Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

I guess Atlanta by default
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:17 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Why is it the least integrated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
historical red-lining.
in 2013 the atlantic did a heat map of most segregated cities. chicago was #1; iirc, n.y.c. was #4, bos was #6, philly ~ #8, washington, d.c. ~ #9 or something.

i remember being astonished that the liberal north was actually less integrated than the confederate south.

(of course with gentrification in the last 5 years those maps are different geographically; although, still tell the same story).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-19-2019 at 05:27 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 02:17 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
historical red-lining.
This is incorrect. It is based on cultural differences regarding value. Black people in general place more value on space (more house for your money) while white people generally place more value on location and amenities when talking about city living.

This is why white people will pay to live in a small studio or 1-bedroom apartment right in the center of everything above a trendy coffee shop or restaurant for the same amount of money that it would cost them to live in a large 3-bedroom home in the suburbs. Black people, on the other hand, would generally rather live in the 3-bedroom home than pay the same amount for a studio in a trendy neighborhood.

That is why black people are moving away from inner city neighborhoods. It's not that they can't afford to live there. They don't think it's worth paying that much money to live there when they could get more for their money.

Personally, I think its sad because black people always seem to be a day late and a dollar short. We owned all these homes in the cities across the nation and then developers came in offering us cash for our homes and we sold instead of keeping our homes. Now, many people have moved to the suburbs and bought large houses that won't be worth anything in the future as they age while homes in the city will continue to skyrocket in value as everyone now wants to get back into the city.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is incorrect. It is based on cultural differences regarding value. Black people in general place more value on space (more house for your money) while white people generally place more value on location and amenities when talking about city living.

This is why white people will pay to live in a small studio or 1-bedroom apartment right in the center of everything above a trendy coffee shop or restaurant for the same amount of money that it would cost them to live in a large 3-bedroom home in the suburbs. Black people, on the other hand, would generally rather live in the 3-bedroom home than pay the same amount for a studio in a trendy neighborhood.

That is why black people are moving away from inner city neighborhoods. It's not that they can't afford to live there. They don't think it's worth paying that much money to live there when they could get more for their money.

Personally, I think its sad because black people always seem to be a day late and a dollar short. We owned all these homes in the cities across the nation and then developers came in offering us cash for our homes and we sold instead of keeping our homes. Now, many people have moved to the suburbs and bought large houses that won't be worth anything in the future as they age while homes in the city will continue to skyrocket in value as everyone now wants to get back into the city.
That's not completely incorrect on redlining ( still active today in a different fashion) and not all Black are moving for the reason you spoke on entirely. It's COL along with individual choices. Some of the working class and up Blacks will remain in the city , others will not. If you haven't notice it's almost equal amount in a metro city's proper & surburbs ( including exurbs).

Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM

51 posts, read 49,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It’s way too segregated for me to feel like it’s the black Capitol.

Atlanta, from my experience, feels like a much, much blacker city and overall more integrated. DC feels very segregated, and for the areas that are gentrifying, it feels not so much as integration, rather, pushing black folk out.

Im not black so I’m not sure if that makes my perception different. But that’s my personal experience.
DC is not segregated anymore than Atlanta, in Atlanta and DC it's about money not race

Atlanta and DC are best options for black americans

Average Wealthy Private school enrollment in DC is 15% black and 55% white, Average Wealthy Private school enrollment in Atl is 10% black 65% white

Old 01-22-2019, 05:02 PM

596 posts, read 729,896 times
Quote:

