Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,655,532 times

Advertisements

At least Minneapolis is never called a 'Cow-town', which I still don't even know what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM

219 posts, read 480,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designlucas View Post
I currently live in Tennessee right next to the Smokey mountains, so maybe I've been spoiled by the lush semi-tropical nature of our mountains.
Huh? Tennessee isn't semi-tropical, even though parts of Tennessee easily gotten 10 inches of rain within only 1 month in 2010, in May, IIRC.
There was an unusual rain event, which, TBH, is like Vermont getting 10 inches of rain in just 1 month. O_O

"Semi-tropical" sounds more like North Carolina. Where the water is easily 80 F!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,849,249 times
Having visited both cities and the states they're in-here is what I found:

Minnesota ( state) very lovely, friendly and helpful people in the towns of Albert Lea and Worthington. Couldn't have asked for a more comfortable place to stay and really took the time to give directions,etc. I felt very welcomed and comfortable there.I wish I had more time to visit the beautiful lakes of Minnesota because I enjoyed that part the most!

Minneapolis ( city) Snobby, unfriendly people.

Denver(city) Very friendly, outgoing people . Most people I met there lived there but were from other cities and states so they took the time to explain directions to Coors Field. It was a very hot day and they GAVE me a bottled water! People were very ACTIVE- full of suggestions of where to go/what to see,etc. Denverites are VERY laid back and welcoming.Nice people!

Colorado ( state) other cities, namely Boulder, I couldn't stand VERY pretentious,way too snobby!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,817,975 times
I think both downtowns are equal both about same size and population. Both Denver and Minneapolis have slowly dieing downtowns as more people shop,eat,and play in the suburbs they have both lost the majority of there large downtown department stores or all of there large department stores.People going into downtown on a game day on a friday only makes that city vibrant on game days. They both need to work on growing a dense 24hr downtown they both are equal in office space,hotel rooms,and residents downtown pretty much.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,067,787 times
Denver's Downtown is not dying. Pretty sure that Minneapolis's DT is not dying either.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,817,975 times
Does denver have a downtown retail scene.Is there large department stores downtown or have they moved out. Is there new large international retailers moving downtown. Thats what I was speakin about. Both cities have retail movin out of the them. At one time both cities were shopping destinations but with cherry creek mall and mall of America both cities seemed to have lost there luster .

Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,532,668 times
Dying downtowns? Ha!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,686,551 times
Denver's downtown is really thriving. Minneapolis, too, has seen its downtown really take off in recent years. The ideas that both downtowns are "dying" is at least a decade out-of-date.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,224,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Denver's downtown is really thriving. Minneapolis, too, has seen its downtown really take off in recent years. The ideas that both downtowns are "dying" is at least a decade out-of-date.
Agreed. IMO, both Minneapolis and Denver have some of the most thriving downtown districts for cities of their size. Whoever says that their downtowns are dying have probably never been to either city.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM

252 posts, read 492,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I think both downtowns are equal both about same size and population. Both Denver and Minneapolis have slowly dieing downtowns as more people shop,eat,and play in the suburbs they have both lost the majority of there large downtown department stores or all of there large department stores.People going into downtown on a game day on a friday only makes that city vibrant on game days. They both need to work on growing a dense 24hr downtown they both are equal in office space,hotel rooms,and residents downtown pretty much.
What? Neither downtown area is dying. I'm sure activity has slowed compared to a few decades ago, but every city has experienced a decline since those times. Both downtown Minneapolis and downtown Denver have much more to offer than the majority of major cities in the country.

Downtown Minneapolis, for example, has shopping options that include Target, Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor, Talbots, Gap and several others. There are a numerous local and national restaurants located in downtown MPLS. As far as play, downtown Minneapolis has the new Target Field, Target Center, the Metrodome, the Guthrie Theater, State Theater, Pantages Theater as well as the Orpheum.

BTW, there is only one, true 24 hour city in this country.

Last edited by Unity77; 10-12-2010 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City