U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,926,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You were going great, until you posted your last sentence. Now you're just perpetuating the same stereotypes as everybody else. Don't believe that just because a city is trendy that equates to being important.

Why are Denver, Seattle, and SD "heavyweights," when Seattle and SD have fewer Fortune 500 Companies than Milwaukee, and Denver has the exact same amount? Milwaukee and Denver are each home to 8 F500's, Seattle is only home to 7, and SD is home to a very unimpressive 3.
HAHA there you go again jjacobeclark with your stat manipulations. Who cares if Milwaukee has a bunch of fringe F500s when a singular Seattle F500 has more market capitalization than all of the Milwaukee companies combined? Do the real math, not your fail-math. You come off as misinformed and grasping at straws.

Last edited by toughguy; 07-22-2010 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,299,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I will never consider myself Minnesotan, but as long as I'm living here I don't mind hearing us referred to as flyover country. I think it's to the TC area's advantage to remain under the radar. BTW, does it really bother Minnesotan's to hear flyover country, etc...? I've never heard anyone complain about it.
Not sure, but it's often used as in insult or with an insulting tone. Ironically I am watching Entourage right now and Ari Gold just said "...Soccer moms in flyover country..." in a condecending tone.

It's irritating to hear that type of stuff.

I also heard something like that on PTI the other day my Michael Wilbon, ironically who is from the midwest. He said something like "....if you're gonna do that, go to the midwest where it's flat and you can get away with that stuff..."

Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,287,198 times
I think that the mountains give Denver the edge here. Minneapolis is great though.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,802,922 times
I'll loan you some lakes if we can borrow a few mountains?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You were going great, until you posted your last sentence. Now you're just perpetuating the same stereotypes as everybody else. Don't believe that just because a city is trendy that equates to being important.

Why are Denver, Seattle, and SD "heavyweights," when Seattle and SD have fewer Fortune 500 Companies than Milwaukee, and Denver has the exact same amount? Milwaukee and Denver are each home to 8 F500's, Seattle is only home to 7, and SD is home to a very unimpressive 3.
F500s don't directly correlate to being a 'great place to live'.

I'm talking in terms of:

Healthiness
Education
Livability
Public Transportation
Amentities
Size of the Metro
Entertainment
Professional Sports

etc.

Don't get salty because Milwaukee is a peg below the Twin Cities, that's just how it is. I think that the Twin Cities fall into a category of Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver and San Diego moreso than Milwaukee and St. Louis and Cleveland.

Through research, professional conventions and volunteering, as well as my Degree in college and my general knowledge from reading and visiting... I woul

Group A
LA
Chicago
NYC

Group B
Houston
Miami
San Francisco
Philadelphia
DC
Boston
Dallas
Atlanta (maybe...if not definitely in C)

Group C
Seattle
Denver
Twin Cities
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Maybe Atlanta (see above)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:53 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,975,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
F500s don't directly correlate to being a 'great place to live'.

I'm talking in terms of:

Healthiness
Education
Livability
Public Transportation
Amentities
Size of the Metro
Entertainment
Professional Sports

etc.
What do those things have to do with being "heavyweights" as you put it? When I think heavyweight, I'm thinking economic powerhouse.

Quote:
Don't get salty because Milwaukee is a peg below the Twin Cities, that's just how it is. I think that the Twin Cities fall into a category of Pittsburgh, Seattle, Denver and San Diego moreso than Milwaukee and St. Louis and Cleveland.
LOL. Who's salty? I'm well aware that Milwaukee is a step below MSP, that wasn't even what I was disputing. I was disputing you calling Denver, Seattle, and SD "heavyweights." My point was to demonstrate that Milwaukee could actually hold its own against those cities you viewed as being equals of MSP.

BTW, Milwaukee has just as many pro sports teams as SD, and just as many F500's as Denver.

Quote:
Through research, professional conventions and volunteering, as well as my Degree in college and my general knowledge from reading and visiting... I woul

Group A
LA
Chicago
NYC

Group B
Houston
Miami
San Francisco
Philadelphia
DC
Boston
Dallas
Atlanta (maybe...if not definitely in C)

Group C
Seattle
Denver
Twin Cities
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Maybe Atlanta (see above)
Here's how I would rate the following cities using your boxing analogy.

Heavyweight
NYC

Junior heavyweight
Chicago
LA

Light heavyweight
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas-Ft. Worth
DC-Baltimore
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
SF Bay Area

Super middleweight
Cleveland
Denver
Detroit
Minneapolis-St. Paul (big for their weight class)
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Seattle
St. Louis

Middleweight
Austin
Charlotte
Columbus
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Las Vegas
Louisville
Memphis
Milwaukee
Nashville
Orlando
Portland
Sacramento
San Antonio
Tampa-St. Petersburg

Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 AM

3,732 posts, read 6,903,144 times
^ I actually think Baltimore should be one city instead of "DC-Baltimore" and be in the Super Middleweight class, keep DC in Light Heavyweight though. Lol, all in all I think you made a pretty good list though.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM

335 posts, read 544,739 times
hey if people consider minneapolis flyover country then thats a good thing just as long as it keeps those people from ever coming here.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Here's how I would rate the following cities using your boxing analogy.

Heavyweight
NYC

Junior heavyweight
Chicago
LA

Light heavyweight
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas-Ft. Worth
DC-Baltimore
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
SF Bay Area

Super middleweight
Cleveland
Denver
Detroit
Minneapolis-St. Paul (big for their weight class)
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Seattle
St. Louis

Middleweight
Austin
Charlotte
Columbus
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Las Vegas
Louisville
Memphis
Milwaukee
Nashville
Orlando
Portland
Sacramento
San Antonio
Tampa-St. Petersburg
Touche-

I like your list way better.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:53 AM

737 posts, read 1,365,277 times
Minneapolis

I think the TCs is one of the best kept secretes in the country. I was very impressed with the area when I interviewed here last year. Hopefully it will remain that way at least until I'm old enough to retire on a lake home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City