Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Your credibility is taking major hits here, as you are just making things up at this point:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045218
Some good data for Cobb, can't argue the total numbers. But Forsyth, it still is what it was 20 years ago. Ask Oprah. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Atl.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Some good data for Cobb, can't argue the total numbers. But Forsyth, it still is what it was 20 years ago. Ask Oprah. lol
More fake news. Forsyth has gone from lily white to what it is now in the last 20 years. And the black population is not relegated to South Cobb in the I-20 corridor either as you claimed. You obviously haven't been here in a while, or only saw what you wanted to see while wearing blinders the entire time.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Dallas has a black mayor, black city manager, and a black female police chief. That’s a very impressive feat and a good indicator that black people in DFW are doing alright in a very diverse metro area.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 06-10-2019 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 12:14 AM

700 posts, read 421,293 times
there isn’t one black capitol there are a bunch.

Any city with a high black population and popular is a capitol so NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, Chicago, DC, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, LA, Oakland, Miami. Simply because black folks move around these cities and this is where all the black businesses are and politics.

Cities I would say aren’t capitols are places like Jackson MS, Birmingham Alabama, Flint Mi, Baton Rouge simply because these places are not popular and tend to be more avoided.

Sorry! I’m not one of those people who buys into the notion that Atlanta is our “official” black capitol. why? Because Atlanta is more word of mouth but when you actually visit it feels like a lot of other cities with the same black issues. I would say what makes Atlanta stand out the most is the nightlife for blacks, and the hip hop and strip club scene.

Also we can’t forget the fact that black women are black people and they have a hard time dating in Atlanta.

Even if we had to pick one capitol it would be hard because there are lots of black people who like urban and dense cities which is where DC comes in mind over ATL for us density lovers.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Sorry! I’m not one of those people who buys into the notion that Atlanta is our “official” black capitol. why? Because Atlanta is more word of mouth but when you actually visit it feels like a lot of other cities with the same black issues. I would say what makes Atlanta stand out the most is the nightlife for blacks, and the hip hop and strip club scene.
There is no "official" black capital but there's no denying that Atlanta is clearly a top tier city when it comes to this. Every city that's been talked about in this thread has "the same black issues;" a capital is not a utopia. But not every city has nearly a half century of continuous Black political leadership, multiple HBCUs, a civil rights legacy, a large Black middle/upper middle class, and the breadth and depth of events related to the Black cultural experience that Atlanta has. That stands out a lot more to me than the nightlife scene and to completely omit any of those things and only mention "black issues" and nightlife is pretty disingenuous. You can give a place its just due and it still not be your cup of tea; those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Even if we had to pick one capitol it would be hard because there are lots of black people who like urban and dense cities which is where DC comes in mind over ATL for us density lovers.
NYC is going to be the top choice easily if you're talking about Black folks who prefer living in a dense, urban environment. Most Black folks moving to DC are going to the suburbs, just like in Atlanta.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
More fake news. Forsyth has gone from lily white to what it is now in the last 20 years. And the black population is not relegated to South Cobb in the I-20 corridor either as you claimed. You obviously haven't been here in a while, or only saw what you wanted to see while wearing blinders the entire time.

I was in Cobb in 2017 over in East Cobb. Cobb has changed mainly because of transplants. Forsyth ain't changed. Whose in county government in Cobb? Who runs things there in Forsyth? I bet they OVERWHELMINGLY did not vote for Stacy for Governor. Vote casting doesn't lie. Forsyth voted more than 2 to 1 for Kemp.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
I was in Cobb in 2017 over in East Cobb. Cobb has changed mainly because of transplants. Forsyth ain't changed. Whose in county government in Cobb? Who runs things there in Forsyth? I bet they OVERWHELMINGLY did not vote for Stacy for Governor. Vote casting doesn't lie. Forsyth voted more than 2 to 1 for Kemp.
You just keep digging deeper. And who cares if it's transplants, the fact is Cobb County is 28% black - and you claimed it was all white, and hasn't changed in 20 years. Forsyth has gone from zero to 3.9%, along with a booming Asian population.

You clearly have no idea of what you're talking about here, it's just more of the same Anti-Atlanta troll agenda.

And yes, Kemp won Forsyth but NOT Cobb. Stacey carried the rest of the Metro.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 AM

700 posts, read 421,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There is no "official" black capital but there's no denying that Atlanta is clearly a top tier city when it comes to this. Every city that's been talked about in this thread has "the same black issues;" a capital is not a utopia. But not every city has nearly a half century of continuous Black political leadership, multiple HBCUs, a civil rights legacy, a large Black middle/upper middle class, and the breadth and depth of events related to the Black cultural experience that Atlanta has. That stands out a lot more to me than the nightlife scene and to completely omit any of those things and only mention "black issues" and nightlife is pretty disingenuous. You can give a place its just due and it still not be your cup of tea; those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

NYC is going to be the top choice easily if you're talking about Black folks who prefer living in a dense, urban environment. Most Black folks moving to DC are going to the suburbs, just like in Atlanta.
If you want to speak about “contributions” then I will agree with you no doubt. But I tend to think more about current affairs and on the surface of Atlanta i feel its no different than other cities with a popular large black group. I guess the edge I’ll give Atlanta is that it is perhaps the larges black transplant city.

Hmmm interesting point of view I meet black urban favored transplants all the time in Brooklyn and Harlem but did not know it was more attractive than DC.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
You're just wrong on this one and aren't even using relevant statistics to prove your point. Nobody said anything about Forsyth turning into a liberal bastion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City