Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
The average tourist in NYC is not staying in Bronx. LOL.

In Los Angeles, you actually pass through ghettos because of its sprawl.

I live in Manhattan, and I never see ghettos. When I was in Beverly Hills, I routinely passed ghettos to get to various places around the city. During my first visits to LA, quite frankly, I thought most of the city was dumpy and ghetto until I got familiar with the area, explored and discovered nice neighborhoods.
I don't know how you can assert that. This isn't a pissing contest and I mean no offense but if you want to deny a reality about New York than this discussion becomes silly. "Ghettos" in Los Angeles are basically suburban looking neighborhoods with maybe 2 or 3 story apartment buildings but mostly modest single-family homes with yards and trees\ grass. The houses are run-down and there is graffiti on the walls with drug users\ traffickers and maybe even prostitution later in the day. I saw all of that in New York except the streets had no yards or trees and were 5-10 story old tenement buildings with graffiti everywhere, garbage in the street that were full of pot holes.

If you stayed in Beverly Hills and had to travel thru ghettos I'd like to know how you ended up in south -central LA or Compton [at least 10-15 miles away] Let's at least be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
"If you could live in or near any city in the country except the one you live in or nearest to now, which city would you choose?"

1 New York
2 San Diego
3 Las Vegas
4 Seattle
5 San Francisco
6 Los Angeles
7-tied Nashville
7-tied Atlanta
9 Denver
10 Boston

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,620 adults surveyed online between September 14 and 20, 2010 by Harris Interactive.

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near
talk about polar opposites. i'd love to see the "homeless kids" in SD live in NYC for 1 month - summer too

Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM

70 posts, read 86,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't know how you can assert that. This isn't a pissing contest and I mean no offense but if you want to deny a reality about New York than this discussion becomes silly. "Ghettos" in Los Angeles are basically suburban looking neighborhoods with maybe 2 or 3 story apartment buildings but mostly modest single-family homes with yards and trees\ grass. The houses are run-down and there is graffiti on the walls with drug users\ traffickers and maybe even prostitution later in the day. I saw all of that in New York except the streets had no yards or trees and were 5-10 story old tenement buildings with graffiti everywhere, garbage in the street that were full of pot holes.

If you stayed in Beverly Hills and had to travel thru ghettos I'd like to know how you ended up in south -central LA or Compton [at least 10-15 miles away] Let's at least be honest.
A pissing contest?

Why would New York City's ghettos being (allegedly) godforsaken offend me a single bit? I would imagine NYC's ghettos to be terrible, like I do LA or St Louis or Oakland.

Why would I care what NYC's ghettos look like? I have no affiliation with the ghetto and I don't plan on living in a ghetto so why on earth would I be offended? I'm not too familiar with the NYC ghettos, but living in Manhattan, I never ever see them, in LA, they're out in the open.

Staying in LA (and I've lived in CA for far longer than NY), I always find myself driving through dumpy looking ghettos, full of crime, beggars, Mexican gangs roaming the streets. I hardly see that in NYC. The ghettoest neighborhood I've seen in NYC was Bed Stuy when my GPS lead me through it, and frankly I thought it was more interesting than areas in LA I've seen like Skid Row. Although it looked dumpy, I saw some beautiful buildings even though many of them looked dilapidated. I've also driven through East Harlem and it wasn't too bad. At least the streets were full life and it didn't feel dangerous at all. There is something so eerie about driving through LA's barren ghettos in the night time, even in the safety of car. It's very hard to avoid them.

I've never been to Tretmont (or wherever it is) in the Bronx and I don't ever plan on ever going there. New York City's ghettos could be hell on earth for all I care, it has no effect on my life because its so removed from me.

Please get over it.

Last edited by 10013; 10-23-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
A pissing contest?

Why would New York City's ghettos being (allegedly) godforsaken offend me a single bit? I would imagine NYC's ghettos to be terrible, like I do LA or St Louis or Oakland.

Why would I care what NYC's ghettos look like? I have no affiliation with the ghetto and I don't plan on living in a ghetto so why on earth would I be offended? I'm not too familiar with the NYC ghettos, but living in Manhattan, I never ever see them, in LA, they're out in the open.

