Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The most bashed cities are (from the ones listed on this poll)?
Atlanta 76 37.25%
Philadelphia 25 12.25%
New York City 21 10.29%
San Diego 3 1.47%
San Francisco 9 4.41%
Orlando 31 15.20%
Miami 29 14.22%
Atlantic City 11 5.39%
Las Vegas 17 8.33%
El Paso 12 5.88%
Oakland 27 13.24%
Pittsburgh 12 5.88%
Cleveland 41 20.10%
Detroit 109 53.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've noticed this too ( referring to Detroit's neighborhoods of spacious homes with lawns)...

These abandoned neighborhoods would actually look very nice if a little work was done to them; they are a far cry from similar areas in such cities as Philly and Baltimore, which look squalid even when fully occupied..
I'm adding this to the list of most ignorant things I've heard today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What bothers me is that perception often becomes reality! What I mean is that after those riots in 1967, coupled that with the negative nickname of "Murder City" after Detroit recorded over 700 homicides in the calendar year of either 1973 or 1974, people pretty much written off Detroit, there was even a blaxploitation movie called Detroit 9000 that played to the stereotype of that infamous "Murder City" moniker! I remember that there was a shooting in which a woman was killed during "Super Bowl Week," and the media tried their best to say this was expected to happen in Detroit! If Detroit can ever shake those negative perceptions that many in the media have placed on that city, I know it will be alright! I believe there is plenty of opportunity to rebuild and invest in that city if people would take a chance on it! It just seems that city is rich in history and that it has a unique soul to it! I wish much success to Detroit and to those who believe in restoring it back to its glory! Also to DetroitLove, keep up the good fight, I'm with you all the way!
thank you!

the ironic thing about the incident during superbowl was the guy who committed the crime was from New Jersey! He basically did it in Detroit because he figured some Detroit gang would be blamed for it smh. Boy was he wrong when they caught his butt before he could get to Metro Airport

Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've noticed this too ( referring to Detroit's neighborhoods of spacious homes with lawns)...

These abandoned neighborhoods would actually look very nice if a little work was done to them; they are a far cry from similar areas in such cities as Philly and Baltimore, which look squalid even when fully occupied..
Thank you! agreed (not the Philly, Baltimore thing though lol)

I'm tired of the images of urban prarie being used as the ONLY representative of neighborhoods in the city. People don't know we have WORKING class neighborhoods like these

Old 03-02-2011, 06:16 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,642,678 times
Detroitlove, don't let the bashing get to you. You know that a city is great when it's still top ten despite falling from its previous spot . The city will bounce back (I basically agree with post #84).

Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,949 times
I went with the four worst cities on your list. SF, Oakland, Vegas, and Orlando.

Say what you want to about Detroit, at least is has some great old architecture.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
The layout of Detroit is perfect. I just hope nobody starts building those cookie cutter "mc masions" on the abandoned land.

mas23

Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
The layout of Detroit is perfect. I just hope nobody starts building those cookie cutter "mc masions" on the abandoned land.

mas23
too late

These aren't that bad but I just hope they don't build anymore. So far majority of newer homes look similar to the older ones. Some have the same architecture like in Corktown neighborhood.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
Detroitlove, don't let the bashing get to you. You know that a city is great when it's still top ten despite falling from its previous spot . The city will bounce back (I basically agree with post #84).
thank you and I try

Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
too late

These aren't that bad but I just hope they don't build anymore. So far majority of newer homes look similar to the older ones. Some have the same architecture like in Corktown neighborhood.
I absolutely hate when old historic homes are demolished for cookie cutters

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I absolutely hate when old historic homes are demolished for cookie cutters
Yea I do too. Thankfully though there weren't any homes in this area. It was originally an industrial area along the river that was leveled years ago. So while I don't neccessarily hate or like these homes lol its good to see some development in this area. Atleast the morgan waterfront estates (picture in the post) homes have a little difference in them as opposed to these

http://photo.ewebengine.com/pictures/mirc/mls/62/210051362_0h.jpg (broken link)

This is Jefferson Village, a neighborhood just west of the Morgan Waterfront Estates. All of the homes basically look exactly the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City