Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are more alike
LA and Houston 139 45.28%
LA and Miami 168 54.72%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's pretty safe to say most people would not know the difference between 5th Avenue and Park Avenue without a famous attraction to give it away. Most would not know the difference between 14th Street and Houston Street. Most would guess they're New York however, based on the look. Same if you showed someone a street lined with palm trees. Most would say it's LA, even if it isn't. Both cities have tons of instantly recognizable landmarks.

Houston doesn't have anything that is instantly recognizable. Show someone a picture of one of Houston's freeways, they'll probably think it's LA lol. That's the difference in fame of the two cities.
There's much more difference in fame than that. You make the difference sound more like Houston to Dallas than LA.

Party at Houston Galleria Apartments > ApartmentNINJAS Apartment Locators

Pretty darn sure most people would say Houston. Other than that, there isn't anything that would make someone instantly recognize Houston, I completely agree.

If I show someone I picture of a random freeway with no street signs, I'm sure I'd get more "I don't know" than I would "LA!"
Other than a few streets, beaches, palm trees, and the LAX sign, nothing in LA is instantly recognizable by the average American. Maybe that's opinionated but I stand by it.

Bourbon St is more instantly recognizable than Rodeo Dr or Hollywood Dr, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's much more difference in fame than that. You make the difference sound more like Houston to Dallas than LA.

Party at Houston Galleria Apartments > ApartmentNINJAS Apartment Locators

Pretty darn sure most people would say Houston. Other than that, there isn't anything that would make someone instantly recognize Houston, I completely agree.

If I show someone I picture of a random freeway with no street signs, I'm sure I'd get more "I don't know" than I would "LA!"
Other than a few streets, beaches, palm trees, and the LAX sign, nothing in LA is instantly recognizable by the average American. Maybe that's opinionated but I stand by it.

Bourbon St is more instantly recognizable than Rodeo Dr or Hollywood Dr, in my opinion.
But if they had to guess, most would say LA. Why? Because LA is well-known for it's congested freeways. It's well known for a lot of things. Houston isn't known for anything, except NASA. That strip mall you posted could be anywhere. Were you serious with that?

Your last comment is nuts, especially with regards to Hollywood Boulevard. The Walk of Fame is known the world over. Millions of tourists from all over the world flock to it (and the Chinese Theater, where the stars leave their handprints) every year. Bourbon Street doesn't have anywhere near that kind of fame.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
But if they had to guess, most would say LA. Why? Because LA is well-known for it's congested freeways. It's well known for a lot of things. Houston isn't known for anything, except NASA. That strip mall you posted could be anywhere. Were you serious with that?

Your last comment is nuts, especially with regards to Hollywood Boulevard. The Walk of Fame is known the world over. Millions of tourists from all over the world flock to it (and the Chinese Theater, where the stars leave their handprints) every year. Bourbon Street doesn't have anywhere near that kind of fame.
You can predict people's answers now?

That's not a strip mall.

Maybe Hollywood Blvd was out of line. But Bourbon is more recognizable than Rodeo. I can predict peoples answers too...

Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
4K ppsm is not density

Also on your point of ports in the city - again gven the land area how is this relevant

When Houtson gets within 1 million of the Chicago Metor it may have meaning

Comparing these NON dense city populations is silly - for this comparison MSA or UA make more sense

Houston is actually 18% smaller than Miami on UA as of today let alone LA
Most of the metro area of Miami is uninhabitable swamp land.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Quote:

That's not a strip mall.

Maybe Hollywood Blvd was out of line. But Bourbon is more recognizable than Rodeo. I can predict peoples answers too...
Nah, just making an informed guess based on LA's worldwide notoriety/popularity. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

That's not a strip mall.

But appears as one in some ways not to mention nearly all cities of any size have a comparable mall to the Galleria - it is not unique

Houston and think we agreed on this before needs to invest in a PR movement and better brand itself (Galleria as the image needs to change). It comes off without an image and would be well served to get one and develop a greater image so-to-speak. As it continues to grow and raise in importance this is actually an important aspect.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,376,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
LOL @ Houstonians never-ending quest to try to become like LA. One important ingredient that H-town is sorely lacking: a distinguishable personality. 99.99% of the population outside of Texas wouldn't be able to tell it apart from Dallas.
As a proud Houstonian I can unequivocally state "becoming LA" is not anything to which our fair citizens aspire. (Some really nice people out there-not.)

Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Four streets... that's not many. It's not like it's New York where most average Americans will blurt out the answer.
Most average Americans don't even know that many NYC streets over LA streets if we're being honest. Seriously, most of us City-data posters who speak of cities EVERYDAY, barely know any streets in NYC outside of the REALLY famous ones, like Wall-street and Broadway.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Most average Americans don't even know that many NYC streets over LA streets if we're being honest. Seriously, most of us City-data posters who speak of cities EVERYDAY, barely know any streets in NYC outside of the REALLY famous ones, like Wall-street and Broadway.

NYC is one of the easiest to know basically all the streets or at least where they are in Manhattan

Plus 5th, Park, Hudson, Houston, Bleecker

NYC is the Avenues and Streets both mostly bearing a number

34th and 5th for example - just the pure mention and I know exactly the intersection (and the massive structure that resides there)...

Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
As a proud Houstonian I can unequivocally state "becoming LA" is not anything to which our fair citizens aspire. (Some really nice people out there-not.)
I am with you on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City