Staying in LA (and I've lived in CA for far longer than NY), I always find myself driving through dumpy looking ghettos, full of crime, beggars, Mexican gangs roaming the streets. I hardly see that in NYC. The ghettoest neighborhood I've seen in NYC was Bed Stuy when my GPS lead me through it, and frankly I thought it was more interesting than areas in LA I've seen like Skid Row. Although it looked dumpy, I saw some beautiful buildings even though many of them looked dilapidated. I've also driven through East Harlem and it wasn't too bad. At least the streets were full life and it didn't feel dangerous at all. There is something so eerie about driving through LA's barren ghettos in the night time, even in the safety of car. It's very hard to avoid them.

I've never been to Tretmont (or wherever it is) in the Bronx and I don't ever plan on ever going there. New York City's ghettos could be hell on earth for all I care, it has no effect on my life because its so removed from me.

Please get over it.
You obviously are offended and it shows in your skewed responses. You can in no way even compare some rundown neighborhoods in LA to the jungles of NYC base on mere scale. To even suggest that Bedford-Stuyvesant has interesting buildings is hilarious. It is one of the worst ghetto in the nation and nobody would want to live there unless they had to. I know, I was there as well as south Bronx; everyone I spoke to wanted to know about Los Angeles and expressed strong opinions of leaving NYC even if it meant going back to Puerto Rico.

And let's try to be at least a little honest here. Driving down many streets in Manhattan certainly was no paradise unless you live in Central Park like the other millionaires. The problem with discussing issues like this is that it requires candor and a suspension of ego. When that is absent than it becomes nothing more than ragging on each other. NYC is a very interesting city but to suggest that it is somehow immune from poverty or "hides" it better than other cities is pure fantasy and intentional dishonesty. Oh well

Old 10-23-2010, 02:20 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Nice to see Orlando at number 11.

I would pick Seattle.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:44 PM

70 posts, read 86,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You obviously are offended and it shows in your skewed responses. You can in no way even compare some rundown neighborhoods in LA to the jungles of NYC base on mere scale.
There is no use of getting upset -- Los Angeles is a pretty cool city so please don't take what I say personally. I am not the one who came up with these statistics, so don't direct your emotions at me.

According to official statistics, Los Angeles is more ghetto than New York City. Look, I know Los Angeles is really beaten up on this forum and in the real world, and if you've noticed from my post history, I've tried to be fair and admit that the city does have its fare share of fabulous neighborhoods, but it is what it is. I've never bashed Los Angeles, but the but when it comes to the negatives, Los Angeles is far worse than New York City. The poverty is more oppressive, the crime rate is higher, higher rates of illiteracy, yada yada yada.

I wish Los Angeles weren't as "bad" as it's portrayed by facts (whether it be census reporting or official figures via the FBI), but it is what is is....

Quote:
To even suggest that Bedford-Stuyvesant has interesting buildings is hilarious. It is one of the worst ghetto in the nation and nobody would want to live there unless they had to. I know, I was there as well as south Bronx; everyone I spoke to wanted to know about Los Angeles and expressed strong opinions of leaving NYC even if it meant going back to Puerto Rico.
Hmmmm..i'm not quite sure where you're getting this information according to FBI's most dangerous neighborhoods, Bed Stuy is indeed safer than neighborhoods in Los Angeles, such as Pico or South Central. Bed Stuy also has a lower level of poverty than the most infamous Los Angeles neighborhood such as Boyle Heights, Pico Union, Watts, Skid Row, etc.

And believe me, by the look in the eyes of the homeless, crack addicts, thugs/gangsters I saw, many of them must have strong opinions of leaving Los Angeles, even if it meant the INS collecting them and deporting them back to Tijuana!

Quote:
And let's try to be at least a little honest here. Driving down many streets in Manhattan certainly was no paradise unless you live in Central Park like the other millionaires.
It's actually lovely. Manhattan is a masterpiece, and I love driving down its streets (but I far prefer the intimate cobble streets of Downtown Manhattan, over Central Park). In my opinion, New York City is just a far better looking city than Los Angeles. It also seems as if most agree with me.

Quote:
The problem with discussing issues like this is that it requires candor and a suspension of ego.
It also requires intelligence, comprehension, maturity and perhaps extensive experience. I've lived in San Francisco, Houston, London, Los Angeles (very briefly) and Miami now New York City from what you're hinting at, you've hardly left Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, visiting a relative in the Bronx and going to Coney Island doesn't make you any sort of expert on NYC so I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Quote:
When that is absent than it becomes nothing more than ragging on each other. NYC is a very interesting city but to suggest that it is somehow immune from poverty or "hides" it better than other cities is pure fantasy and intentional dishonesty. Oh well
Los Angeles is also a very interesting city, but to suggest that it is in any way worse than New York City goes against any sort of statistic put out re: ghettoness.

