Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times

Advertisements

Houston is turning into a BEAST- That along with ATL.

I don't what else to say, I love where those cities are heading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, the rankings are for metros mr know it all. do you want to stop now or go try going 3 for 3? Why don't you just go for the strike and toss all credibility out of the window. you made a mistake. You thought Austin was in Austin county, but instead of being humble and admitting your mistake you want to get cocky and say crap like try for the top 5. what does that have to do with Houston comparing to its peers?

btw, Orlando is not Houston's peer. It is not on the same level, I don't know if it ever will be on the smae level, but it sure will not be anytime soon.

btw here are last years numbers for the cities that A&M mentioned:
5. Miami FL
7. Atlanta GA
8. Houston TX
DFW was not in the top 10.

Seems to me like Houston Ranks well with the cities A&M listed.
I did admit that you pointed out a mistake for me and I even thanked you for it, go read my Edit Line from that post. Never suggested that Orlando was Houston's peer, I've followed this thread, I know what cities we are discussing here. I was interjecting Orlando only to suggest that me fluffing our numbers with a place almost 50 miles away would be ridiculous. And actually our numbers only come from 3 counties of our metro area if you actually look at our CVB website. My suggestion was that Galveston sits at the extreme edge of your metro area and because of that interesting little geographical fact, a good portion of your "Houston metro" visitors might not actually visit Houston? But this was all just conjecture on my part, you seem to want to make it personal. Why insult my city which isn't even being argued in this thread? Oh but if we are talking visitors per year than Orlando mops the floor with Houston's numbers and then it's Houston that is not even close to being a peer.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Houston is turning into a BEAST- That along with ATL.

I don't what else to say, I love where those cities are heading.
lol, don't jinz us.

They were predicting taht we were going to hell at the start of the last decade.

We had lost compac
Enron crumbled
Tropical storm alison came ashore and sat over houston for three days flooding the city.

They were saying the medical center was gonna be bankrupt. The loss of compact and Enron would throw our economy into turmoil, but we survived.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Wow I don't even have time to finish one reply before...
Quote:
lol, at least we don't lay our claim to fame on an over priced theme park.

your comments are just funny. I would give Miami some serious thought, but Orlando? You gotta be kidding me dude.
Ehh some of us love that overpriced theme park, enjoy EQA then if that's how you feel. Miami kicks ass BTW, that's Florida's true big city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I like Orlando, and I give you guys props for having more than the hacks on this website can give it credit for. To the people on this website Orlando's up coming Medical Industry, tech industry, and fine arts areas they glance over it and its not fair to Orlando at all.

But in reality growing up in Houston, Galveston was a big part of a lot of our lives, I know its miles away but from Houston city limits (the edge) its only 23 miles or so. Galveston is ours, and its definitely something Houston and the Houston posters here take for granted. Its a Houston thing, trust me, to know what Galveston means to Houston you have to know from someone who grew up going there. Its not just a "vacation spot" or something its Houston's biggest hidden secret, and one of its historical ties. The over 25% of the people who go to Houston from Galveston for work know what it means to them.

By the way, I see Orlando-Tampa as one functioning area, even though they aren't one big metropolitan area yet, but I'm just trying to be fair. I hate the arguments from Philadelphia posters who come into the Houston forum to cry and moan about how Galveston is X miles away and how so and so should be apart of their metro. There is a saying "it is what it is". Trust me its an argument I really have worn out. Its like how you feel when you defend Orlando for having more than just Disney.

Galveston is 100% reliant on Houston economically, those people living there know this connection. Houstonians often overlook it but the long time residents who cause that traffic jam on weekends on Sea Wall Boulevard know what I mean.
I understand your points man, I'm not saying it's not important to you guys. So is KSC, Cocoa Beach, and Daytona to us. I'm just not used to something that far away being considered in the numbers for our local visitors, regardless of it's classification as MSA or not. No insults meant by my opinion.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I did admit that you pointed out a mistake for me and I even thanked you for it, go read my Edit Line from that post. Never suggested that Orlando was Houston's peer, I've followed this thread, I know what cities we are discussing here. I was interjecting Orlando only to suggest that me fluffing our numbers with a place almost 50 miles away would be ridiculous. And actually our numbers only come from 3 counties of our metro area if you actually look at our CVB website. My suggestion was that Galveston sits at the extreme edge of your metro area and because of that interesting little geographical fact, a good portion of your "Houston metro" visitors might not actually visit Houston? But this was all just conjecture on my part, you seem to want to make it personal. Why insult my city which isn't even being argued in this thread? Oh but if we are talking visitors per year than Orlando mops the floor with Houston's numbers and then it's Houston that is not even close to being a peer.

my eyesight must be worse than I thought. sorry I did not see where you admited your mistake and thanked me. You are confusing my post for yours I am the one who thanked you for the link.

