U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City you perfer to live in?
Chicago 31 63.27%
Houston 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was making a simple point. How "cocky" are you to open your mouth?

Anyone who has a thinking brain will know that Chicago and NY are GREAT cities. Do we need to have another poll to prove that alot more folks would prefer NY and Chicago to Houston? Or do you want to see Houston get blasted down again? Heck, even Portland was way preferred over Houston. Im willing to play your games.... theres no cockiness here, just common sense and good taste, amigo. Just let me know and Ill fire up the ol' poll once again.
I'm actually quite humble. If ever I'm cocky about anything, it isn't Houston. I just defend it. I wouldn't doubt that more people would choose Chicago or New York over Houston. I won't argue that. The point that I was trying to make was by saying that Houston doesn't want to be Chicago, and Chicago will never be as great as New York. It's your cockiness that leads you to be oblivious to these things.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I'm actually quite humble. If ever I'm cocky about anything, it isn't Houston. I just defend it. I wouldn't doubt that more people would choose Chicago or New York over Houston. I won't argue that. The point that I was trying to make was by saying that Houston doesn't want to be Chicago, and Chicago will never be as great as New York. It's your cockiness that leads you to be oblivious to these things.
I was trying to end the argument by stating the obvious: that LA will never be NY and HOU will never be CHI. I wasnt being cocky, or however you put it, just stating the facts. A burgeoning population wont make Houston like Chicago, or Chicago like NY. That was my point.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was trying to end the argument by stating the obvious: that LA will never be NY and HOU will never be CHI. I wasnt being cocky, or however you put it, just stating the facts. A burgeoning population wont make Houston like Chicago, or Chicago like NY. That was my point.
But these are the obvious things. Why would LA ever be NY? I was trying to state the less obvious things. That HOU doesn't want to be CHI (If we really wanted to, we would be by now) and that CHI won't ever be NY.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,632,479 times
Now now, I'm no great chicago defender and I'm quick to point out its shortfalls (anyone who has read my posts knows this), but a quick Wiki search turns up the alpha cities

from the GaWC Inventory of World Cities
Alpha world cities / full service world cities [6]

* 12 points: London, New York, Paris, Tokyo
* 10 points: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore

I can appreciate that one who is overzealous in the defense of one's hometown can get a bit annoying, but lets get our facts straight here.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeach View Post

Man, it will be nice having southern hospitality under as now on the national city ladder, rather than midwest corn!! It must be painful to be beat by a city that is more suburban than urban!! Congrats Houston!! WOOT WOOT!!! LOL!! You have my vote!!
Houston hasn't beaten Chicago in anything. Except diversity, maybe. So I wonder what "more suburban than urban" place you speak of, because that's not Houston.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,632,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labeach View Post
Dude! Southern California has the third largesar economy in the WORLD!! I think we are ahead of Chicago!
Economy and 'alpha city' status are two entirely different things. Anyone with the most rudimentary knowledge of US economics and the notion of 'alpha city' as the term is commonly used could tell you that.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:17 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,367,930 times
Hey everybody.

There's been a troll seeking out a particular member of city-data for a few months. Thread got hijacked so I deleted pretty much everything that's happened since noon today.

As always, there's always room for disagreement, but if anyone sees someone clearly trolling and heating up the place, please report it to us so we can fix and ban them as quickly as possible.

Thread closed.

note: if you can read this, you are not the troll! Thanks for understanding

Last edited by mdz; 07-13-2007 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: clarified
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City