Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Ugh...
Your post doesn't even mention NYC
How is this a vs thread?

And geez. Another chicago vs nyc
No, its another CD (with the help of rebel12) takes a crap on Chicago thread.

Last edited by git45; 07-18-2012 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
funny...
Maybe for a second, but more sad as this is the act of a desperate man...

Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,516,938 times
Quote:
funny...
...ban

Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,795,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^^ New York just priced out it's crime problem. Crime spread to the suburbs and other cities.
I just wonder, how do you price out crime? How do you do that? How does the government raise the prices across the city? I dont think you can do it. You can only raise prices of housing when you have people willing to pay more and the only way to do it is by lowering crime, improving infrastructure and providing jobs.
New York did all of that, first of all, under Gulianni it declared war on crime in NYC, second it cleaned up critical areas like Times Square to bring more tourists (more tourists equals more jobs in hospitality).
New York City change its attitude towards the residents, put value on bringing in and retaining productive part of the society. The rest is history.
"New York just priced out it's crime problem" - sounds so simple but in fact is just simplistic as it does not reflect the multitude of actions that must be taken in order to revitalize the entire city.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:00 AM

93 posts, read 158,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Chicago will never be New York. The sooner it accepts that, the sooner it will see improvements.
That's exactly what I like some much about LA
Never wanted to or wants to be like New York, LA is one of the few large american cities that has never looked up
to New York as a role model, you have to let New York be New York. LA is its own animal, defined by no other city.

Chicago is a great city and in many ways it is a true american city
more so than NY or LA, it represents the US heartland, that's where Chicago strength is.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
I've never heard that Chicago wants to be NY, either. It's just NYers assuming it does.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've never heard that Chicago wants to be NY, either. It's just NYers assuming it does.

Most New Yorkers can't assume anything since they never been to Chicago: there is no good reason for any New Yorker to go to Chicago, its not like Chicago is some tourist or cultural attraction on the scale of New York.

Since unlike most people I have been to Chicago I can attest that Chicago since the 90's really tried to become another New York: Millenium Park, the Bean i.e. big, developed parks and promenades and art in public spaces is more typical for New York than Chicago, i.e. are present in New York since Central Park and Statue of Liberty have been put in place.

Of course Chicagoans will never admit that but Chicago has been trying to outdo New York for a long time.
Even this forum can be a proof when people claim Chicago culture, arts or entertainment are on par with New York's.

Unfortunately for Chicago, New York is a still growing and very successful while Chicago is not...
New York is generally considered one of the top three cultural experiences of the Western World while Chicago is not.

When New Yorkers think about competition they usually think about London not Chicago

Last edited by rebel12; 07-20-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeridianX View Post
Chicago is a great city and in many ways it is a true american city
more so than NY or LA, it represents the US heartland, that's where Chicago strength is.
Since neither LA nor NYC is in the heartland how could these cities represent it?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:

Since unlike most people I have been to Chicago I can attest that Chicago since the 90's really tried to become another New York: Millenium Park, the Bean i.e. big, developed parks and promenades and art in public spaces is more typical for New York than Chicago, i.e. are present in New York since Central Park and Statue of Liberty have been put in place.
Really? Millennium Park feels nothing like anything in New York, and it's very well done in its own way. I like New York better than Chicago but this is silly. I doubt Chicago was consciously thinking deeply about mimicking New York when it built New York, it was just trying to improve the attractiveness of the city center.

It worked well. My mother works in Midtown Manhattan and thought highly of it. "I had something like that near me I would go to it in my lunch hour". Also, Boston Common and Millennium Park are an interesting contrast of old and new city center park; two areas feel like complete opposite.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
"New York just priced out it's crime problem" - sounds so simple but in fact is just simplistic as it does not reflect the multitude of actions that must be taken in order to revitalize the entire city.
Did NYC really price out crime? Still a lot of poverty there.

Compare with Chicago:

New York City: 20.1%
Chicago: 21.6%

And considering New York City has higher housing costs, being poor there is more painful. And New York City contains the poorest congressional district in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City