Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:08 PM

923 posts, read 664,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta's not at world-class status yet but it's still a relatively young city that has managed to accomplish a great deal within the last 50 years or so, including surpassing several other cities that had a head start on it in overall importance. That's nothing at all to be ashamed of.
I get why some people might agree with you but not for the reasons some have listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
I get why some people might agree with you but not for the reasons some have listed.
I do disagree that a "sprawly" metro can't be world-class as Los Angeles disproves that notion. Sure it's a dense type of sprawl mostly due to constraining geographic factors but most of the issues caused by a ton of sprawl are present in Greater LA, and yet it's certainly a world class region. Miami has some highly visible world-class qualities yet it's in the same bucket as LA with respect to sprawl. I do understand the point about having a highly developed, walkable urban core but that has the capacity to exist in the midst of an otherwise sprawling area, even if it doesn't quite resemble the urban form of the major prewar cities. We just have to give the new kids on the block like Atlanta more time to make it happen as the city hit its growth spurt during a time when we neglected our urban cores big time as a nation and have only recently begun to correct our course.

But I do agree that Atlanta hasn't yet established itself over time as being among a very small handful of elite cities (four to five cities at most) in at least a few of the broad categories that are usually associated with determining if a city has reached world class status which roughly appear to be overall economy (or a very impactful subset of the economy), architecture/built environment, history, and culture--and note that I said broad categories as opposed to a singular, specific, well-known entity that falls under any of those categories as that dilutes things to a large degree IMO.

For overall economy, New York is the only city in the country that meets the standard as I've laid it out; for an impactful subset of the economy, I think a solid argument could be made for the film/TV industry. Although Atlanta's status as a center for film production is a more recent phenomenon, Turner Broadcasting System, CNN, etc have been around for some time now. Obviously Atlanta doesn't make the cut globally for architecture/built environment or history. I understand that culture can be the very definition of a broad category but for the sake of discussion, I'll break it out into two subcategories: high culture (e.g., visual and performing arts) and local culture (which can be the result of being a highly diverse city over time, having a well-known unique local culture a la New Orleans, etc). I think Atlanta is sufficient on the national stage in both subcategories but not as much on a world stage.

And that's my two cents on the matter. Atlanta has what it takes to truly be a contender for world-class status in enough areas, but again it's a young major urban center and as it matures, I think its growth and evolution in those areas will be quite evident.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-25-2018 at 01:12 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 10:03 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Quote:
If thats all you heard then its you who isnt trying to hear but what you wish to hear.Ive said several times what exactly which attributes I feel set it in that world class distinction.

It seems you pick only the things you value and ignore other attributes.
Education-Boston,NYC,DC,LA,Chicago Atlanta are all ranked as top cities in the WORLD for number of ranked universities in the top 200.Almost all if not all the cities listed are cities most people count as world class,Like London,Paris,Melbourne,etc,This by a European survey.
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...versity-cities

Toronto doesnt lead in almost any list except livability but its still world class.
Mexico City is world class but it also doesnt "lead" in anything.

It just seems your goal post keeps moving to fit your criteria
Again, you set the bar really, really low. You're saying that being one of SIX US cities to be on one list (one that compares apples and oranges and is really only one opinion) is a key point for being world class.

Even if I trusted lists like that, I'd be more interested in the top 10 or so. Having two on the top 10 of a typical list is a key reason Boston MIGHT be world class, along being the #2 or #3 US tech leader, urbanity, and so on.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:17 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Again, you set the bar really, really low. You're saying that being one of SIX US cities to be on one list (one that compares apples and oranges and is really only one opinion) is a key point for being world class.

Even if I trusted lists like that, I'd be more interested in the top 10 or so. Having two on the top 10 of a typical list is a key reason Boston MIGHT be world class, along being the #2 or #3 US tech leader, urbanity, and so on.
One area we probably would agree on is that only NYC, DC, Chicago, LA, and SF should really be in the conversation. Boston is next in line after that, but then it gets murky. You have a bunch of cities that have world class characteristics but wouldnt be considered world class.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can see that, mostly due to Houston's diversity and performing and visual arts scenes. Investing more in the arts would certainly help Atlanta get closer to world class status and that's probably the element related to world class status that any city could directly change.
Houston's culinary scene is also very close to being world class as well. Its definitely one of the great eating cities in the US. Dallas and Atlanta are great food cities too, but Houston is just hard to compete with in this area IMO. The only cities I can say are definitively better culinary cities across the board nationwide are NYC, Chicago, SF, and LA. Some cities are better in specific areas, but Im think across all culinary categories.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:06 AM

923 posts, read 664,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

No.My point is you and some others accept international cities with far less amenities as world class but when it comes to American cities,you are extremely critical.Especially cities like Atlanta.You accept things like as urbanity as being more important than amenities Atlanta does have over many cities.
The U.S. is the U.S. it will have many cities that can compare on the world stage.Urbanity in the U.S will overall be more lacking than most countries.
Thats the problem with your statements as they have a narrow focus when you say "in the US",being in a group of 10-20 is nothing.Yet when you then compare other cities outside the U.S.,your goal post moves and it sounds like mainly its due to urbanity overall else.

I can easily say Atlanta is not in any league than the cities most people agree are world class or close enough,but when you make excuses for cities that DO NOT have some attributes of Atlanta or other cities like Atlanta,then yes I disagree.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:

I can easily say Atlanta is not in any league than the cities most people agree are world class or close enough,but when you make excuses for cities that DO NOT have some attributes of Atlanta or other cities like Atlanta,then yes I disagree.
And this is a good point.

People on this site get so caught up in walkability and urbanity, that they cannot seem to see that the term "world class" isnt solely dependent on those things. There are many things (like a cities culinary or arts scene) that contribute to how world class a city is but are not dependent on walkability or urbanity.

For example Portland is much more walkable than Atlanta, however youll never convince me its more world class than Atlanta. Atlanta simply offers so much more. Yet if you ask your average CD person which is more world class, theyd be inclined to say Portland.

Thats the problem with terms that are subjective like "world class". I typically try to stick to data based issues for that reason.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:30 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston's culinary scene is also very close to being world class as well. Its definitely one of the great eating cities in the US. Dallas and Atlanta are great food cities too, but Houston is just hard to compete with in this area IMO. The only cities I can say are definitively better culinary cities across the board nationwide are NYC, Chicago, SF, and LA. Some cities are better in specific areas, but Im think across all culinary categories.

New Orleans is above Houston wrt dining and I would suspect Philly and DC are at least on par.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,510,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
New Orleans is above Houston wrt dining and I would suspect Philly and DC are at least on par.
New Orleans has better unique food. The variety I'd give to Houston. Also yeah, DC and Philly are on par. I'd put Houston slightly above DC from my experience.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Only in regional cuisine is NOLA ahead. Thats why I said across the board.

I also said:

"The only cities I can say are DEFINITIVELY better culinary cities across the board nationwide are NYC, Chicago, SF, and LA." Philly and DC can be up for discussion but they are not definitively better. Even then Id place Houston similar to Philly but ahead of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City