Orlando is my second home. My Mom's family has a house there, I can tell the truth about all I want,

and you brought Orlando in first mr. instead of using one of the cities mentioned in this thread you brought up Orlando, which opened it up for discussion.

Be honest with yourself. Orlando without Disney is just Lando

Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:

I understand your points man, I'm not saying it's not important to you guys. So is KSC, Cocoa Beach, and Daytona to us. I'm just not used to something that far away being considered in the numbers for our local visitors, regardless of it's classification as MSA or not. No insults meant by my opinion.

Galveston is just one area you would visit on the trip. You visit NASA in the afternoon and then spend the evening at the Kemah Boardwalk and then back on to HOuston. just because they go to Galveston as part of the trip doesn't mean they spend the whole time there.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
my eyesight must be worse than I thought. sorry I did not see where you admited your mistake and thanked me. You are confusing my post for yours I am the one who thanked you for the link.

Orlando is my second home. My Mom's family has a house there, I can tell the truth about all I want,

and you brought Orlando in first mr. instead of using one of the cities mentioned in this thread you brought up Orlando, which opened it up for discussion.

Be honest with yourself. Orlando without Disney is just Lando
My user name (like yours) brings in Orlando (Houston) first into any thread I jump into. Since we were talking about tourism numbers, it seemed appropriate that I make my conjectures based on oh let's say the most visited place in the US. You still didn't explain why you insulted Orlando by comparing it to Houston, I never compared it to Houston. I only pointed out that we do not consider areas that far out (metro or not) in our CVB numbers.

I refuse to shift this thread anymore away from the topic but maybe you would be right if Disney never came, but you are certainly wrong if we are talking present day. I admit, they were our major spark. Now they're just our biggest and best park.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
My user name (like yours) brings in Orlando (Houston) first into any thread I jump into. Since we were talking about tourism numbers, it seemed appropriate that I make my conjectures based on oh let's say the most visited place in the US. You still didn't explain why you insulted Orlando by comparing it to Houston, I never compared it to Houston. I only pointed out that we do not consider areas that far out (metro or not) in our CVB numbers.

This post (post number 144):

Quote:
So I went from being a bit confused to making outlandish statements?? OK?? But including Galveston is like Orlando including Daytona Beach, fluffing the numbers a tad there aren't we Houston? Oh and top ten is nice but get back to me when you crack the top 5 .
this was the first time that Orlando was brought up in this thread. the history is very clear for anyone to see mr. You brought it in. We were talking about how Houston compares to its peers why didn't you use Miami, ATL or Dallas instead? because you wnated to make an apples to oranges comparison and look smart.

you are acting like Houston is the only city below Orlando for visitors. Lets see who also has less visitors
New York
Chicago... wait just about everywhere.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:33 AM

Htown: Let me ask you an honest question. If you are so upset that I brought up Orlando in reference to a discussion about Houston's tourism numbers, then why are you still talking about it? I've been willing to drop Orlando from the discussion since the moment I said I don't consider it one of Houston's peers. I didn't use those other cities because I wasn't trying to make a numerical comparison between Houston and any city. The comparison was simply to illustrate that Houston has some added help to push up it's numbers, it's up to you locals to say why like Danny did. He explained how tight the relationship is between Houston and Galveston. Would you like me to go back and use Miami and Atlanta, they both outrank Houston? Do me a favor if the history is clear for you, please quote me as comparing Houston to Orlando or suggesting a peer relationship between the 2? The only place they are even considered peers is on the list of top 10 destinations in the US, but then again, I wouldn't exactly say that's a fair comparison.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's part of the official MSA and 110% sure it's part of the CSA, however I said initial metro. However Galveston is 46 miles as the crow flies from DT Houston, would you like me to fluff Orlando's tourism numbers with locations almost 50 miles away like Kennedy Space Center or Port Canaveral?? I'm sure we'd be knocking on the 60 million a year number instead of nearing 50 as we are now. Not trying to compete just trying to give my argument some context.
Don't most of the people who go to places like Kennedy stay in Orlando anyway? Kennedy is just the day trip, so they still count as Orlando's tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City