Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
hearing the above is like hearing that cali wasn't messing with the chronic or the chronic 2001 at all and was messing with mac dre, e40 or keak instead.

rather than messing with *insert local act that only gets play locally* AND dr dre.

does that make sense?
trust me its not the same

But if someone BORN AND RAISED in a city says the city doesn't support somebody, how can I (an outsider) tell them this isn't true? For instance I've seen comments on here about DC not really supporting Wale but you don't see me protesting it or telling them they should support him because he reps DC. Thats their business who am I to say what is what when I haven't been to DC to know? you keep trying to argue about what YOU believe but your not a Detroiter and I doubt you've been to Detroit. I'm young but I'm old enough to remember everybody in the city copping the artists I named albums and not Em, or hearing a ESCB, Rock Bottom or STL song every five minutes on Detroit radio, or witnessing people say "Em aint ****" when someone from out of town disrespects him but will fight a person from out of town for disrespecting Blade (ask Young Berg lol) etc

Like I already said I'm not saying every last Detroit person is anti-Em, but collectively he doesn't get as much respect in the city as people from other cities tend to think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
In response to a poster who said that graduates from AUC only contribute to local Atlanta politics, doesn't that add to the point that Atlanta is the Black capital using that reasoning? Which of the cities being compared to Atlanta has produced that many Black local politicians? This is why in the early 20th century Blacks were flocking to Harlem to experience the renaissance; because we ran it.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
trust me its not the same

But if someone BORN AND RAISED in a city says the city doesn't support somebody, how can I (an outsider) tell them this isn't true? For instance I've seen comments on here about DC not really supporting Wale but you don't see me protesting it or telling them they should support him because he reps DC. Thats their business who am I to say what is what when I haven't been to DC to know? you keep trying to argue about what YOU believe but your not a Detroiter and I doubt you've been to Detroit. I'm young but I'm old enough to remember everybody in the city copping the artists I named albums and not Em, or hearing a ESCB, Rock Bottom or STL song every five minutes on Detroit radio, or witnessing people say "Em aint ****" when someone from out of town disrespects him but will fight a person from out of town for disrespecting Blade (ask Young Berg lol) etc

Like I already said I'm not saying every last Detroit person is anti-Em, but collectively he doesn't get as much respect in the city as people from other cities tend to think

You originally made it seem like he was universally hated out there; you also made it seem like he was completely isolated from Detroit in some tucked away suburb that he never ventured away off from. My goal was simply to show how this cannot be true. How do you become "childhood friends" with all these people who even you would admit lived IN detroit (i.e. proof).

You obviously know more about how much he is respected in the D, because you live there--so I wont argue that. But eminem is the best selling ARTIST OF THE DECADE (look it up), so why the hell would detroit NOT want a guy like that affiliated with their city?!? I just don't get that? Also, vibe magazine voted him as the best rapper alive! Why the hell would people in Detroit feel the need to 'play down' his presence?! I completely understand if they don't like his music, and are more into the people you named, but being able to claim to be the home of an artist of this stature should be an honor!

Not to mention his movie 8 mile (like it or not) gave Detroit a reputation for having a very strong and impressive hiphop scene. While people in Detroit obviously already knew this, it made people all of the world aware of that aspect of Detroit. All in all, Eminem would be a good look for ANY city--let alone Detroit.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:35 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
You originally made it seem like he was universally hated out there; you also made it seem like he was completely isolated from Detroit in some tucked away suburb that he never ventured away off from. My goal was simply to show how this cannot be true. How do you become "childhood friends" with all these people who even you would admit lived IN detroit (i.e. proof).
all what people? D12? He hooked up with Trick later in life, as well as royce. Supposedly when he was battling at the hip hop shop. From what I can remember Proof's mother saying he has only been friends with Proof since high school and basically hooked up with him when first started rapping. Just becaused he ventured into Detroit as he got older doesn't mean we have to claim him. You said "what Em did for Detroit" and I simply said he didn't do ****. which he didn't.

You obviously know more about how much he is respected in the D, because you live there--so I wont argue that. But eminem is the best selling ARTIST OF THE DECADE (look it up), so why the hell would detroit NOT want a guy like that affiliated with their city?!? I just don't get that? Also, vibe magazine voted him as the best rapper alive! Why the hell would people in Detroit feel the need to 'play down' his presence?! I completely understand if they don't like his music, and are more into the people you named, but being able to claim to be the home of an artist of this stature should be an honor!
Because he is not a good rep of Detroit hip hop. He doesn't sound anything like Detroit artist, like I've alreadly mentioned he claims Detroit but he does nothing for the city. Why should it be an honor to claim Em when our real artists, those who get so much respect in the city, doesn't get noticed and they show more love to the city??? play down his pressence??? dude doesn't even come in the city
Not to mention his movie 8 mile (like it or not) gave Detroit a reputation for having a very strong and impressive hiphop scene. While people in Detroit obviously already knew this, it made people all of the world aware of that aspect of Detroit. All in all, Eminem would be a good look for ANY city--let alone Detroit.
Lol I hear how he was portrayed in 8mile was over exaggerated. It put a light on Detroit for hot min but how many record execs in the music industry said "oh wait lets go to Detroit to find artists" because of 8mile?
/

Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I'm speaking for anyone who finds this topic utterly absurd. To suggest that a city represents the "capital" of all black people suggests that all black people are alike. IMO, nothing could be further from the truth. There are black people living in NYC and Boston today who wouldn't be caught dead in Atlanta.