I've learned not to go by ignorance/perception (really, there is so much of New York City or Los Angeles we can really see, since they're huge), so now I am solely about statistics, and statistics unfortunately paint Los Angeles in a very negative way.

Last edited by 10013; 10-23-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
There is no use of getting upset -- Los Angeles is a pretty cool city so please don't take what I say personally. I am not the one who came up with these statistics, so don't direct your emotions at me.

According to official statistics, Los Angeles is more ghetto than New York City. Look, I know Los Angeles is really beaten up on this forum and in the real world, and if you've noticed from my post history, I've tried to be fair and admit that the city does have its fare share of fabulous neighborhoods, but it is what it is. I've never bashed Los Angeles, but the but when it comes to the negatives, Los Angeles is far worse than New York City. The poverty is more oppressive, the crime rate is higher, higher rates of illiteracy, yada yada yada.

I wish Los Angeles weren't as "bad" as it's portrayed by facts (whether it be census reporting or official figures via the FBI), but it is what is is....

Hmmmm..i'm not quite sure where you're getting this information according to FBI's most dangerous neighborhoods, Bed Stuy is indeed safer than neighborhoods in Los Angeles, such as Pico or South Central. Bed Stuy also has a lower level of poverty than the most infamous Los Angeles neighborhood such as Boyle Heights, Pico Union, Watts, Skid Row, etc.

And believe me, by the look in the eyes of the homeless, crack addicts, thugs/gangsters I saw, many of them must have strong opinions of leaving Los Angeles, even if it meant the INS collecting them and deporting them back to Tijuana!

It's actually lovely. Manhattan is a masterpiece, and I love driving down its streets (but I far prefer the intimate cobble streets of Downtown Manhattan, over Central Park). In my opinion, New York City is just a far better looking city than Los Angeles. It also seems as if most agree with me.

It also requires intelligence, comprehension, maturity and perhaps extensive experience. I've lived in San Francisco, Houston, London, Los Angeles (very briefly) and Miami now New York City from what you're hinting at, you've hardly left Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, visiting a relative in the Bronx and going to Coney Island doesn't make you any sort of expert on NYC so I take everything you say with a grain of salt.

Los Angeles is also a very interesting city, but to suggest that it is in any way worse than New York City goes against any sort of statistic put out re: ghettoness.

I've learned not to go by ignorance/perception (really, there is so much of New York City or Los Angeles we can really see, since they're huge), so now I am solely about statistics, and statistics unfortunately paint Los Angeles in a very negative way.
You can suggest anything but without backing it up with reliable data it is meaningless and nothing more than fabrication. Many posters on C-D make the effort to prove what they assert with facts. Unless you are willing to do so you leave the impression that you don't know what you are talking about and have some sort of agenda. Anyone who claims New York City is sophiscated and than betrays that with outright slanders of another city becomes a contradiction revealing a level of insecurity and arrogance. You can't fool those who have actually been in your city with false statements. And when you suggest that there are ghettos surrounding Beverly Hills you only further injure your credibility and disclose something else about yourself.

I enjoy honest discussions but find that is not always the case with some posters. If you want readers to think that Manhattan is pristine and each neighborhood fabulous than you let down your fellow New Yorkers and embarrass those who really know the truth.

New York is a fabulous city but it most definitely has extreme poverty and slums that any other city in America would be shocked to see. In one way I am glad that I am poor and so are my relatives in the Bronx because what I saw of that borough was an eye-opener that I recommend you check out some day by taking off your sophisticated rose colored glasses and see for yourself. Sorry to disturb your fantasy.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i think this harris guy is a fake

Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Did I misunderstand your comment that you were surprised that Nashville was on the list?
I think NashVega$ is on a lot of peoples' radar.
I loved Nashville and had so much fun when I was there. I would go back in a heartbeat. Out of the list it's #1 and the only city on the list I would want to live in.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM

358 posts, read 754,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol did you check out the link.

I don't know how much I would trust a survey where the most desriable cities were also the least desirable cities.

Sounds too much like an Alanis Morrissette song to me
I'd bet my first born that if Houston made this list, you and your cronies would be yelling from the rooftops that this list was a true reflection of what Americans think. Y'all are so predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City