over that same time span.

Your logic = Drake is from Toronto and he's taking over the airwaves currently, so I guess that means TORONTO is dominating Hip-Hop right now right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Don't you get dizzy from shaking your head so much? smh. No **** rap/hiphop isn't the only thing that makes up AA culture, I was simply mentioning the rap scene in various cities because I haven't spent enough--or any--time in most of the cities on the list to get a feel for the culture there. smh. I am, however, familiar with the prominent rap/hiphop artists in the various cities, so that's why it was the one thing I mentioned! smh. If you'd read the posts you would have been able to figure this out. smh.

And of course master p, soulja slim, baby, juvi, etc etc came before wayne, and therefore put NOLA on the map FIRST. My point is that lil wayne put NOLA on the map on a much more wide-ranging scale. People all over the entire world, from all walks of life, listen to lil wayne, and in doing so get SOME insight into the culture in NOLA--that's all I'm saying. smh. smh.

And I don't care if people in Detroit respect eminem, the fact remains that 9.9/10 people IMMEDIATELY associated eminem with the city of detroit. So deal with it. smh smh smh

smh
smh
smh

smh

...see how annoying that is? smh.
i dont give a damn how annoying it is to you!

fact is you CLEARLY tried to say NO over ATL solely because of Lil Wayne and even if people all over listen to Wayne so what people from all over listen to Young Jeezy, Gucci, Outkast etc.

It doesn't matter if people associate Em with Detroit or not HE'S NOTHING TO DETROIT PEOPLE!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 AM

I guess Wayne being the most well known rapper from NO AT THIS MOMENT some how makes NO the capital of Black America???? oh yea lets just forget about all the black people moving to places like Atlanta for jobs outside of the music industry and becoming successful lmao

Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Man, get real. I think that you even know what you're saying doesnt make any sense, and you're trying to tick off ATL posters.

Lil Wayne is one of the most popular rappers out there, but he's just ONE popular New Orleans' artist during the time span you indicated. Atlanta's had a whole roster of popular mainstream Hip-Hop/R&B acts over that same time span.

Your logic = Drake is from Toronto and he's taking over the airwaves currently, so I guess that means TORONTO is dominating Hip-Hop right now right???
ditto

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I guess Wayne being the most well known rapper from NO AT THIS MOMENT some how makes NO the capital of Black America???? oh yea lets just forget about all the black people moving to places like Atlanta for jobs outside of the music industry and becoming successful lmao
Quote:
i dont give a damn how annoying it is to you!

fact is you CLEARLY tried to say NO over ATL solely because of Lil Wayne and even if people all over listen to Wayne so what people from all over listen to Young Jeezy, Gucci, Outkast etc.

It doesn't matter if people associate Em with Detroit or not HE'S NOTHING TO DETROIT PEOPLE!
All of this is true, and to my knowledge New Orleans has a similar feel about Lil Wayne as Detroit does about Eminem.

New Orleans respects and cares more about Soulja Slim(R.I.P.), B.G., Juvenile and even Lil Boosie (Baton Rouge) more than Lil Wayne....because their music has more of a "Louisiana" feel to it.

As far as being representative of the city and state, N.O. could care less about Lil Wayne's pop music...rapping over auto tune with Nicki Minaj. That's just a universal pop sound.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:38 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
You think so?

Lil Wayne has done great things no one can dispute that but do you really think his accomplishments outpace that of Gucci, Soljah Boy, TI, Andre 3000, Jeezy and many many more? He's only one person you know. That's like saying Usher's lone accomplishments have single handedly propelled Atlanta to the forefront of the R&B sector because of his success in recent years. Not quite.

As for my answer to the OP's question, I can show you better than I can tell you....

Charlotte?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
lets get one thing straight, Em didn't do **** for Detroit. He's not from here and gets no respect in the city. Ask around smh

Secondly since when was hip hop/rap the ONLY thing that make up AA culture? even when it comes to music hip hop/rap is the furthest from the ONLY thing we have um pop? techno? house? jazz? blues? rock and roll? r&b?

third if you think wayne being popular makes NO the mecca for blacks and would put it over ATL smh thats ridiculous. ATL has put out way more artisits than NO has. Plus Wayne did not put NO on the map. That goes to Master P and No Limit who were before Cash Money. And if anything when it comes to Cash Money I would consider B.G and Juvie over Wayne since they were really the ones who put CM on.
Thank You! It's about time someone set the record straight. Can't believe they were all acting like Lil Wayne was this great originator when he was simply riding the coat tail of Baby who was simply mimicking Master P.

I first learned about the whole New Orleans rap scene (as well as the New Orleans Hood scene) from listening to Master P. That was back when Lil Wayne was still in grade school.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-13-2010 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
in terms of population, the 'capital' (whatever the hell that's even supposed to mean) the top 3, in order, would be:

1)Gary
2)Detroit
3)Birmingham

[b]List of U.S. cities with large African American populations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/B]however, now that i'm thinking about it, I dont even understand what this poll is asking? what the hell makes a city the 'black capital'????
Atlanta is the Black Capital. Because, unbeknown st to most, Atlanta has a Black Senate and Black Representatives that make laws for AA's. D.C. is close second because they have the Black President that executes these laws. But they can't be first because he lives in a "White House" Now if he lived in the Black House they would be first.

New York has the Black Supreme Court that makes sure these laws follow the "Black Constitution" so they are third.

That make sense to you?

P.S.: Don't tell anybody. White folks might get mad if they found out we were running our own little country inside their country right up under their noses.

Last edited by Galounger; 10-13-2010 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta is the Black Capital. Because unbeknown st to most Atlanta has a Black Senate and Black Representatives that make laws for AA's. D.C. is close second because they have the Black President that approves these laws. But they can't be first because he lives in a "White House" Now if he lived in the Black House they would be first.

That make sense to you?
A Black House would soak up an awful lot of sunlight, causing the Black House to become very warm, raising its energy cost to keep it cool, thus raising taxes to make the money to keep it cool....we dont wanna see a black house that bad.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta is the Black Capital. Because, unbeknown st to most, Atlanta has a Black Senate and Black Representatives that make laws for AA's. D.C. is close second because they have the Black President that approves these laws. But they can't be first because he lives in a "White House" Now if he lived in the Black House they would be first.

That make sense to you?
Dude, shhh, they're not supposed to know about the secret meetings....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City