Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 221 41.00%
Chicago 318 59.00%
Voters: 539. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
1990-2000?? the data you posted is pretty old the link I posted is more recent as Chicago has already blown past those cities in downtown population growth. You need to look at 2010.

Official "downtown" urban residential populations

source: http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/top21fin.pdf (broken link)

Chicago: 115,341
Philly: 75,000 (includes City Center)

2010 popuations

Chicago: 152,295 32.0% change
Philly: 85,000 13.3% change

It really depends on what you consider downtown, if you include the neighnborhoods directly adjoined - less than a ten minute or less walk to the how this was defined you are closer to 180K and add in University City also directly abutting the CBD you are closer to 250K all within a ten minute walk.

other measure actually have Philly as the second largest residential downtown in the US over Chicago - some just consoider the loop - to me all these expand somewhat beyond the tigh confines - today G-ho, Fitler Sq, Bella Vista, Queen Village, No Libs and the Art Museum area all feel like downtown not to mention the 75K living in U City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'd think that someone in their late 20's would be 2nd or 3rd generation Chicagoans.
Yep.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 PM

301 posts, read 639,983 times
Phila can give Chica good run for money. one thing I can remember about chica when I saw for first time was some areas of core seems to die after work hour and many for nice weekend nightlife have to go north end of city. dont get me wrong because I like chicago it is still in my mind second real city in America but Phila imo has consistent urbanity that does not ever reach dying levels in core. as you get closer to core in phila density gets from high to very high, it is like Brooklyn almost. Chicagos density to me feels very unbalanced and seems to range from parts of city

both good cities though, but i give edge to chicago by city for larger density and urban framework but I give edge to phila for exhilaration of density approaching core.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 PM

On the earlier point of Downtown and populations - this picture is taken 15 blocks from where the Center City cutoff is on population and downtown

This also shows some sense of the density among rowhomes from South Philly back toward Center City

Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On the earlier point of Downtown and populations - this picture is taken 15 blocks from where the Center City cutoff is on population and downtown

This also shows some sense of the density among rowhomes from South Philly back toward Center City
Meanwhile, 15 blocks away from the Loop and you're still among highrises. Here's the view from the Hancock observatory, about 10 blocks from the Loop, looking away from the Loop.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Meanwhile, 15 blocks away from the Loop and you're still among highrises. Here's the view from the Hancock observatory, about 10 blocks from the Loop, looking away from the Loop.

I am not disputing this at all - but that is mostly lined along the coast - like Miami but - I actually prefer the neighborhoods in a few blocks to be honest in your image from the line along the coast

and for the record I absolutely love Chicago but to me on downtown vibrance Philly is at least equal - I believe surpassing Chicago - on Skyline there is no contest but at street level to me this is a different story. But Chicago is larger and has urbanity over a wider area

But some people say Philly loses density/vibrance at the border which is not true - this is in Delaware County PA - Philly almost gets to the same population as Chicago given the same sq milage and on MSA remember an area like Waukegan is already 15-20 miles into the NYC MSA - the development is similar - actually more people in the same space from that perspective just counted in different places here

Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 PM

That's Upper Darby, which isn't even 3 miles from Center City.

What's your point?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's Upper Darby, which isn't even 3 miles from Center City.

What's your point?

Yes it is - my point is that Philly is not that much smaller than Chicago - on skyline Chicago is a lot bigger but on size and continuance of urbanity Philly is very close - even the UA just gets cut because of the NYC MSA - it resides in an area where the cities are much closer together

My pictures are really a result where a Chicago poster outlined a 9 square block area in chicago that represented the downtown of Philly and that the developement dropped off beyond - yes in highrises Chicago are more impressive and over a larger area larger but on developed urbanity it is much closer than some stats would show

Point on a place like Upper Darby - it is not included in the city population yet is as close and as developed as an area like wicker park

Old 10-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yes it is - my point is that Philly is not that much smaller than Chicago - on skyline Chicago is a lot bigger but on size and continuance of urbanity Philly is very close - even the UA just gets cut because of the NYC MSA - it resides in an area where the cities are much closer together

My pictures are really a result where a Chicago poster outlined a 9 square block area in chicago that represented the downtown of Philly and that the developement dropped off beyond - yes in highrises Chicago are more impressive and over a larger area larger but on developed urbanity it is much closer than some stats would show

Point on a place like Upper Darby - it is not included in the city population yet is as close and as developed as an area like wicker park
So your suburbs start at less than 3 miles from Center City and you think Philly isn't that much smaller than Chicago? And you think Upper Darby is as developed as Wicker Park even though Wicker Park has nearly twice the population density?

Put the crack pipe down, son.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
You could say the same thing about places like Oak Park and Evanston. Judging by that picture, Upper Darby isn't nearly as urban and developed as Wicker Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City