Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me. My point was that this video was posted on a real estate site, claiming to show what makes Atlanta so awesome and why no one should live anyplace else. This is not a good marketing ploy from a real estate perspective, as what is shown in the video is for the most part unappealing.

If I'm considering a move to Atlanta I'm into diverse arts and culture and a hip environment and I went to this real estate site to see a video on the city to get an idea of what I'd be moving to, I would be completely turned off.

I'm not saying that the video needed to be of chamber of commerce quality, but this video and the article that accompanies it is suggesting that Atlanta is a place I should want to live, forsaking all other cities. There is nothing in this video that is at all appealing to me. As I said, what is shown makes Atlanta look po' dunk and country.

To be honest though, that video was pretty accurate for Atlanta. I don't really understand who the audience was, but they didn't lie trying to show a bustling city when Atlanta is anything but bustling. It showed local places to eat and hangout and showed people working in local businesses. That is a good thing. You will get exactly what you see so people will know where they are moving. I agree with BajanYankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:58 AM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
So what? There's no way to make possibly make a video that appeals to everyone. If the point of the video was to highlight different aspects of Atlanta--which I think it was--then there was no way 80% of the people in the video could be young, white professionals because that's not the makeup of the city.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Is the Brooklyn video any better? There are no Hasidic Jews in it so it's already an inaccurate portrayal.

Brooklyn - City Passion presented by Boost Mobile - YouTube

Old 11-13-2014, 10:01 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So what? There's no way to make possibly make a video that appeals to everyone. If the point of the video was to highlight different aspects of Atlanta--which I think it was--then there was no way 80% of the people in the video could be young, white professionals because that's not the makeup of the city.
My whole point is that the video DID NOT highlight the different aspects of the city. It only highlighted strip clubs, rap and church when there are other things that should've been included.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Atlanta is the only city in America that almost everyone seems to love. Yes it is becoming a world city class but it has a lot of drawbacks as well, the traffic alone is so bad I went to a job interview in Atlanta and turned down the job because of the traffic. I was going to move to Atlanta but I got a job in Nashville instead. I love Atlanta, its a great city to visit but its becoming like the NYC of the South, too many problems now.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
My whole point is that the video DID NOT highlight the different aspects of the city. It only highlighted strip clubs, rap and church when there are other things that should've been included.
Only it didn't. I listed every single thing featured in the video. The strip club, the music studio and the church were only 3 of those 28 things. Since the video was supposed to be "hip," the videographers were not going to go out of their way to show the symphony, art galleries, and white collar workers walking to a MARTA station.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Atlanta is the only city in America that almost everyone seems to love.
I have not ever met anyone who "loved" Atlanta. Most people are indifferent or somewhat negative, IMO.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 AM

560 posts, read 666,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I have not ever met anyone who "loved" Atlanta. Most people are indifferent or somewhat negative, IMO.
On city-data, yes.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM

202 posts, read 231,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
And you think SD is maturing faster than ATL?
Unfortunately, Atlanta crime is killing off it's young, so the city will never mature.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:02 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Atlanta is the only city in America that almost everyone seems to love. Yes it is becoming a world city class but it has a lot of drawbacks as well, the traffic alone is so bad I went to a job interview in Atlanta and turned down the job because of the traffic. I was going to move to Atlanta but I got a job in Nashville instead. I love Atlanta, its a great city to visit but its becoming like the NYC of the South, too many problems now.
A lot of people hate Atlanta. I don't know where you've come up with that assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City