I think you way over-simplified why so many Black people in various cities sold their homes to developers. Some may have sold just to cash out and get a bigger home in the suburbs, but I assure you many indeed could no longer afford to live in their homes. Plenty held out as long as they could, but some folks couldn't afford to pay the skyrocketing property taxes on their homes as their property increased in value due to new development and gentrification. I'm specifically thinking of older people, many who were retired and on fixed incomes, who had lived in their homes for decades. Those folks didn't just cash out and uproot their lives because they saw dollar signs and had dreams of living in a big house in the suburbs. Saying that Black people always seem to be a day late and a dollar short is a rather myopic view of a much more complicated and nuanced issue.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I think you way over-simplified why so many Black people in various cities sold their homes to developers. Some may have sold just to cash out and get a bigger home in the suburbs, but I assure you many indeed could no longer afford to live in their homes. Plenty held out as long as they could, but some folks couldn't afford to pay the skyrocketing property taxes on their homes as their property increased in value due to new development and gentrification. I'm specifically thinking of older people, many who were retired and on fixed incomes, who had lived in their homes for decades. Those folks didn't just cash out and uproot their lives because they saw dollar signs and had dreams of living in a big house in the suburbs. Saying that Black people always seem to be a day late and a dollar short is a rather myopic view of a much more complicated and nuanced issue.
That doesn’t apply to DC. We have tax relief for our residents especially if you’re elderly. Also, many times, grandma and grandpa died and the kids sold for the profit. In DC historically, people thought you had made it if you moved to Maryland. That was the come up back in the 1980s and 1990s. Now, you’ve only made it if you have the money to buy in DC. Sadly, most people will never be able to set foot in DC again because prices have moved out of reach. I tried my best to convince as many people as I could to buy in DC years ago, but many waited too long. Now, it’s too late.

This is actually evident as many black people move to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston for cheaper housing. Meanwhile, the wealth is in NYC, DC, Boston, and San Fran. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Black people should be flocking to where the money is. That is the safest investment. Then a recession comes and we wonder why our houses aren’t worth anything. It’s because nobody is buying them. The demand isn’t there. Price stabilization is based on demand.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-22-2019 at 09:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Quote:

Both you and the poster you quoted are correct

Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

Your post lacks historical context. Seeing as though Black people have really only been free to live wherever they wanted to in cities/metro areas for a couple decades now, the value that Blacks put a premium on more than anything is choice with value coming in a close second. For most of this country's history, Blacks were restricted to only living in parts of central cities in major urban areas, and they weren't the best parts due to our overall lower socioeconomic status and neglect from just about all levels of government. So when discriminatory laws were overturned nationwide and we were given options, we began exploring them. And because we were legally allowed full entrance into the country's labor markets around that same time and were only beginning to build our wealth, most of us settled on the most economical options.

As far as Black folks selling their homes in central cities for little profit, you're forgetting the correlation between demographics and home values. When cities first began gentrifying, of course there wouldn't be as much profit to be had and if none of the Black residents sold, it's very doubtful if there would've even been an urban gentrification/redevelopment phenomenon to begin with or it could have possibly occurred much later in cities with urban ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods. The sad part to me is when a city is in the more advanced stages of gentrification and Black families sell their homes at a profit, but significantly less for what they could have if they had been a bit more informed about all the factors in play.

But at the end of the day, the general principle is that home values, whether in the central cities or suburbs, will be positively correlated with the demographic that has long held most of the wealth in our country's history and negatively correlated with the demographic that was systematically shut out of the wealth-building process via home ownership in the mid-20th century.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-22-2019 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your post lacks historical context. Seeing as though Black people have really only been free to live wherever they wanted to in cities/metro areas for a couple decades now, the value that Blacks put a premium on more than anything is choice with value coming in a close second. For most of this country's history, Blacks were restricted to only living in parts of central cities in major urban areas, and they weren't the best parts due to our overall lower socioeconomic status and neglect from just about all levels of government. So when discriminatory laws were overturned nationwide and we were given options, we began exploring them. And because we were legally allowed full entrance into the country's labor markets around that same time and were only beginning to build our wealth, most of us settled on the most economical options.

As far as Black folks selling their homes in central cities for little profit, you're forgetting the correlation between demographics and home values. When cities first began gentrifying, of course there wouldn't be as much profit to be had and if none of the Black residents sold, it's very doubtful if there would've even been an urban gentrification/redevelopment phenomenon to begin with or it could have possibly occurred much later in cities with urban ethnic/immigrant neighborhoods. The sad part to me is when a city is in the more advanced stages of gentrification and Black families sell their homes at a profit, but significantly less for what they could have if they had been a bit more informed about all the factors in play.
I didn’t lack historical context in my point, I just didn’t eleborate on why we had those values. What you said is true, however, the problem I’m speaking about is happening now in 2019. It’s crazy that black people don’t realize value is not in size, but location in 2019. We are leaving the places where the money is going. Makes no sense at all. We buy expensive clothes and cars for the quality, yet we don’t buy homes for quality based on where they are located. We leave cities that will always have investment and be expensive moving south to cheaper cities that aren’t gateway cities. I have friends in Atlanta with houses still worth only half of what they paid for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City