U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2010, 03:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,476,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Since you are into electronic music can you please tell me what the fascination with "dubstep" is? It is one of those hipster music styles that I find just awful.
I don't usually associate dubstep with hipsters but I can see where you're coming from. I do associate dubstep with a particular crowd though. The kids that like dubstep nowadays remind me of the kids who liked Dnb and jungle back in the 90s/2000 era. Now first let me say there is some jungle I like alot and also some dubstep I really dig too. Having said that there is a large amount of it that is just droning garbage to me. The whole wah wah wobble sound has been way overdone and outright cliched.

Now back to the jungle/dubstep people. I get the suspicion that alot of these people like/listen to dubstep simply for the sake of coming off edgy and hardcore. That's exactly the way it was with dnb and jungle. Like they were too intelligent/hard/cutting edge to listen to house or trance. Personally I say give me a good bumpin house song anyday. It's got more groove and soul in my opinion at least.

One thing I can't stand is when people listen to a certain type of music, dress a certain way, act a certain way, read certain books, etc. for the main purpose of projecting an image rather than truly enjoying whatever it is they are doing. I tend to stay away from alot of mainstream hip hop/pop music because I truly don't like alot of it. BUT I will readily admit when I like a song/artist i.e. Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, The Black Eyed Peas, TI, Katy Perry, even if a hipster or whoever it may be may think I don't look to hip/cool/chic.

For me I say just like what you like and if you really are so "hip" it'll show regardless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,885,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post

One thing I can't stand is when people listen to a certain type of music, dress a certain way, act a certain way, read certain books, etc. for the main purpose of projecting an image rather than truly enjoying whatever it is they are doing. I tend to stay away from alot of mainstream hip hop/pop music because I truly don't like alot of it. BUT I will readily admit when I like a song/artist i.e. Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, The Black Eyed Peas, TI, Katy Perry, even if a hipster or whoever it may be may think I don't look to hip/cool/chic.

For me I say just like what you like and if you really are so "hip" it'll show regardless
i do certainly agree.

but why i like hipsters so much is cause of their oh so cute girls..... they always smile at me.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM

13,277 posts, read 12,797,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
i do certainly agree.

but why i like hipsters so much is cause of their oh so cute girls..... they always smile at me.
Yeah, they do have some hot hipster chicks.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM

13,277 posts, read 12,797,575 times
People are talking about hipsters like they're Gypsies or something.lol.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,885,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
this is what they sound like, "they're so pretentious. it's majorly affecting my life! aaargh!!!"

Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,614,493 times
What Was the Hipster? -- New York Magazine

Old 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,056,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
I don't usually associate dubstep with hipsters but I can see where you're coming from. I do associate dubstep with a particular crowd though. The kids that like dubstep nowadays remind me of the kids who liked Dnb and jungle back in the 90s/2000 era. Now first let me say there is some jungle I like alot and also some dubstep I really dig too. Having said that there is a large amount of it that is just droning garbage to me. The whole wah wah wobble sound has been way overdone and outright cliched.

Now back to the jungle/dubstep people. I get the suspicion that alot of these people like/listen to dubstep simply for the sake of coming off edgy and hardcore. That's exactly the way it was with dnb and jungle. Like they were too intelligent/hard/cutting edge to listen to house or trance. Personally I say give me a good bumpin house song anyday. It's got more groove and soul in my opinion at least.

heh I've been listening to a similar style progressive house since about 1997. think the long digweed/warren mixes...they are still mixing and generally better than anybody else on the scene as they were then imho.
doesn't get old to me b/c the tracks are diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
no, gypsies actually have their own culture.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:31 AM

531 posts, read 591,193 times
what the hell is the difference between dubstep and techno/house?! I know they're different genres, but I honestly cannot distinguish one from the other. and when I googled it, the answers were either too vague or too technical (i.e. using specific dj/producer terminology) to be of any use.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,021,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartPLace View Post
D.C. hands down, hipsters everywhere! We now have the "Hipster Express" that goes from U street NE to Park Slope in Brooklyn.
DC never struck me as a hipster hotspot. I've always thought that if you were in DC you were either a government employee, or you were black. Obviously an exageration, but you get the general idea.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 AM

759 posts, read 983,834 times
DC strikes me as one of the least hipster towns. DC is very preppy.

Even places like U Street and Adams Morgan are pretty frat boyish compared to, say, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, or Misson, SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City