U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is the most enviable lifestyle to you?
Pacific Northwest Lifestyle, represented by Seattle 9 19.15%
Southern California Lifestyle, represented by Los Angeles 18 38.30%
Sunbelt Lifestyle, represented by Dallas 5 10.64%
Midwest Lifestyle, represented by Cleveland 2 4.26%
Urban Northeast Lifestyle, represented by New York City 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,792,660 times

Advertisements

Notwithstanding critical issues like cost of living, career prospects, public education, and crime, which U.S. city in your opinion has the most enviable lifestyle?

For the poll I chose cities that I think offer unique lifestyles or ones that can serve as a representative for other cities with similar lifestyle offerings. Feel free to pick one of the following or explain your own choice.

Seattle "The Pacific Northwest Lifestyle" - In Seattle, you are surrounded by natural beauty everywhere, to the point that the mountains, water, and forests seem palpable. With this comes fabulous opportunities for outdoor activities; however, the majority of the year the weather will be drizzly and grey. The city's built environment and infrastructure is also impressive, with adequate public transportation and a highly enviable downtown. There are pockets of diversity, but overall you are in a relatively homogenous city. Most people will be white and share your liberal attitudes. You will probably feel uncomfortable being a conservative Republican in this environment. Protecting the environment is a priority for the local government and the people in general. The city is well educated and people are friendly and love to be politically aware. This lifestyle is also found, at least to an extent, in Vancouver and Portland. I Will also include San Francisco in this lifestyle, although it could easily stand apart in its own category due to its measurably higher diversity and unique urban environment.

Los Angeles "The Southern California Lifestyle" - In L.A., life is relaxed. You will spend a lot of time stuck in traffic in your car that you treat like a child (because you probably won't feel pressured to have children of your own) and the city itself isn't the most attractive, but it is large and sprawly enough that you will find beautiful areas especially around the ocean and in the mountains. You will be surrounded by diversity everywhere. People won't be too friendly and they'll probably be politically apathetic, but there is an emphasis on having fun and the nightlife is great with house parties serving as the primary unit of fun-making (people will also be proud of their homes, and real estate is always a hot topic). The weather is always sunny, so people are outside a lot: at the beach, out shopping, socializing, or whatever you want. There is a noticeable gaudy, show-biz culture but you don't have to participate in this by any means. L.A. is so big, urban life does not revolve around a single downtown, instead many urban clusters throughout the gigantic expanse of city serve your urban needs and the one which you live most close to is the one you will be the most familiar with and spend the most time in. The SoCal lifestyle can also be had in San Diego, although on a much smaller scale with a very different culture.

Dallas "The Sunbelt Lifestyle" - In places like this, which include Houston, Atlanta, and Charlotte, you can have your cake and eat it to. You can own a large house, maybe even a huge one with 3 SUVs and no one will judge you. This lifestyle is largely suburban, but also family friendly. In Dallas you won't find natural beauty in the classical, Western sense, but there plenty of cultural offerings to keep you occupied. Your city is diverse, and getting more diverse. And despite being set in a very conservative environment, the city itself will likely be politically moderate and accepting. *Anyone can feel free to add on/take off from this lifestyle because I don't really have much experience it personally*

Cleveland "The Midwest Lifestyle" - Does this lifestyle exist? I'm not really sure but I didn't want to exclude the midwest. Maybe the highlights of this lifestyle would be the 4 distinct seasons, family-friendliness and traditional American values held by the majority of people? My goal is to describe a lifestyle that would represent places like Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Chicago.

New York City "The Ultimate Urban Lifestyle" - You might or might not have a car, but you can always take a cab or the subway if you like. Your city is walkable, dense, and historic. There is culture and diversity all over the place. The opportunities for outdoor excursions are more limited than other places, but the real emphasis here is on the abundance of cultural amenities. You probably won't live in a big new-construction house, or maybe not a house at all. Similar lifestyles can be found in Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington DC. *Again, feel free to revise this entry as you see fit - my personal experience here is limited*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
If I lived in the Northeast it would only be in New York City (Manhattan specifically). I don't want anything less than perfect there. I don't consider Washington DC apart of the Northeast or apart of any region actually. But Washington DC is yet another city that I would live in a heartbeat. I like New York City and living there would be something I would adjust to because it is the greatest freakin city on Earth. But I wouldn't live there all year though, I would go insane because I have to have my room and have to have relaxation from that type of lifestyle. I would like living in Boston but I have some preferences that it doesn't meet, and Philadelphia is nice to visit but I haven't ever had the urge to live there to be honest. I kind of want to be a city thats dynamically growing, where you can see new things pop up every week if not that then a city that is on the map and people know it for something famous in times like right now, or a city that has my style of architecture, or a city that is on the coast/near the coast and has that coastal relaxed vibe in subtropical temperatures. Philadelphia isn't at all my style, and neither is Boston but one thing about Boston is that even though its skyline isn't something I like its parks are beautiful and so are its neighborhoods. Its a tempting city for me, but not enough to convince me of anything long term, but definitely for a few months to a year or two just for the cityscape. New York City, is my exception because it literally has the type of cosmopolitan feel I like and thats in terms of diversity, food offerings, and all the amenities. I've tried finding things New York City doesn't have and my list is only like 5 things deep... but yeah I

