Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
In population? No I don't think it ever will, and neither will anything else (in my opinion), but I think we should leave that argument out it gets ugly.

But in terms of GDP and economy, its very well likely. Houston's GDP growth rate in 3 year period is 24.7%, in the same time Chicago's is 11.9%. Houston's GDP is 407 Billion & Chicago's is 520 Billion. In fact in the last one year only two major metros where the GDP actually grew were Houston & DFW, everyone else saw a decline by a little bit.

I'm not saying anything but it is what it is. I'm not looking to argue, but this motion that "I don't see it" has to go. Its literally right there on Chicago's neck, and its not Houston thats the problem. Its those scum bag retards Chicago calls politicians that have caused the city to stagnate and lose its edge.
All I'm saying is that if Chicago wants to do something about it, they better get on the ball and do it NOW. They just got surpassed by Washington DC-Baltimore, and are poised to get passed up by the Bay Area in the coming years. Its none of those cities faults, this one is solely on Chicago, it needs to get competitive and drive itself and stop with the stagnation (economically).
Wow, i didnt know it was that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
That is a negative. Chicagoland has become healthier as of this month and is showing signs of becoming a "Post Recession" city again. California and its cities are still far away from that.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Thanks for the offer, but Chicago can hold its own, and it can do one hell of a great job. You should start worrying about Los Angeles though for a major metropolitan area its starting to look very disturbing and its not getting any better or making any progress swiftly enough.

Negative. Houston isn't a direct competitor yet (its still a good decade away from being a direct threat to Chicago with current trends), its only beaten Chicago upon one metric.
By the next decade though it will get fierce but right now Chicago's competition lies within Washington DC & Bay Area. Chicago (in my opinion) has outpaced and overcome Los Angeles more than enough and Bay Area & Washington DC will do the same as well. Whereas Houston's competition lies with Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, & Boston. (All of which except Atlanta & Miami are healthy and progressing forward)
Like I said, having the 2nd largest population, the 2nd largest GDP (which correlates to having a larger population by the way), and having a larger film industry doe snot make you more important or powerful.
No I didn't mean it like Houston is on that level yet. Houston/Dallas are taking jobs and company headquarters however that might classically end up in Chicago.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,447 times
Chicago will never be New York. The sooner it accepts that, the sooner it will see improvements.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Chicago will never be New York. The sooner it accepts that, the sooner it will see improvements.
I definitely agree, instead of spending stupid money on parking meters, the bean, the tallest building, etc should have been working on public schools/crime...

should focus on its water access/trans hub/lower col... but smart people aren't going to move there if crime is high and schools suck no matter how much they try to put lipstick on it.

too many political cronies in Chicago are more interested in fame and keeping the status quo than helping out folks.

Chicago still has a lot going on for it but it needs to re emphasize that and differentiate it from New York.

Actually in crime aspect Chicago probably should look towards New York.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
^^^ New York just priced out it's crime problem. Crime spread to the suburbs and other cities.

Chicago's problem is its political corruptness. From the police to the politicians. If people banded together, and fought against corruption, Chicago would be a much better city than NYC IMO. It's got a lot of room to grow and the lakefront is unique and rejuvinating.

Both cities are interesting cities with unique histories. You'd be lucky to live in either but IMO what Chicago lacks in awe and sure numbers like NY, it makes up for in people. It's a much less materialistic, fashion obsessed, who's who type of city and more down to earth with a slower pace (depending on location) than NYC.

On a $75,000 a year salary I'd pick Chicago.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:21 AM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
I don't think Chicago is trying to be New York, but I will admit that some of the things this city does are mainly for show. Making touristy parts of the city look nice makes you forget about the crime, but if you go south on the Dan Ryan, the city is a complete eye sore.

I also cant imagine Chicago tackling the crime issue to levels comparable to New York. As Gtown said, which I completely agree with, New York priced out its crime. The south side of Chicago is somewhat of an industrial wasteland. New York already had a lot of its housing and transit in place before gentrification took off in the city. Chicago's south side is completely under served when it comes to mass transit...there are 2 L lines that run south, and they don't even reach the city limits It would cost billions of dollars to tear down factories and build the infrastructure to support the urban lifestyle seen on the north side.

Sorry if that post was all over the place...I'm not in the best state of mind right now.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I don't think Chicago is trying to be New York, but I will admit that some of the things this city does are mainly for show. Making touristy parts of the city look nice makes you forget about the crime, but if you go south on the Dan Ryan, the city is a complete eye sore.

I also cant imagine Chicago tackling the crime issue to levels comparable to New York. As Gtown said, which I completely agree with, New York priced out its crime. The south side of Chicago is somewhat of an industrial wasteland. New York already had a lot of its housing and transit in place before gentrification took off in the city. Chicago's south side is completely under served when it comes to mass transit...there are 2 L lines that run south, and they don't even reach the city limits It would cost billions of dollars to tear down factories and build the infrastructure to support the urban lifestyle seen on the north side.

Sorry if that post was all over the place...I'm not in the best state of mind right now.
lol, was a rainy day yesterday...
would pricing out crime be a good thing though? And if so what price ceiling is needed to get rid of crime. There are of course downsides to this but doesn't seem like the most horrible idea either if nothing else is obviously working. I don't think that is the only way though, there are plenty of low income places in the U.S. with low crime.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
I actually agree with this

mas23

Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post

Not all of the south side is indutrial wastlend. They just need to spread the money to these broke down neighborhoods instead of spending millions on BS to make the tourists happy. Alot of these place have very little infrastructure at all.
Alot of these neighborhoods actually have potantial to be stable, and not in the gentrification type of way either. Atleast some of the housing stock of these board ups are manageable.
mas23

Last edited by mas23; 10-24-2010 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 02:34 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City