Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 AM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've spent a good deal of time around these people and of course all of them aren't the stereotype.. But many are, and it's more than a few bad eggs. It's to the point where it's unbearable to be around them with the hypocrites, snobs and entitlement attitudes that many have.

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Is a Hipster the same thing as a D-bag?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
Quote:
Agreed. From what I've seen, hipsters take a type of music or scene, and water it down with bland, untalented music. They are helping ruin punk, indie rock and techno...... Mashing together a bunch of fashion styles and music genres isn't groundbreaking. Talent is still needed.
*co sign* haha

I agree with you 100% on this though. Seems like some of this music that so-called hipsters like tends to be whiney and like you said watered down. Like the passion and what gave it it's edge has been taken out. Im a huge electronic music fan myself, specifically dance music, so when you mentioned techno that made me think of the hipster electronic music I hear and how it just doesn't groove me or make me wanna dance. Plus the whole trying to look "hip" and being edgey or scene or whatever the hell is such a childish notion anyway.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is exactly the kind of **** I'm talking about:

That vid, one that someone actually had to take time to make-is quite offensive and in really poor taste(not to mention full of IGNORANT blanket generalization)-but it also shows that some people in SF pay much more attention to Oakland than vice versa...LOL

At the same time, I lived in the City for some time and made some very close friends and when they visit me in Oakland, they can't believe that Oakland has neighborhoods such as Rockridge.

Quote:
Did you know that white people are now the largest demographic in Oakland? And its not because a huge number of them came either... it has more to do with areas like the Oakland-Berkeley border (historically black neighborhood) becoming increasingly gentrified and too expensive for the people who were living there before... the black demographic decreased the most. Oh yeah, did I mention Berkeley is the baby SF of Hipsters? Gotta love CAL... all those starving CAL hipsters reduced to having to live in South Berkeley/North Oakland because... they chose to.
To call someone a 'hipster' in the Bay Area is almost seen as a slur these days because there is a connotation that such a person is a wannabe.

Oakland 'hipsters' are not the martini-sipping yuppie type, but rather the edgier artist type. I love that. There is much more depth to that demographic than those who think their lives are an episode of the Sex-and-the-city.(Well, not all of SF is like that, but there are tons of those kind in the City).

Anyway,
Oakland, Berkeley have tons of hipsters, as does the City obviously.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
*co sign* haha

I agree with you 100% on this though. Seems like some of this music that so-called hipsters like tends to be whiney and like you said watered down. Like the passion and what gave it it's edge has been taken out. Im a huge electronic music fan myself, specifically dance music, so when you mentioned techno that made me think of the hipster electronic music I hear and how it just doesn't groove me or make me wanna dance. Plus the whole trying to look "hip" and being edgey or scene or whatever the hell is such a childish notion anyway.
Since you are into electronic music can you please tell me what the fascination with "dubstep" is? It is one of those hipster music styles that I find just awful.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Since you are into electronic music can you please tell me what the fascination with "dubstep" is? It is one of those hipster music styles that I find just awful.
I love Electronic music, but I can not stand Dubstep.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
Good to see another CD'r with a head on their shoulders.

Note how in his post, while trying to criticize people with a background in philosophy for being boring and how it blows your mind to think that they could get laid, he said "it is quite fathomable to believe how they even get laid". so he basically just said something equivalent to "its easy to understand how philosophers get laid".

I wonder if while trying to sound smart he mistakenely said fathomable instead of UNFATHOMABLE, or if this is just some of that characteristic hipster irony that I am simply incapable of comprehending.
did you ever read your posts and think, "now why the hell did i even bother to respond?" that's kinda how i'm feeling right now. but wow, you caught on to some little typo and now you know everything about me. try to figure this one out [fart noise]

this thread is stupid. obviously, some of you have insecurity issues. maybe you guys got offended when you asked one of those nerdy hipsters at a local film shop who directed 8 1/2 and they looked at you like a moron. i wouldn't blame them.... or you for that matter.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Uhh Existentialism is part of philosophy, continental philosophy. Most of your top philosophy depts are more analytical with smaller continental specialties. Though it is discussed of course... It would be pretty hard to get an academic position just based on existential philosophy.
Greeks inventing orgies, while I am not sure orgies are an invention per se, but come naturally among species is more akin to anthropology, or if you want to specifically target greek culture then that would be more a course in classics, not philosophy. If you did want to relate it back to philosophy however you'd probably have to look more specifically towards hedonist philosophy of ancient greeks, probably even more specifically epicureanism.

LoL @ philosophy being pretentious, do you even know what pretentious means?
god, this is soo boring! ugh!!!!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
I <heart> my hipster renters since I'm an old hippie and can relate to the antiestablishment vibe. Also they like gardening, which is good. Also some hipster minimalists forgo heating and AC which means less maintenance headaches.

But I know what you mean about the pretentious sort - I encounter a lot of them as i have one house in a trendy 'hood - yikes. But so far I have avoided the worst of them - perhaps they see my non trendy adress on the rental app and turn up their noses at doing business with me.

But it is amusing how these "individualists" have such a lemming like mindset. I have one building in a neighborhood that is turning to hipster in the last year or two. It has gone from waiting 5 months to rent an apartment to 5 people putting in an application. I used to give a "non - snob - discount" but not anymore. I'll switch that to my own non-trendy blue collar neighborhood now.

The ironic thing is the renters in the non trendy areas are often the hippest folks of all! They don't have to prove anything by having a fashionable adress.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,753 times
nobody mentioned los angeles? loads and loads and loads of hepsters. in fact move here and you will get sick of their ironic moustaches and trucker hats. they are the norm here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City