U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city is more urban at street level?
Philadelphia 159 40.56%
Chicago 233 59.44%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,095,016 times
No I dont think the stats about population and commercial density are skewed its just Chicago is more urban and dense than Philadelphia. Granted the streets are smaller and buildings seem closer together in philadelphia. But Chicago is physicaly more dense and urban than Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,257,299 times
Who cares. Urbanity is overrated.

Urban= Parking tickets, bums, urine soaked subways, expensive everything downtown, the daily grind, running into old acquaintances you'd rather not see, low paying temp jobs, bogus colleges, decrepit tax leaching slums, kids basically raising themselves, bicycling hippies and all kinds of wierdos.

Urban doesn't automatically mean good, for alot of people it actually means poverty.
The upside is that you don't need a car, and have alot of variety in a relatively small area. With that said, Philly and Chicago are both about as urban as an American city can get, outside of NYC. So trying to decide which one is more urban is really just splitting hairs.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,121,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Who cares. Urbanity is overrated.

Urban= Parking tickets, bums, urine soaked subways, expensive everything downtown, the daily grind, running into old acquaintances you'd rather not see, low paying temp jobs, bogus colleges, decrepit tax leaching slums, kids basically raising themselves, bicycling hippies and all kinds of wierdos.

Urban doesn't automatically mean good, for alot of people it actually means poverty.
The upside is that you don't need a car, and have alot of variety in a relatively small area. With that said, Philly and Chicago are both about as urban as an American city can get, outside of NYC. So trying to decide which one is more urban is really just splitting hairs.
It's overrated huh? Let's see... where would you rather live/visit/vacation/travel to/see/experience?

This is Philadelphia a couple miles from the downtown core:

And here's Phoenix a couple away:

Yeah get back to me on that.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM

5,239 posts, read 4,364,948 times
Philly is EXTREMELY urban, and not necessarily in a good way; some of those rowhouse neighborhoods are pretty awful..

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
It's overrated huh? Let's see... where would you rather live/visit/vacation/travel to/see/experience?

This is Philadelphia a couple miles from the downtown core:

And here's Phoenix a couple away:

Yeah get back to me on that.

I used to live in Center City as a teen(among many other places in and around Philly throughout my childhood), I went to college in center city, and I currently have to go there every day for work. PPA practically has a hit out for me.

Don't get me wrong, Philly has one of the nations most vibrant downtowns and thats a good thing for the city and metro. I can see what your saying as far as tourism and stuff, but having to deal with it almost everyday sucks. It gets old. I've been going there(usually not by choice) for as long as I can remember. You sound like someone who is naive to downtown living.

and that Pic of Philly is not a couple miles away from Center city, its in center city.

This is a couple of miles(about 3) away from Center City, in Upper Darby, PA

Please educate yourself.

Last edited by killakoolaide; 10-14-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 PM

I wouldn't put down sunbelt cities for being suburban considering they just recently became big cities. I wish I could see what they'll look like in a couple hundred years, They wouldn't even be recognizable to us as we know them today. Imagine if a Philadelphian from 200 years ago could see their city today. They would be floored.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM

3,928 posts, read 8,375,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Philly is EXTREMELY urban, and not necessarily in a good way; some of those rowhouse neighborhoods are pretty awful..

But Some neighborhoods are pretty stupendous as well. Those aerials that were posted look dated perhaps 40-45 years old. I think the average person would be pleasantly surprised if they had the oppurtunity to explore South Philly,West philly and Center City. Meh North Philly not so much.NW Philly is awesome and NE Philly has 300,000 middle class residents and resembles suburbia.

Last edited by rainrock; 10-14-2010 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 11:00 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,446,440 times
I'm trying to figure out when Phoenix got in on this one... Chicago vs Philadelphia, but let's add Phoenix and see what happens.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,875,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm trying to figure out when Phoenix got in on this one... Chicago vs Philadelphia, but let's add Phoenix and see what happens.
It will get real ugly real quick for phoenix

Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 AM

385 posts, read 426,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Easy?? Are you kidding me? Educate yourself first, lol.
This is one of those situations where the smaller city (in population and skyline) is the more urban city. Philly feels more urban to me than Chicago, just like San Francisco feels much more urban than Toronto (an analagous comparison, IMO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City