U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US Metro with the worst traffic (excluding L.A.)?
Chicago 35 12.73%
Dallas-Ft.Worth 8 2.91%
Philadelphia 6 2.18%
Houston 26 9.45%
Miami 6 2.18%
Washington D.C. 84 30.55%
Atlanta 49 17.82%
Detroit 1 0.36%
Boston 13 4.73%
San Francisco 15 5.45%
Phoenix 9 3.27%
Seattle 13 4.73%
Minneapolis-St.Paul 2 0.73%
San Diego 4 1.45%
Denver 4 1.45%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:49 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,275,482 times

Advertisements

Jesse,

Manhattan is overcrowded but can you even fathom NY without the subway? It would be chaos. 6 million people ride the subway everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 PM

12,568 posts, read 18,970,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is according to Forbes. The top two worst freeways/interchanges are in LA. However, if you read the article, the slideshow of worst interchanges show the 101/405 interchange, but this article was written over a year ago and since then the interchange has been fixed and now runs quite smoothly I would say.

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.
2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta
5. Houston
6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.
7. Chicago.
8. Detroit
9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.
9. Orlando, Fla.
11. San Jose, Calif.
12. San Diego

Article:Worst Cities For Traffic - Forbes.com

Not really sure how this article works because LA is not near the top.
Gridlock alert! 5 cities with the worst traffic - Christopher Elliott - MSNBC.com

America's Worst Traffic Traps - Forbes.com

So...anyone notice anything odd about which freeways are constantly packed. Not that most are in LA or anything, but I thought the 10 in LA was bad. I didn't know it was bad everywhere else too. It causes traffic problems in LA, Phoenix, Houston, and I'm sure others.
That MSNBC link is bunk. Minneapolis and Seattle made the top 5 on that one. Neither city was even on the list you posted. Neither one is even close to DC, LA, NYC, or Chicago for bad traffic.

From my experience DC is right up there among the worst. I live 30 minutes from work, yet, it often takes 90 minutes to 120 minutes to get there. I once sat in traffic there for 6 hours (normal 30 minutes) due to a bridge jumper. Last month, during bad weather, people were still stuck in traffic until after midnight. I could go on and on.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,416,179 times
Chicago or San Francisco Bay Area

Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 PM

5,259 posts, read 12,579,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i've been to seattle a lot and really don't find the traffic all that bad - it's way better than atlanta, houston and DC, IMHO. we were downtown once and headed back on 405 towards Everett, in the rain (duh) at 5pm on a Friday. We were warned "it's gonna take FOREVAH!". Took about 35 minutes. There are a lot of slowdowns, but I've never seen complete and utter gridlock like in the other places I've mentioned.
Are you sure you were in Seattle? Just yesterday I was in dt Seattle and drove to Everett at 4:30pm and it took well over an hour. I finally got to dt Everett around 5:45. No accidents along the way either. Everyone here always complains about the traffic but I've seen far worse especially in the D.C. area. I find D.C.'s traffic to be the absolute worst.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM

10 posts, read 25,880 times
Austin, TX...

If you've never witnessed it, consider yourself lucky.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 PM

5,421 posts, read 8,313,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanintokyo View Post
I like a 70 minute drive from Denver, and I've driven through it at many times of the day, it's horror.
If anyplace on that list is worse than Denver I'd say Houston and Phoenix
Phoenix's traffic is getting bad during almost all hours of the day & night. It used to be rush hour lasted one hour ... but now it seems to start at 5 AM and doesn't stop until noon. Then the evening rush hour begins about 2 PM and doesn't subside until after 8 PM. Friday's rush hour begins on Thursday night!

Add to that all the crashes that are common on the streets & freeways. If the accident is serious enough, Arizona DPS has been known to close down entire sections of freeways. That's really fun trying to exit and find a detour on the surface streets! Even minor crashes can back up the flow for miles. A lot of that has to do with all the rubbernecking ... that is, people slowing down to gawk at the incident.
()

Another thing that makes Phoenix's traffic so bad is all the transplants that constantly move here with all their peculiar driving habits. You have the slowpokes in the left lanes on the freeways who won't move over, the tailgaters in the slow lane, the red light runners, and the inattentive who cause most of the crashes.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 AM

263 posts, read 720,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Even with LA, NYC traffic may be worse.
The definition of 'traffic' is malleable. Traffic can be caused by an area not being able to physically support the sheer number of vehicles. The Los Angeles metro area contains more cars, light trucks, heavy trucks and motorcycles than any other by far- about 16 million in an area of 20 million people. I don't know how many vehicles NY has, but I'm sure it isn't anywhere near that much as most don't drive. Those that do are blocked by the compact design of the city, so it's not so much 'traffic' as it is a simple matter of physical congestion.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,435,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Are you sure you were in Seattle? Just yesterday I was in dt Seattle and drove to Everett at 4:30pm and it took well over an hour. I finally got to dt Everett around 5:45. No accidents along the way either. Everyone here always complains about the traffic but I've seen far worse especially in the D.C. area. I find D.C.'s traffic to be the absolute worst.
I does seem to me that Seattle would be a natural contender for worst traffic since it, Like Boston and San Fran, is basically a penninsula that you have to either cross bridges to get out of or take a couple of highways that are being used by a large portion of the city to get in or out of town.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Jesse,

Manhattan is overcrowded but can you even fathom NY without the subway? It would be chaos. 6 million people ride the subway everyday!
I've driven in New York before during rush hour. And I have to say although it was not a pleasant experience it wasn't really any worse than being caught on the Interstate or in Downtown Atlanta during rush hour.

New York is a very compact city and you don't have to drive too far to get to most places and also a very high percentage of New Yorkers use the subway which means fewer automobiles on the road.

I myself also used the subway system on many occasions while there and probably didn't notice alot of bad traffic because of that.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Phoenix's traffic is getting bad during almost all hours of the day & night. It used to be rush hour lasted one hour ... but now it seems to start at 5 AM and doesn't stop until noon. Then the evening rush hour begins about 2 PM and doesn't subside until after 8 PM. Friday's rush hour begins on Thursday night!

Add to that all the crashes that are common on the streets & freeways. If the accident is serious enough, Arizona DPS has been known to close down entire sections of freeways. That's really fun trying to exit and find a detour on the surface streets! Even minor crashes can back up the flow for miles. A lot of that has to do with all the rubbernecking ... that is, people slowing down to gawk at the incident.
()

Another thing that makes Phoenix's traffic so bad is all the transplants that constantly move here with all their peculiar driving habits. You have the slowpokes in the left lanes on the freeways who won't move over, the tailgaters in the slow lane, the red light runners, and the inattentive who cause most of the crashes.
Never been to Phoenix but one thing that strikes me about it looking at maps is that although it has half the population of metro Atlanta it seems to have just as many miles of highway. It also is laid out in a grid pattern which is better for moving traffic than the semi grid system of Atlanta. So, unless those Highways have far fewer lanes than the ones in Atlanta I can't imagine the traffic being as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or