Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities are becoming World Class?(choose more than one)
Denver 60 13.07%
San Diego 47 10.24%
New Orleans 14 3.05%
Kansas City 8 1.74%
Phoenix 19 4.14%
San Antonio 22 4.79%
St Louis 7 1.53%
Orlando 12 2.61%
Atlanta 263 57.30%
Salt Lake City 7 1.53%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So let me get this right: Detroit is only one of three world-class cities in the country (along with NYC and LA), Chicago could become world-class "if it would address crime" although it has a violent crime rate lower than Detroit's, and the only thing preventing SF and Seattle from becoming world-class are the sizes of their economies--which are already a good bit larger than Detroit's.
I wouldn't even call LA world class if it weren't for the movie industry there. The city itself is boring and nothing special. Chicago may have slightly lower crimes rate than Detroit but has no other strong features that make it world class like Detroit has its architecture or its leading position in automotive. The same applies to SF and Seattle, they lack in architecture, are full of homeless people, and are not that special in any sense, economically or otherwise.

What American cities generally lack is the vibe that NYC has. NYC is a class in its own in the US. Cities like Prague, Budapest or Amsterdam have this something special (architecture, history, vibe, desirability) as well despite their relatively small economies. I would call those cities world class as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "semantics" jab doesn't really work in this context as having an agenda is very much a real thing on this forum and when you use that word, it actually and truly means something. I wasn't saying that you were accusing me of having one but I just wanted to let the record reflect that I most certainly don't. And honestly I don't think that's true of the posters that have been the most engaged on this topic whose perspective concerning Atlanta's qualifications for world-class status are similar to mine. Otherwise, I would have definitely pointed it out.

I gotcha. The most I can say at this point is that I believe Atlanta to be one tier below the likes of Boston and Philly.
A tier below in historical importance only? If so, sure.

Not sure about overall.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wouldn't even call LA world class if it weren't for the movie industry there. The city itself is boring and nothing special. Chicago may have slightly lower crimes rate than Detroit but has no other strong features that make it world class like Detroit has its architecture or its leading position in automotive. The same applies to SF and Seattle, they lack in architecture, are full of homeless people, and are not that special in any sense, economically or otherwise.

What American cities generally lack is the vibe that NYC has. NYC is a class in its own in the US. Cities like Prague, Budapest or Amsterdam have this something special (architecture, history, vibe, desirability) as well despite their relatively small economies. I would call those cities world class as well.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:59 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Sprawl is still part of a city. What makes a city important is economices, trade, people, and culture, not public transport or density.
Atlanta has virtually none of those things. It's a US regional city. No one cares about Atlanta globally. There is no culture, its economy is nothing special and its population doesn't stand out. Public transport has everything to do with being world class. Atlanta has horrible transit. I guess it's highways are big.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:13 PM

923 posts, read 664,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

Paris has been said to be both beautiful and very dirty despite its architecture.Yet 86% of its citizens say there is bad homeless problem.Same with Dublin,Brussels,Budapest,Athens and many of so called world class cities.
How a city with high crime cant be world class but a city with high poverty can just because it has history?
Sorry but your post makes no sense in any regard.

https://www.businessinsider.com/euro...on-portugal-17

Old 08-15-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Atlanta has virtually none of those things. It's a US regional city. No one cares about Atlanta globally. There is no culture, its economy is nothing special and its population doesn't stand out. Public transport has everything to do with being world class. Atlanta has horrible transit. I guess it's highways are big.
So you disregard African Americans as having no culture since most people do recognize Atlanta for that just as culturally LA ia known for its Hispanic culture? How many songs on the radio worldwide mention Atlanta in them?Hmmmmm
If by "no one" you mean you then fine but YOU are hardly the authority.
So what about roads?Many cities that some might suggest are world class have terrible roads as well as other infrastructure issues.Atlanta was ranked in the top 50 world wide for best infrastructure.
Atlanta does not have horrible public transit,its just not provide enough coverage as it should.Even LA has bad public transportation for the size of its city.
Some people consider Miami world class yet it lacks a decent subway also.

Last edited by Be Proud; 08-15-2018 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
LOL. Thread is getting good.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 PM

By the way, here is a bar in Copenhagen. I guess some people know who we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
By the way, here is a bar in Copenhagen. I guess some people know who we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Here is a list of the "Most mentioned cities" in song lyrics.
https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...ties-in-music/

Old 08-15-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
So you disregard African Americans as having no culture since most people do recognize Atlanta for that just as culturally LA ia known for its Hispanic culture? How many songs on the radio worldwide mention Atlanta in them?Hmmmmm
If by "no one" you mean you then fine but YOU are hardly the authority.
So what about roads?Many cities that some might suggest are world class have terrible roads as well as other infrastructure issues.Atlanta was ranked in the top 50 world wide for best infrastructure.
Atlanta does not have horrible public transit,its just not provide enough coverage as it should.Even LA has bad public transportation for the size of its city.
Some people consider Miami world class yet it lacks a decent subway also.
Whenever I hear someone say Atlanta has "no culture" I assume they're low-key racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City