I could see myself living in Los Angeles or San Diego, I am very outdoorsy and thats something that I like to have as an option in the city I live in. I get a good amount of that in Austin & Houston though. But yeah this is definitely one of my most preferred options, and its definitely something I would do.

I already live in Chicago, and in my opinion it has more in common with New York City, Boston, & Philadelphia than it does directly with Cleveland's culture. Chicago is a cosmopolitan city, probably the only one in the Midwest (Minneapolis is getting there though) and the other Midwestern cities have their own distinct cultures that make them what they are.
But for this region I would only live in Chicago, Minneapolis, or Detroit (suburban areas or some of the good areas). I love my hometown of Chicago so its an automatic for me, and I know Detroit enough to say that its suburbs are pretty, so its in. Minneapolis I haven't been to, but it looks nice, and I am still unsure about it right now but after seeing it (in winter when it is its worst weather) I will get a good idea if I can handle it or not.

I would live in Houston & Miami over the others in the sunbelt just because I have to be near the coast. No ifs about it, it is a necessity for me. But I know Dallas-Fort Worth well enough to say that if I lived there I would be very happy. I like this type of living, and it leaves you with the option of being an outdoorsy type of person (At least in Austin & Houston you can be) because of the beaches, the weather (makes going to beaches more interesting), the large lakes where you can go wake boarding (which I do), and the options. I do love money and I do love the feeling of seeing more of it in the bank, which means if parking in commercial areas and whatnot is service than I'll take it over paying for the same situation in other places. All in all, I love having a large house, and I love having that option. But I have to have a Mediterranean/Spanish style home which only Miami & Houston (among major cities) have in the sunbelt. But like I said I could live in this and be happy with Atlanta, Dallas, Tampa, San Antonio, Orlando, & others that aren't Houston & Miami.

Pacific Northwest, Seattle all the way. Enough said!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:06 AM

9,906 posts, read 8,258,839 times
New York City definitely has the most enviable lifestyle, if you can afford it. (Most people can't for any appreciable length of time, including myself. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-23-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM

9,906 posts, read 8,258,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
New York City "The Ultimate Urban Lifestyle" - You might or might not have a car, but you can always take a cab or the subway if you like. Your city is walkable, dense, and historic. There is culture and diversity all over the place. The opportunities for outdoor excursions are more limited than other places, but the real emphasis here is on the abundance of cultural amenities. You probably won't live in a big new-construction house, or maybe not a house at all. Similar lifestyles can be found in Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington DC. *Again, feel free to revise this entry as you see fit - my personal experience here is limited*
Well, I don't really agree that the opportunities for outdoor activities are that limited in the northeast. What major outdoor things that people do elsewhere can you not do in the northeast?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-23-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM

908 posts, read 958,643 times
The urban Northeast lifestyle is the true urban American lifestyle.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM

6,970 posts, read 12,424,151 times
NYC anyday

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,683,784 times
If money is no object, the SoCal lifestyle would be #1

Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 PM

3,560 posts, read 4,519,230 times
The So. Cal lifestyle.

mas23

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM

11,251 posts, read 9,944,731 times
The Bay Area offers pretty much rolls a lot of all these lifestyles into one, doesn't it? San Jose, SF, and Oakland are built quite differently from each other, but all three are fairly prominent.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 AM

531 posts, read 610,537 times
I voted NYC. although, I must admit, I am very curious as to what the culture/lifestyle/vibe is like in a city such as Seattle....I picture it to be a really sophisticated and more urban version of Atlanta. Seattle's skyline is BEAUTIFUL-- and the setting is breathtaking. I would love to see it in person! how is Seattle at street level? I'm sure its no NYC/Bos/Chi/PHI/SF/etc, but is it more 'urban' than cities like Atlanta or Charlotte?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City