Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 11:46 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,847,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, and I would say, without question, that the only city I've ever been to that was greener with more trees is Pittsburgh. Obviously, many people commenting on this thread have never been to Pittsburgh, or it would be getting a LOT more votes.
You're right about that....Very few cities (ATL is one) can match how Pittsburgh is just so lush and green throughout the city-scape and add to that the hills and just the all around natural setting.

Last edited by JMT; 05-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Max of 6 pics per post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 06:14 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You're right about that....Very few cities (ATL is one) can match how Pittsburgh is just so lush and green throughout the city-scape and add to that the hills and just the all around natural setting.
Cool pics especially the first and the third,

I view Pittsburgh as Atlanta's northern cousin technically the northern half over 2 million of the Atlanta area is consider Appalachia. Just as Charlotte is very forested too maybe it's something about the whole region. The ridge and valley, The Cumberland Plateau, The Piedmont and the mountain Ranges. Most of the eastern US is forested but I feel cities adjusted with the Appalachian system have done a good job of developing with the setting.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ocatorMap2.png

Atlanta

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6044/6...ffcdf231_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2174/2...3111fdd1_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2138/2...3657336b_b.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4052/4...26f0cfb2_b.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2015/2...0f93ae06_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Max of 6 pics per post

Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,171,172 times
Wow trees grow straight and get taller than 8 feet?! I want to move from Kansas.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta
Thank you for those beautiful pictures of Atlanta. You can imagine how seeing that impressed someone moving from LA who indifferently took an interview there and then saw THAT!

Kudos for the other pictures of Pittsburgh (other poster). From seeing it as a kid in some National Geographic article or other publication, it had a real "homey" forested look about it.

Let's face it. Any place with streets that look like they are out of a Thomas Kincaid (sp) painting has to be cool.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 05-20-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Chicago doesn't have many trees outside of parks...
It's not top dog, but the city has gone pretty tree crazy the past few decades. The old mayor had hundreds of thousands planted.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,818,776 times
^Interesting....I didn't know there was an initiative to plant that many trees in Chicago. My mom grew up in the city and always complained to me how "treeless" the city was, and when we lived there in the 2000's the area we lived in had SOME trees, but wasn't exactly a jungle either (not bad for such an urban area though!).

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM

41 posts, read 116,587 times
Memphis, Charleston (WV), Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Richmond... I could be forgetting some but I believe those are the cities that would have the most trees.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,247,394 times
As nice as those pictures of Atlanta are, I don't think they're a great example of just how unusually green the area is. I'll try to find some others.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,247,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It is more so in the American South, but this phenomenon is particular strong in the Piedmont Region and Atlanta.

It's a unique combo of climate, precipitation, and elevation that cause this heavy, quick tree+forest growth effect (with the corresponding urban forest, city in a forest).
Do you have any info to back this up? I've never heard of higher elevations spurring vegetation growth, but I could be dead wrong.

Also, I'm not certain that the Piedmont necessarily has a monopoly on tree growth in the south. I've seen plenty of lower lying areas from the Carolinas to East Texas where the tree growth is very thick and seemingly impenetrable.

If anything, Atlanta is FAR better than most cities when it comes to planting and preserving the natural growth.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^Interesting....I didn't know there was an initiative to plant that many trees in Chicago. My mom grew up in the city and always complained to me how "treeless" the city was, and when we lived there in the 2000's the area we lived in had SOME trees, but wasn't exactly a jungle either (not bad for such an urban area though!).
Daley started it back in the late 1990's. They've gone through heat maps each year and plant about 10,000 trees in the areas of the city where the coverage is the lowest. So far it's been hundreds of thousands. There's an initiative where you can go online and enter in your address and the city will come out and plant a tree in the area between the sidewalk and the street for free. This thread actually prompted me to set up plantings at either end of my block where I noticed trees missing when I was doing out community litter cleanup this weekend.

Here's the view from the top of my apartment. There are lots of trees in the front yards and a pretty solid line of them on all the streets around me. It's like a little canopy when you walk down the sidewalk, I love it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City