Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM

531 posts, read 1,138,331 times

Advertisements

knowing that other people don't like the kind of music they listen to is their sole reason for listening to it.

they're the losers you see at coffee houses who sit around wearing thick black perscription glasses (even if they have 20/20 vision), engaged in pseudo-intellectual conversation pertaining to the various arts.

they're the pretentious looking 18-25 year olds you see on the subway wearing a scarf, skin tight jeans, and a skin tight t shirt with some 'ironic' or 'throwback' saying on it, while listening to some obsure indie rock band on their ipod.

basically they're the kids who take an intro to philosophy class and suddenly think they are enlightened scholars with esoteric knowledge rendering them superior to us degenerate college kids who act like.........well, college kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,832,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
knowing that other people don't like the kind of music they listen to is their sole reason for listening to it.

they're the losers you see at coffee houses who sit around wearing thick black perscription glasses (even if they have 20/20 vision), engaged in pseudo-intellectual conversation pertaining to the various arts.

they're the pretentious looking 18-25 year olds you see on the subway wearing a scarf, skin tight jeans, and a skin tight t shirt with some 'ironic' or 'throwback' saying on it, while listening to some obsure indie rock band on their ipod.

basically they're the kids who take an intro to philosophy class and suddenly think they are enlightened scholars with esoteric knowledge rendering them superior to us degenerate college kids who act like.........well, college kids.
A hipster must have p*ssed in your Cheerios this morning. I see hipsters a lot in Richmond, VA, but I don't think they particularly impact the rest of society all that much...in fact, I don't really care what they do, just like I don't care what red-necks do in their spare time.

Richmond, VA is the only place I've seen a large number of hipsters (while living there).

Last edited by AJNEOA; 10-25-2010 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,507 times
Quote:

you're just upset cause you're not hip.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,393,659 times
Quote:
heh...know plenty of those. Real philosophy, at least the kind done in most philosophy departments, is more akin to head hurting stuff like math. I don't think most of these people would enjoy writing proofs or doing case analysis. I think intro classes are set up in a way so they can recruit some people to major in philosophy, therefore the professors can keep their jobs. These same people often just turn out as English/Communications majors. Having conversational level breadth of the liberal arts is pretty easy to see through. People who are into philosophy are generally straight up nerds, much like somebody into computer science, not hipsters.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
heh...know plenty of those. Real philosophy, at least the kind done in most philosophy departments, is more akin to head hurting stuff like math. I don't think most of these people would enjoy writing proofs or doing case analysis. I think intro classes are set up in a way so they can recruit some people to major in philosophy, therefore the professors can keep their jobs. These same people often just turn out as English/Communications majors. Having conversational level breadth of the liberal arts is pretty easy to see through. People who are into philosophy are generally straight up nerds, much like somebody into computer science, not hipsters.

exactly. I'm actually a philosophy major--yet I am far from a nerd and far from a hipster. I'm taking it solely because of the logical and analytical thinking it entails, as this will help me score well on the LSAT, and thus increase my chances of getting into--and succeeding--at a top law school.

But hipsters are known for sitting around coffee shops discussing various existential/epistemological concepts or ideas that they have virtually no knowledge of (aside from some rudimentary account they may have found in their PHIL101 class).

usually I couldn't care less what kind of 'group' someone fits into, but there's something about hipsters that just makes me want to punch those 6inch black retro specs through their eye balls. i simply don't get it. why intentionally try to look dirty? why listen to overtly awful music? the list goes on...if you want to express your individuality, that's fine--but why do it like an *******?

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 10-25-2010 at 03:25 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,532,293 times
What's a hipster? Sounds lame...

Old 10-25-2010, 03:23 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,275,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
as lame as they come...

Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,190,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Go stand on the corner of Milwaukee Ave and North Ave or take a stroll down Logan Blvd and you will see lots of them. Heck, I even saw some hipsters hanging out at a new place in Bridgeport recently.

Personally they don't bother me, although some of them try too hard and do some weird things (like what's up with the fixie bikes?).

Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 PM

a hipster is someone who spends a lot of money on clothes that they hope will make them look like they spent no money on their clothes; they spend a lot of time on styling their hair to make it appear as though they spent no time styling their hair; they are pretentious; they are turned on by all things ironic; they never have more than 2% body fat; they shun certain parts of technology yet fully embrace others; they wear 6inch thick black retro glasses despite having perfect vision........................

...aight you know what? why don't you just head over to your local coffee shop and see for yourself? as soon as you get the seemingly unexplainable urge to go punch a particular guy in the face, you know you've found yourself a hipster.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,681,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Go stand on the corner of Milwaukee Ave and North Ave or take a stroll down Logan Blvd and you will see lots of them. Heck, I even saw some hipsters hanging out at a new place in Bridgeport recently.

Personally they don't bother me, although some of them try too hard and do some weird things (like what's up with the fixie bikes?).
It's a stupid trend that these people fall into... They will make up random excuses as to why a fixie is the proper bike for their area but in reality it is the least practical bike most of the time. And they'll pay an arm and a leg for them. I met a guy who would take old fixies, put a few bucks into them, and sell them for hundreds of dollars to these people on craigslist.
Don't get me started on critical mass and the selfishness & ignorance that hipsters bring to the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City