U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 172 40.95%
Chicago 248 59.05%
Voters: 420. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,779,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Which is more urban? is the question. What appears more urban by looks is pretty subjective but in numbers Chicago has more of it in both population and development. The title didn't say which "core" is more urban...it's the city.
Well if you're going to say which "city" is overall more urban, you'll have to give it to Philadelphia. The North Side of Chicago is one of the finest examples of urbanity in the United States, but the South and West sides are some of the worst areas in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,719,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Which is more urban? is the question. What appears more urban by looks is pretty subjective but in numbers Chicago has more of it in both population and development. The title didn't say which "core" is more urban...it's the city.
The term urban, in itself ,is a subjective term. What may be urban to you, may not be to me. Sure, you can look at population and say the larger city is more urban, but we all know that would be a flawed argument (Houston/Dallas vs. Boston/SF).

Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 40,766 times
As a Chicagoan who has traveled to Philadelphia at least half a dozen times, I will say that Philly feels more compact than Chicago. That being said, Chicago feels like that too depending on what part of town you are in. The north side reminds me of philly and ny as far as density whereas the south side especially the far south side is less so. I like to visit these cities on the east coast like Philly and NYC but I would never consider moving there because I don't feel like I'm missing anything living in Chicago.

Unlike some poster on CD here that down Chicago and claim it doesn't have culture I disagree. It is all subjective and depends upon what frame of reference you are looking at the city through. If you are trying to compare Chicago to New York than it's a flawed comparison because they're nothing alike. And as far as the comments I see on here about Chicago is midwestern and Philly is part of the big east coast corridor, I say to that so what? I can't speak on the rest of the midwest but I love my city and don't feel the least bit midwestern. It's as if these east coast guys have a superiority complex or something and use midwestern as a insult. Yeah I'm from Chicago, and yeah it's in the midwest so if that makes me a "midwesterner" than so be it. We have our own style in Chicago and we're not trying to be like NY or Philly.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:16 PM

50 posts, read 38,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Your separation between city and country is crime and violence? This sounds pretty awful and narrow. Does this mean neither Paris nor Tokyo are particularly city-like? Or that Manhattan's ceding its city status?
Man this aint got nothin to do with it. the wire shows how baltimore looks like and philly look a lot like b-more. aint nobody say nuthin about crime.

nebody could see that philly way more city than chicago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRuoQo3gJg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnKNr2Tiq8&ob=av2e

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,779,453 times
Dude are you serious?

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,461,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The term urban, in itself ,is a subjective term. What may be urban to you, may not be to me. Sure, you can look at population and say the larger city is more urban, but we all know that would be a flawed argument (Houston/Dallas vs. Boston/SF).
Chicago doesn't haven't a dense vibrant 24/7 French Quarter like New Orleans has but that doesn't make it less urban. You need to look beyond City Center.
Philly will continue to have less urban residential population and development than Chicago in our life time.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Dude are you serious?
jus look at da videos. philly is way more street than the chi. like i said, chicago is real country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSY2_aC8WQ

Old 10-22-2010, 02:14 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,986,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4Life2 View Post
jus look at da videos. philly is way more street than the chi. like i said, chicago is real country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSY2_aC8WQ
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about. Walk the streets of the Westside and the Southside of Chicago and see if they are "country".

Old 10-22-2010, 02:19 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,737,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well if you're going to say which "city" is overall more urban, you'll have to give it to Philadelphia. The North Side of Chicago is one of the finest examples of urbanity in the United States, but the South and West sides are some of the worst areas in the country.
I live on the south side and do not feel like I live "in one of the worst areas of the country". That's an ignorant, blanket statement from someone who knows nothing about those areas. It's true that the many of the worst neighborhoods are on the south side but the manority of them are not that bad. Besides, if I wanted to mvoe to the north side then I would.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about. Walk the streets of the Westside and the Southside of Chicago and see if they are "country".
i know what im sayin cuz i went to chicago like 4 or 5 times. the people r real country; they talk country, act coutnry, errything about chicago is country. at least on southside where my mom's got some fam but i know they are country for real. almost errybody dere from alabama or missisippi and the street culture is not urban like philidelphia, trust me i know. da brat, twista, crucial conflct dey is all from chicago and they are country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City