Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:15 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times

Advertisements

Yes, they focus on narrow indicators of "advanced producer services" in law, finance, accounting, and advertising, using the presence of certain global companies. It's about business centers and "global connectivity."

What that says about "world class" cities is beyond me, unless you mean world class business centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:13 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
We talk about how bad GaWC is but so what if its connected around London?London and NYC are the world top business and cultural centers.There aren't many places that are not connected to London so why does it have to be such a bad way to judge?
It has a bias towards the Commonwealth and the US which overall just have strong ties to the U.K. But within those countries it's pretty accurate just don't use it to compare Istanbul vs Atlanta.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Lol at the results. Massive suburban sprawl, surrounding a tiny, non urban city is now world class?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lol at the results. Massive suburban sprawl, surrounding a tiny, non urban city is now world class?
Atlanta is hardly a "tiny" city. It's just not built in the traditional compact, dense sense that other large cities follow.

What exactly is it lacking that "world class" cities have?

I've been pretty vocal about my dislikes of how Atlanta handles some of its development, but I'll be quick to acknowledge what it does have, and it's certainly not lacking in world class amenities and economic power that other cities have.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:40 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
None of the above mentioned cities are or will be world class. The only world class cities are currently NYC, LA, and Detroit. Potentials are Chicago if it would address crime(so never really), and SF or Seattle perhaps because of the tech industry and if their economies would grow substantially larger.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
None of the above mentioned cities are or will be world class. The only world class cities are currently NYC, LA, and Detroit. Potentials are Chicago if it would address crime(so never really), and SF or Seattle perhaps because of the tech industry and if their economies would grow substantially larger.
You're being facetious right??

Also a larger economy does not automatically equate to world class.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Atlanta is hardly a "tiny" city. It's just not built in the traditional compact, dense sense that other large cities follow.

What exactly is it lacking that "world class" cities have?

I've been pretty vocal about my dislikes of how Atlanta handles some of its development, but I'll be quick to acknowledge what it does have, and it's certainly not lacking in world class amenities and economic power that other cities have.
I would say architecture, history, density/ walkability, public transit, culinary offerings and cultural offerings.

Not to say Atlanta does not offer that, but its not historic or groundbreaking in any way, you need a car to live there, the public transit is meh, and compared to other "worldly" cities in the US and abroad it does lack in cultural institutions and culinary offerings and diversity in its cuisine.

That being said, I think Atlanta is a cool city, and out of that bunch it has the most potential, but I don't see how it should be considered a world class city. It is more of a regional capital.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say architecture, history, density/ walkability, public transit, culinary offerings and cultural offerings.

Not to say Atlanta does not offer that, but its not historic or groundbreaking in any way, you need a car to live there, the public transit is meh, and compared to other "worldly" cities in the US and abroad it does lack in cultural institutions and culinary offerings and diversity in its cuisine.

That being said, I think Atlanta is a cool city, and out of that bunch it has the most potential, but I don't see how it should be considered a world class city. It is more of a regional capital.
I can't think of a foreign city other than maybe London or Toronto that's more diverse than Atlanta

Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
laughing at you.How silly you look trying to be relevant in this thread.hahaha

Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
??LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City