Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 20,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,we are from dallas tx,its a gr8 place to live but unfortunately my husband
suffers from allergies(mold,fungus etc) and recurrent sinusitis plus the barometeric(pressure) change which is common here, affects us 2(me and our toddler ) .
he has 2 job offrers one from, AZ Chandler and other Fort Collin CO.
its a difficult decision ld u plzzz help us decide with pro n cons of both places??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superb1 View Post
Hi,we are from dallas tx,its a gr8 place to live but unfortunately my husband
suffers from allergies(mold,fungus etc) and recurrent sinusitis plus the barometeric(pressure) change which is common here, affects us 2(me and our toddler ) .
he has 2 job offrers one from, AZ Chandler and other Fort Collin CO.
its a difficult decision ld u plzzz help us decide with pro n cons of both places??
There's going to be less mold, fungus and barometric variability here than Ft. Collins. But we have heat, dry, dry air and dust and plenty of other allergens floating around. Sinus inflammation is a major problem for me and many who live here. I don't know how Ft. Collins stacks up in the sinus area, but on just about every point I can think of Ft. Collins would be my choice over Chandler hands down. But that's me. Do you want trendy college town or big city suburbia?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM

168 posts, read 456,416 times
Don't move here if you're looking for allergy relief. My allergies have gotten worse since living here and I don't know very many people who don't have problems, especially during monsoon and the dust storms. The dust that's kicked up gets everywhere, including your nose, and it's disgusting. There are many days that you can actually see a cloud of particulates in the air, hanging over the valley.

That said, I can't imagine Ft. Collins will be great either. At least we typically don't have mold issues here in Chandler. I would think you'd have mold AND grasses, trees, etc. to deal with in CO.

If I were you, I'd Google allergy ratings, or something similar, to see if there's a group that ranks cities based on allergens. Aside from that, I'd consider what kind of life experience you're looking for, and definitely visit both areas before you decide.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:38 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,728 times
It's been almost 20 years since I lived in Denver but Fort Collins then was kind of a small cow-town, university town. That's a lot different than Chandler, which is SUBURBIA.

Does high altitude affect your husband? The air is THIN there.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
A small percentage of people in the desert in southern Arizona are susceptible to Valley Fever which is a mold/fungus. It lives in the top layer of the Sonoran soil and is kicked up into the air by strong gusty storms, particularly our increasingly frequent dust storms.

It's a fungus which takes up residence in your lungs and causes a range of usual respiratory problems which is why it's often misdiagnosed. Untreated for a long time it's a very bad condition.

If your husband has issues with fungus/mold I think you should take Valley Fever into consideration.

Not to mention air quality in the Phoenix metro is bad and getting worse. Chandler is by the Gila River reservation where topsoil erosion is rampant and dusty air is a nuisance for everyone.

Ft. Collins is far enough from Denver that it's air is probably pretty good, but it's small and cold. Heard it's a great town though. A lot of outdoors type stuff, some college town culture, microbrews, etc.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 20,131 times
@panderosa,we ve a simple life style so college town or suburbia both r ok for us.

Thank u guys sooo much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City