About my "projecting" or my "personal hatred", you are not qualified to know this because you know thing about me. Don't kill the messenger because you can't handle the message.

About my feelings about the South, I despise bigotry as practiced anywhere, including the South. I have an utter disdain for the racial history of the South and the present-day ultra-conservative leanings of the region. Many black people are content to live elsewhere because of this too. A city within this region is far from being a focal point for black people who define commonality by factors other than racial similarities.
I know your post history, and it speaks volumes. You have nothing but total disdain for any city that is not in the older and colder regions of the country, and you have ALWAYS been extremely divisive and arrogant when it comes to any place you don't deem worthy of your arrogant and elitist views.

This city happens to be THE undisputed CRADLE of the Civil Rights movement - but you compleley dismiss this undeniable fact. This was the ONLY major American city that did not explode into major riots after the assasination of MLK, and it just happens to be his home town. Get a damn clue, and check out the view outside of your hollow ivory tower.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 AM

6 posts, read 9,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
In response to a poster who said that graduates from AUC only contribute to local Atlanta politics, doesn't that add to the point that Atlanta is the Black capital using that reasoning? Which of the cities being compared to Atlanta has produced that many Black local politicians? This is why in the early 20th century Blacks were flocking to Harlem to experience the renaissance; because we ran it.
that's a good point. i came across this book recently that i think is relevant to what we're discussing. i was only able to skim through it at the bookstore but it looks like an interesting read. The title is "Challenging U.S. Apartheid: Atlanta and Black Struggles for Human Rights, 1960–1977"
Product Description:
"Challenging U.S. Apartheid is an innovative, richly detailed history of Black struggles for human dignity, equality, and opportunity in Atlanta from the early 1960s through the end of the initial term of Maynard Jackson, the city’s first Black mayor, in 1977. Winston A. Grady-Willis provides a seamless narrative stretching from the student nonviolent direct action movement and the first experiments in urban field organizing through efforts to define and realize the meaning of Black Power to the reemergence of Black women-centered activism. The work of African Americans in Atlanta, Grady-Willis argues, was crucial to the broader development of late-twentieth-century Black freedom struggles."

Old 10-14-2010, 05:54 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post

this is pretty much all i was trying to say.

i'm trying to picture everybody but ppl in detroit running to the store to cop sslp and mmlp circia 99-2001...

for the record, i'm not from detroit at all...but i specifically remember getting into debates with a dude from detroit around 2002-2003 on the net who swore up and down that shady records/aftermath had the illest roster and he messed with em heavily.

at the time i was a fan of the roc so i wasn't buying that and we always went back and forth. so basically his opinion is the complete opposite of detroitloves...and he's from the same city as you, detroitlove. its too bad he no longer posts because i'd like to ask him some questions and show him this thread.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Atlanta is easily the answer to this question.

And to the sensitive people that get offended by the question, chill out. We know there are black people everywhere. But since we are the overwhelming minority in most places in the country, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking where our culture is most dominant and where we tend to be most successful.

BTW, whose idea was it to put Seattle on there? Lol

Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesci View Post
that's a good point. i came across this book recently that i think is relevant to what we're discussing. i was only able to skim through it at the bookstore but it looks like an interesting read. The title is "Challenging U.S. Apartheid: Atlanta and Black Struggles for Human Rights, 1960–1977"
Product Description:
"Challenging U.S. Apartheid is an innovative, richly detailed history of Black struggles for human dignity, equality, and opportunity in Atlanta from the early 1960s through the end of the initial term of Maynard Jackson, the city’s first Black mayor, in 1977. Winston A. Grady-Willis provides a seamless narrative stretching from the student nonviolent direct action movement and the first experiments in urban field organizing through efforts to define and realize the meaning of Black Power to the reemergence of Black women-centered activism. The work of African Americans in Atlanta, Grady-Willis argues, was crucial to the broader development of late-twentieth-century Black freedom struggles."
This seems like it would be a good book. Atlanta definitely has a strong case, as it seems others have so deemed according to this poll. However, NYC, Phily, DC, Chicago, Detroit, and Memphis have a strong reason and AA culture for why they should be considered.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This seems like it would be a good book. Atlanta definitely has a strong case, as it seems others have so deemed according to this poll. However, NYC, Phily, DC, Chicago, Detroit, and Memphis have a strong reason and AA culture for why they should be considered.
I agree that all of the above cities have strong African-American communities, but realistically only NYC, Chicago, DC or Atlanta could ever claim the mantle of "Black Capital". Those four cities have gone above and beyond what other cities have done.

Last edited by waronxmas; 10-14-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City