Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Connecticut vs New Jersey
Connecticut 19 41.30%
New Jersey 27 58.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 86,974 times

Advertisements

Specifically SW Connecticut and Northern NJ.

Which is the overall greater place when it comes to amenities, lifestyle, neighborhoods, scenery..that is, the superior suburb of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 AM

115 posts, read 149,430 times
Connecticut is much more beautiful than NJ.

Connecticut.

Last edited by drizzyy; 10-17-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
NJ's location and amenities FTW.
I'm often traveling to CT- I'm in CT more than 5 times a year, I love that state, though I don't think SWCT offers more than NNJ.

CT is on the LI Sound, it has beaches
NNJ is along the Hudson River, it has access to Manhattan

SW CT is really beautiful, and less congested for the most part- NNJ has a lot of that Manhattan flow in the immidiate NYC area, but it can be just as beautiful the farher you go out.

I think it's better to just compare overall states- NNJ is much bigger than SWCT.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
I think CT has nice areas (and doesn't have as many bad areas as NJ), but I think NJ's nicer areas are far more abundant.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:08 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I think CT has nice areas (and doesn't have as many bad areas as NJ)
Are you sure about that?

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

327 posts, read 1,050,835 times
In a way they are both kind of simliar except NJ being on a larger scale. Think about it, both have very urbanized areas clustered on there waterfronts, both have high class suburbs and both have really bad areas (CT, Bridgeport). NJ is larger and has a much higher population so the list of bad vs goods are going to be a bit more extended, but due to that point I would go with NJ because of the excess of options.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,405 times
NJ has urbanity over a significantly larger area, is significantly more diverse, has significantly better public transit, and has much better access to NY and Philly than CT has to NY and Boston.

NJ, hands down.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

70 posts, read 86,974 times
OK, I'm new to the area and drove from Manhattan to Greenwich and Manhattan to New Brunswick (twice).

Crossing into Connecticut from NYC looked gorgeous..crossing into New Jersey from the Holland Tunnel, crossing in through the Verrazano and onto the Turnpike, going through the Lincoln Tunnel en route to EWR...NJ looked so....gritty and industrial. Every direction I enter NJ from looks the same (well, crossing over through the GWB looked better).

Connecticut and NJ look completely different by first impressions.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
OK, I'm new to the area and drove from Manhattan to Greenwich and Manhattan to New Brunswick (twice).

Crossing into Connecticut from NYC looked gorgeous..crossing into New Jersey from the Holland Tunnel, crossing in through the Verrazano and onto the Turnpike, going through the Lincoln Tunnel en route to EWR...NJ looked so....gritty and industrial. Every direction I enter NJ from looks the same (well, crossing over through the GWB looked better).

Connecticut and NJ look completely different by first impressions.
I'm assuming you took th merrit pkwy into CT- that's comparable to the Palisades pkwy in NJ. Both are beautiful routes. Obviously you didn't go into jersey via the GWBridge- it's nothing like you described.

If you drove to CT through 95, your impression of jersey would be no different from CT.

NJ is infamous for it's highway density around nwk/Ebeth/jc- it's an industrial Mecca along th highways around there.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:43 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Ya know Connecticut isn't exactly the cat's meow. That stretch of I-95 between New Haven and NY must exist in hell. Yes sure there are some of America's most acclaimed suburbs such as Darien, Westport, and Greenwich and cool edge cities like Stamford but there are also very gritty industrial cities such as Bridgeport that could match Jersey's industrial image. In Jersey suburbs like Alpine and Franklin Lakes rank as highly as many SW Conn. suburbs and edge cities like Hoboken and Jersey City have great urban ammenities with better access to NYC. Long Island Sound beaches leave something to be desired and I'd say the Jersey Shore is much more of a destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City