Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM

2,546 posts, read 3,279,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Where do you draw the line though?
I personally wouldn't consider any city where there is conspicuous poverty and neglect to be "world class". That would knock out for me most cities in the third world and many in the second. Others may draw the line elsewhere and that's fine. But if we are comparing cities in the affluent world, extra GDP does not make a place any more world class. That doesn't mean that if a city is a major global economic powerhouse or financial center that should be completely irrelevant. But as Bajan said it is just a factor -- one of many. If a city is defficient in most other categories then it cannot be considered world class. Frankfurt is a good example. It is Europe's premier financial center and transportation hub, and one of its wealthiest cities. But I have never seen anyone suggest that it is a world class city. Even in Germany it usually lags in popularity behind Berlin, Munich, Hamburg and Cologne. Spain is one of Europe's economic laggards (especially in the last few years) but probably has the best cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
There's no way on earth street vibrancy is a stronger category than economy when rating which cities are world class.
Street vibrancy cannot be viewed in isolation. Street vibrancy usually goes hand in hand with good urban design, density, attractive architecture, good PT and a lot of attractions in close proximity to each other. And all those things taken together absolutely are much more important than economy. Unless you think Houston is more world class than Barcelona. Do you?

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 11-08-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 07:38 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,614,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When you are from a world class city, or have experienced better, Buckhead and the projects you mention is not at all unique or impressive. All the stores in these new projects in Atlanta are stores other cities have had forever.

Atlanta may be adding more stuff, but its not pioneering anything.
The thread title is "Which cities are maturing into World Class?" I mention those projects (Buckhead Atlanta, especially) because they're bringing to Atlanta what world class cities already have, which is a sign that Atlanta is maturing. Maturing doesn't necessarily require pioneering anything.

And although it may not be completely groundbreaking, Ponce City Market is pretty unique. How many other 2.1 million sq. ft. 1920's era buildings are being totally rehabbed right now? Only a few other cities in the country have anything comparable.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 AM

@ BajanYankee --

Actually I am not sure I understand what RCL is arguing. Is he saying that GDP per capita (or total metropolitan GDP) should trump all other things that make cities great (which would be incredibly dumb) or that a city's preeminence in the global business activity, or certain globally significant sectors, can compensate somewhat for other deficiencies? I have more sympathy for the latter but there is no one size fits all.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,714,070 times
I thought this thread was for cities that are becoming world class. You guys just wasted 10 pages talking about cities that are clearly already world class.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:05 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,338,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Well, I'd argue perception is a large component of a city being "world class". And if this forum is any indication, I'd say that Chicago and DC are not on the same level. I imagine most people would agree. Again, it's not anyone saying DC is "bad" or not a top American city, it just doesn't come into most peoples minds when they think "world class American cities". It is what it is.
What does Chicago have that DC doesn't? Besides a skyline that DC cant do anything about because height restrictions.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
What does Chicago have that DC doesn't? Besides a skyline that DC cant do anything about because height restrictions.
What does Chicago have that Cleveland doesn't have? For that matter, what does NYC have that Cleveland doesn't have -- if we are talking about basic, commonly used urban amenities?

In most CvC polls between Chicago and DC that I have seen on here, Chicago trounces DC without much of a debate (except from hardcore DC homers). There's gotta be some good reasons for that.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,338,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
What does Chicago have that Cleveland doesn't have? For that matter, what does NYC have that Cleveland doesn't have -- if we are talking about basic, commonly used urban amenities?
Did I ever say anything about basic commonly used amentities? No. Want to put more words into my mouth?

Too bad I don't live in DC, so I'm not a homer. Just curious, don't see why you're so defensive. Also Chicago doesn't trump DC. Exaggeration much? Even bajanyankee said the gap isn't big and is closing fastly. Also, Really? Comparing DC to Cleveland...really? Not on the same level AT ALL

And most CvC? No, not at all. Either Chicago and DC match up or DC comes infront because of the metro. Speak for yourself.... I'll gladly link you the the forums I'm talking about. Since you can speak for all of city data right?

Last edited by Deluusions; 11-08-2014 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-08-2014, 10:59 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,228,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
To tier North American cities in categories of world class.

New York

Los Angeles

Mexico City

Chicago, San Francisco, Montreal

Washington DC and Toronto

These are the only cities I would say are world class in North America. World + Class together to me means a bit different than just "best among the best in America."
Agreed. Except I would switch Toronto's place with Montreal's.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:04 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,649,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

In most CvC polls between Chicago and DC that I have seen on here, Chicago trounces DC without much of a debate (except from hardcore DC homers). There's gotta be some good reasons for that.
But there isn't imo. I feel like Chicago gets the upper hand solely based on it's size. DC really doesn't get enough credit on here, while I feel Chicago gets it's due.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,902,897 times
Where do you draw a line for cities that have excessive crime? That is absolutely not a world class attribute. You can look at all cities around the world that are a shoe-in to be considered world class and their murder rates are well below 5 people per 100,000 (that would be considered "very high crime" in almost ALL of them). Somewhere like Chicago is triple that, not even a single digit homicide rate, it's double digits.

I'm sure there is the argument that we can let Chicago slide because it's Chicago but it better have a lot of great things to offer people from around the world that cities that aren't "considered" world class in the United States cant. There has to be a reason people come to North America to visit Chicago, worldwide scaled amenities.

Does Chicago really fit the bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City