Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City you perfer to live in?
Chicago 31 63.27%
Houston 18 36.73%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times

Advertisements

I think this thread can be deleted. No clue why it even exists.

Not complaining about the poll results, because they're fair. Still, while the poll speaks for itself, it does not speak for the truth about each city.

Chicago has always been a city that is largely revered, and, well, Houston is an underdog. A hot, wet, dirty, sprawling, mean, crowded, overlooked, underrated outcast. Not very popular with many City-Data members, and this probably won't change.

Chicago has got its act together in the eyes of many people, and until Houston gets "better" (or whatever), it's asking to be picked on. No matter that it's a very cosmopolitan, extremely diverse, unique haven for young go-getters in search of world class ammenities and a plethora of activities to get into. Don't be concerned with the fact that it's overcome virtually all southern stereoptypes more than any other city down here. Because none of that matters when you're not New York/Chicago/Boston/San Francisco/Seattle.

Last edited by mpope409; 07-11-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post

Not complaining about the poll results, because they're fair. Still, while the poll speaks for itself, it does not speak for the truth about each city.

Chicago has always been a city that is largely revered, and, well, Houston is an underdog. A hot, wet, dirty, sprawling, mean, crowded, overlooked, underrated outcast. Not very popular with many City-Data members, and this probably won't change.

Chicago has got its act together in the eyes of many people, and until Houston gets "better" (or whatever), it's asking to be picked on. No matter that it's a very cosmopolitan, extremely diverse, unique haven for young go-getters in search of world class ammenities and a plethora of activities to get into. Don't be concerned with the fact that it's overcome virtually all southern stereoptypes more than any other city down here. Because none of that matters when you're not New York/Chicago/Boston/San Francisco/Seattle.
then tell your fellow texan madmann to not post any more polls like this - or ask the moderators to delete it.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,802 times
Let's all get back to Houston and Chicago, I'm still waiting to see if it's possible!!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM

150 posts, read 688,885 times
Quote:

very true post. To be honest all these people who post negative about Houston, probably have never been here or have been here only for a little while. I can sit here and argue every little thing people say negative, but there is no point, ive been here pretty much all my life, so i know this city. But truthfully it really doesnt matter to me what people say about Houston anymore, because you are right, Houston has overcome sooo much, and yet still Houston remains a major major underdog. If it were up to you guys you would compare Houston to Birmingham AL or something, lol. In my eyes its NYC, LA, Hou, Chi, in no particular order, THE BIG FOUR.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:16 PM

But when Houston passes Chicago, it will be bigger better, no doubt, that's what happened to LA, so who's to say it wont in Houston's case? Now with LA its more about catching up to NYC than about competing with Chicago.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
interesting. how about ppl who have been there several times and don't like it?

btw - what does the "media" say to influence people into hating houston? i never hear about houston in my day to day life, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
yea im in Houston, and i never hear about Chicago on a day to day basis, so does that matter, is there a point hidden somewhere in there?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post

It may not be popular here on City-Data, but Houston is popular to the average American. No wonder why its metro is growing twice as fast as Chicago's.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
I look at it this way, negative stereotypes of Houston come from somewhere and I have personally seen several media sources put down the city. This one places rated thing had Miami an "A" grade for weather and Houston an "F" when the weather is the same! If that isn't biased I don't know what is! I agree that those that hate Houston just haven't been here because this city is definately world class.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 383,255 times
I'm moving to Austin, but I lived in Houston for four years and loved it. Houston is a world class city and is one of the most important cities in the U.S., I don't think a poll is going to somehow convince people not to move to Houston.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
yea im in Houston, and i never hear about Chicago on a day to day basis, so does that matter, is there a point hidden somewhere in there?
Yep, Chicago isnt important because you dont hear about it 1,200 miles away in Houston.

Funny thing is, living up here 30 years of my life, Ive NEVER heard Houston mentioned. Wait, nevermind. I did remember hearing Houston mentioned when the White Sox bashed em in the World Series. But dont feel bad, Im a Cubs fan.

And you say you dont hear about Chicago on a daily basis? Just flip on the TV. Youll see it in commercials, on movies, on financial reports, etc, etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City