U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Appalachian state is the best for outdoor recreation?
Alabama 0 0%
Georgia 0 0%
Kentucky 0 0%
Maine 0 0%
New Hampshire 2 6.67%
New York 4 13.33%
North Carolina 9 30.00%
Pennsylvania 8 26.67%
Tennessee 3 10.00%
Vermont 0 0%
Virginia 1 3.33%
West Virginia 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM

12,996 posts, read 17,136,359 times

Advertisements

Which Appalachian state is the best for outdoor recreation?

- Camping
- Skiing
- Hiking
- Biking
- Rock climbing
- Whitewater rafting
- Other outdoor recreation

There are the criteria.

NOTE: This poll excludes states in which only a very small amount of territory is Appalachian, such as Maryland, Massachusetts, Ohio and South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:23 PM

15 posts, read 12,184 times
Really!? Pennsylvania!? No, that is state population bias...North Carolina is the crowning jewel of the appalachians, and I'm a Virginian! North Carolina features 3 major sub ranges of the blueridge mountains, The Smoky Mountains, Unaka Mountains, and the Black Mountains home to the highest peak east of the missisippi that being mount mitchell.

Camping- North Carolina
Skiing- Variable. New Hampshire for a mild winter North Carolina for a cold winter. 50/50
Hiking- North Carolina
Biking- Virginia
Rock Climbing- Maine, Mount Katahdin is rugged.
Whitewater rafting- West Virginia
Other- New York (if you count the adirondacks) Pennsylvania otherwise.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:48 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,217,151 times
NC has the highesst elevation ski resorts. Then of course it has a longer season for hiking, camping, etc.

TN and WV may compete for whitewater but I think NC would still win.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 678,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
NC has the highesst elevation ski resorts. Then of course it has a longer season for hiking, camping, etc.

But the largest elevation drop in NC on vertical feet.com is 1200 ft.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:53 PM

21,034 posts, read 15,325,769 times
Really depends on your preferences. Are you a big skiier? Vermont then no doubt. Want a more temperate climate? Then choose one of the more southerly states.

I'm from east TN, about an hour north of the NC line. We have plenty of hiking, rafting (Nolichucky), biking, and camping opportunities. Skiing this far south is basically limited to peaks in WNC during limited times of the year.

I think NC would be the best on balance if you consider the more temperate climate, but most of the states will work.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 PM

8,232 posts, read 4,160,625 times
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
West Virginia

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,385,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Which Appalachian state is the best for outdoor recreation?

- Camping
- Skiing
- Hiking
- Biking
- Rock climbing
- Whitewater rafting
- Other outdoor recreation

There are the criteria.

NOTE: This poll excludes states in which only a very small amount of territory is Appalachian, such as Maryland, Massachusetts, Ohio and South Carolina.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
But the largest elevation drop in NC on vertical feet.com is 1200 ft.
I am kind of surprised that New York did not get more votes, win the poll in fact. Then maybe I should not be surprised on a website where some people think New York is just Midtown Manhattan.

Take Creeksitter's comment that North Carolina has the highest elevation ski resorts. No good sir, its New York, which surprise!, actually has the most ski resorts in the nation. There is a reason why the Winter Olympics were held in New York State twice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitef...ntain_Ski_Area

New York State has the most public land in the East (more then one third of the state). She has more then 7,000 lakes and ponds, including Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and Lake Champlain, not to mention a connecting canal system. That is a lot of water recreation.

She also has an extensive hiking and biking trail system. Being near major cities will do that for you.

Eastern Mountain Sports Outdoor Schools | Rock Climbing (The Gunks)
Index to Trail Conference Maps and Books | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference (maps of hiking trails near New York City)
Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor :: Get on the water

Old 07-18-2016, 04:10 PM

5,426 posts, read 8,217,151 times
Mt Marcy is the highest point in NY at 5344' and I don't see any resorts in the vicinity.

Beech Mountain is 5,500', Sugar mountain is 5300'.

No contest NY has a larger number of ski resorts. NC has more days in the year that are comfortable for hiking, camping and whitewater rafting.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:57 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,385,358 times
Quote:

Quote:
Mt Marcy is the highest point in NY at 5344' and I don't see any resorts in the vicinity.

No contest NY has a larger number of ski resorts. NC has more days in the year that are comfortable for hiking, camping and whitewater rafting.
Mount Marcy is the High Peaks Wilderness area.

Whiteface Mountain however, is where the Winter Olympics were held. It has the largest drop in eastern North America, including North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitef...ntain_Ski_Area

Whiteface's highest lift unloads at 4,386 feet (1,337 m), a vertical drop of 3,166 ft (965 m) to the base area at 1,220 ft (372 m). Its hike-to terrain, The Slides, is 264 ft (80 m) higher at 4,650 ft (1,417 m), providing Whiteface with the greatest continuous vertical drop in eastern North America at 3,430 feet (1,045 m). This is more vertical than Aspen in Colorado; Snowbird in Utah; Killington, Stowe, Jay Peak, Mad River Glen and Stratton in Vermont; Sugarloaf in Maine; Lake Louise in Alberta; and Mont Tremblant in Quebec. Its neighbor, Little Whiteface, tops in elevation at 3,676 ft (1,120 m). Whiteface has a total of 22 miles (35 km) of ski terrain, spread out over 88 trails.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 678,887 times
Quote:

Beech Mountain only has an 830 ft. vertical drop for skiing, I skied at Mt Wachusett in Massachusetts as a kid it's summit is only 2000ft but it has a 1000 ft vertical drop for skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or