U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City you perfer to live in?
Chicago 31 63.27%
Houston 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:49 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,065,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
But when Houston passes Chicago, it will be bigger better, no doubt, that's what happened to LA, so who's to say it wont in Houston's case? Now with LA its more about catching up to NYC than about competing with Chicago.
LA will never be NY.

Houston will never be CHI.

Why argue? Ive seen Houston lose on every poll here. Its great and all that its growing, but sprawl and population growth does not make a great city. To compare Houston to NYC or Chicago is just bizarre IMO. Theyre not even on the same playing field. Houston needs to be compared to Dallas or Phoenix or Miami...

Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,004,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
yea im in Houston, and i never hear about Chicago on a day to day basis, so does that matter, is there a point hidden somewhere in there?
i'm not sure you're asking me this question, but i was referring to sweetclimber's post that said "or people hate it (those that haven't been there and believe what the media tells them!)". i don't know what the "media" says that influences ppl to hate Houston.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I look at it this way, negative stereotypes of Houston come from somewhere and I have personally seen several media sources put down the city. This one places rated thing had Miami an "A" grade for weather and Houston an "F" when the weather is the same! If that isn't biased I don't know what is! I agree that those that hate Houston just haven't been here because this city is definately world class.
I've been to Houston several times and don't care for it.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,762,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've been to Houston several times and don't care for it.
You can't really get a feel for a place by just having "been to it", you have to LIVE there or spend substantial time there.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You can't really get a feel for a place by just having "been to it", you have to LIVE there or spend substantial time there.
however, if i sang the praises of houston after just visiting, i'm sure my opinion would be considered valid.

i just want to get this straight, are we allowed to express a negative opinion of a place we've only "visited" without fear of being labeled wrong? if not, i think this board would be mighty boring otherwise.

have there been places you've visited that you didn't like? are your opinions bogus?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
however, if i sang the praises of houston after just visiting, i'm sure my opinion would be considered valid.

i just want to get this straight, are we allowed to express a negative opinion of a place we've only "visited" without fear of being labeled wrong? if not, i think this board would be mighty boring otherwise.

have there been places you've visited that you didn't like? are your opinions bogus?
If I spent a few days visiting a place in Jersey and said i didn't care for it yes my opinion would not be very valid! But if I or someone who has lived in a place for awhile say a year or more then I would take his opinion more seriously.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Very true.

But the times Ive been there, it didnt drop my jaw. Thats the kind of response I need to sustain interest. Sure it was ok and definitely alot better than most other major cities, but awe-inspiring? Absolutely not. Who knows, maybe in 30 years it might be! But as it is now, Houston is uninspiring.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Very true.

But the times Ive been there, it didnt drop my jaw. Thats the kind of response I need to sustain interest. Sure it was ok and definitely alot better than most other major cities, but awe-inspiring? Absolutely not. Who knows, maybe in 30 years it might be! But as it is now, Houston is uninspiring.
I think that Chicago and New York are the big 2 in America, but Houston is catching up. It is still in a fast growing stage kind of like NYC in the late 1800's or Chicago in the same period so it's not perfect but I still think it is not too far away from Chicago in terms of world infuence.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I think that Chicago and New York are the big 2 in America, but Houston is catching up. It is still in a fast growing stage kind of like NYC in the late 1800's or Chicago in the same period so it's not perfect but I still think it is not too far away from Chicago in terms of world infuence.
Houston is definitely there, influentially, but its downtown (its "core", if you will) isnt exciting. That, to me, is what makes a big city experience, well, big-city like. Phoenix is also getting big, but there is no downtown to hang out at, no big-city experience to offer. Its just boring sprawl, as are most sunbelt cities. Houston is definitely very important, but like I said, comparing it to Chicago and NYC just doesnt work. NYC and Chicago offer big-city living experiences. Houston just doesnt offer the same experience that Im looking for. Houston reminded me of a Charlotte on sterroids. LOL Not a bad thing, but just not what Im interested in.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM

18,258 posts, read 25,986,979 times
Houston is a baby right now compared to Chicago and New York. It is still maturing into a city. Sadly, sprawl has hurt Houston's growth and now the city is trying to change that the best way they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City